Daily driver or trail rig? What's your Jeeps job?

DD or Trail Rig?

• Total voters
I put in other. Mine is a DD, but the streets where I live are kind of like a trail. Full of potholes, mud, gravel, etc. When in the rainy season which about 6 months out of the year, we have floods of 1-2.5’

Reactions: Apparition
I voted trail rig but will usually once every week or two drive it to work on sunny days or if we get a lot of snow. I can and sometimes will drive to trails if there close but like trailering more often then not. Ease of mind knowing I can get it home and can try whatever I want to try without being scared to break.

Mine is now a Trail Rig but started life with me as a DD. I was a poor military member for a lot of years and only had one rig. Didn't matter what it was most of my rigs since I was 25 have been 4WD.
I DD a Suzuki Samurai, a CJ-5, YJ, ZJ, Nissan p/u, you name it if it has 4WD I might have owned it.

My current rig is now a trail rig but even as I was building it I hadn't planned on it being JUST a trail rig. But I'll admit that I like being able to load it on a trailer and take it to the trail and then not have to worry about bringing it home if something BREAKS. You can wheel a little harder if you don't have to drive home 200-300 miles.
Once I get it back on the road again I'll see how it goes and will likely drive it more often.

I daily drive although I don't have too. I have several other cars, but once I got my Jeep, those became once in a while cars. LOL My Miata has been driven maybe 4 days this year, basically so I could get a smog on it. The PT Cruiser has been used more this year because hubby quit being on call at his work. I am actually going to drive it tomorrow though because I need to get some totes and don't want to strap them down to the Jeeps deck. The VW Bus was my daily, but now we take it to breakfast on the weekends because it has a table and we can at least kind of "eat out" since we can't eat in the restaurants right now. LOL We just go through the drive thru's and park in their parking lots and enjoy. :D The Ford truck........ ah, well you guys get it. LOL

Mine sits in a garage and leaks oil a drop or two at a time.
It’s a toy for me to tinker with. I’ll drive it maybe 500 miles this year.

Bought new in 2000 as a daily driver/light trail use for about 8 years and 195,000 miles! Now it’s primary use is a trail rig, although it still see’s the streets when feel like a topless/door less ride in the country!

Reactions: Apparition
My TJ is a 5th car for my family. We have a classic Camaro and the TJ that will get marginal use. The Camaro has been in the family for a long time. I drive the TJ on weekends and will probably take it on moderate and below trails half of the time. Other than that we take it on short runs around the valley. My goal is to maintain it in near stock condition (a few changes here and there) but my rock crawling days are behind me at this point.

Reactions: Zorba
Mine does it all, DD,

t1.jpeg

work truck towing a tool trailer

t2.jpeg

camper towing a SquareDrop Trailer

t3.jpeg

way better than a pickup with an open trailer

t4.jpg

and the best winter vehicle ever.... with winter tires

t5.jpeg

I put 24K miles a year on it, it'll turn over 400K kms, 240K miles this winter.

My first vehicle in 1972 was an M38. And my Uncle drove one in 1944 in Europe when all Jeeps were government issued.

Jeeps have been in the family forever.

56.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is a weekend fun vehicle, I stated when my wife said we needed a car to leave at the cabin. Whenever I went to play golf she had no car, so I set a $5k budget and found a very clean 95 YJ Rio Grande 4 cyl. Well that $5k turned into a YJ that got a replacement Dana 44 for the Dana 35, ARB Lockers front and rears and 33's and a re-gear.

It then turned into $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 2005 Rubicon on 35's w/ a lot of goodies. It is very street and trail friendly all made by installing quality parts. On long trips it gets trailered on short tips its driven to the trails, store, golf course, any excuse I can use to drive it.

My DD is 2015 Yukon Denali much more comfy but not as much fun

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_4737.JPG

Other.

My TJ has come full circle. I bought it as a street machine to drive on warm summer nights with the top down. Then I took it off road a few months later & like a crackhead I couldn’t stay out of the mountains, it transitioned into an almost exclusive off-road toy for a few years. Fast forward to this year, following many wheel/break/fix/repeat cycles it has reemerged as a street machine I drive on warm summer nights. I’ve got it tuned like no other time in its history, smooth as glass, quiet, & corners like a dream, it is such a pleasure to drive these days I’m having a hard time with the idea of mangling it, again. I probably will at some point, but with far more balance.

We’re going camping this weekend & it’ll get the nod, just a local campground, no off roading. I’d like to do more things like this with it, scoping out some trailer setups though I’m not 100% sold on that yet. We’ll see, she has a bright future as a fun-mobile no matter what she’s called to do.

Mine used to be a pseudo-daily-driver since I drove it to school but always had a backup if it went down. Nowadays, I don't need a car at all so it sits mostly parked. My work just stopped me from taking the train due to Covid. I got a rental car for the next few weeks until my classes start back up again. If I didn't have to leave it in downtown Chicago, I wouldn't be too opposed to driving it in. A TJ on 35's isn't going to be great for city driving and I don't want to leave it parked all day down here.

I daily drove mine for 8 years as it was my only vehicle. 4 years ago i retired it to pleasure ride, and got myself a little commuter to eat up the miles and save me gas.