Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Today was spent cycling the front axle trying to get a fresh look at why I have so much tire/fender wall interference.

I did find that the axle wasn't as square as I thought it was. The passenger side needed to move forward about 1/4", which does help the situation. But with Blaine on the phone comparing measurements with a TJ in his shop, we have come to the conclusion that I need to move the track bar mount forward. I think I'll do that next weekend.

The is one more thing I'll look at with the body mounts, but I am doubtful.

Once that it done, I should be able to get the front Foxes installed.

Here's a shot of full bump at the track bar.
20210206_162811.jpg

I also found that the engine skid leg was intervening with the upper link. The fix was to roll the leg so the flange is away from the arm.
20210206_155609.jpg

it's gonna be fun tryin to keep that chunk reusable, couldn't hurt to have a backup on hand. it was a PITA to remove in pieces. a lift will give you cutting angle options the ground doesn't but it's no picnic.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
it's gonna be fun tryin to keep that chunk reusable, couldn't hurt to have a backup on hand. it was a PITA to remove in pieces. a lift will give you cutting angle options the ground doesn't but it's no picnic.

I've been talking to Blaine about it for a while now. He moves and reuses them fairly often.

Reactions: someguysjeep
There is another thread out there about the toughest mods we’ve done. Thinking about it now, cutting off that damned factory frame side track bar mount was one of my toughest. But, I’m sure it was my technique. I think i used a grinder and a sawzaw.

How will you do it JJ? Did Blaine give you any tips?

There is another thread out there about the toughest mods we’ve done. Thinking about it now, cutting off that damned factory frame side track bar mount was one of my toughest. But, I’m sure it was my technique. I think i used a grinder and a sawzaw.

How will you do it JJ? Did Blaine give you any tips?

I'll grind what I can get to and then use a plasma cutter. If I cut the frame, I'll weld it shut. Sounds easy!

I have clevises and bungs for a double adjustable track bar brace and the Easter Bunny sent me a track bar mount.
20210213_094040.jpg

Today was supposed to be the day for the front stretch, but it's too cold out!

But I am going to install this new steering damper that is supposed to be stiffer than my current forum favorite Monroe.
20210213_094552.jpg

The OMESD48 has a slightly larger body and has a slightly longer compressed length and slightly longer stroke than the Monroe SC2928. About an 1/8-3/16" all around.
20210213_103124.jpg

And when compressing both by hand, side by side, the OMESD48 is significantly softer than the Monroe. $26 vs $96. Stupid! It's going back and I'm sticking with the forum favorite.

Old Man Emu is the Patagonia of steering dampers.

Last edited:
And when compressing both by hand, side by side, the OMESD48 is significantly softer than the Monroe. $26 vs $96. Stupid! It's going back and I'm sticking with the forum favorite.

Old Man Emu is the Patagonia of steering dampers.
That's not what my OME damper looks like.

20210207_143959.jpg