Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I'm wondering if I could lightly trim the top and bottom of the plate to make it less visually prominent. Then I could lower it and reduce the overall height some more.

If it still looks right, no one should care. Plus I drove around for years with the bottom edge folded and torn on the old one.

Yay or nay on the front plate?
View attachment 109863

View attachment 109862

The bracket is modified to attach to the winch.

I would probably trim off the mountains and try to stick it under the fairlead. (unless it fit as a whole.)

The way you mounted it at an angle is a nice touch. It's the most aerodynamic part of the jeep. :ROFLMAO:

I trimmed the plate on my motorcycle to be just bigger than the numbers and tags. I figured if I caught grief for it I'd say it got bent to hell and I cleaned it up best I could.

I figure my front plate will end up on the fairlead if I ever get around to buying the clips. Not a lot of impromptu crawling around my house so I should be able to pull it off it stuff gets really gnarly.

Could you modify one of those flip up license plate holders (that mount to the fairlead) to work?

Last edited:
Could you modify one of those flip up license plate holders (that mount to the fairlead) work?

Flipping or removing the plate to access the winch is an action I want to avoid. Also, aesthetically I like having the fairlead visible.

Debated on it, but ended up putting a Smittybilt Fairlead license plate bracket on the front. Very happy with it. Works with roller or hawse fairleads. Just pop it off if I need to use winch or go off-road.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...nted-license-plate-bracket-4432/_/R-DSBP-4432
Screenshot_20190815-092004_Pixlr.jpg

Because I believe I can make one that doesn't protrude out so far. Theirs sticks out more than 4", because they put the entire receiver sleeve in front of the bumper. I think I have it figured out to 2" if I sink the receiver sleeve into the crossmember and have the pin right up against the bumper face.

20190704_142457.jpg

Reactions: tworley
Are you going to add a hitch to it or no?
There will be a hitch receiver.

Also, can you post a few pics of your front upper shock mounts? IIRC you raised yours some right? Have you had any issues with them?

20180308_201719.jpg

For what these are, they work fine. I just mimmiced the stock style upper mount.

Last edited: