Daily driving an Atlas

d-cannon

Reformed JKUR, FJ40 80 100, 4Rnr, and Bronco owner
Supporting Member
The 241 in my high-mileage, maroon 04 Rubicon grenaded. Because replacement 241s are so pricey and rare, I am contemplating getting an Atlas for my lower mileage, white 04 Rubicon and putting the white’s 241 into the maroon (and then unloading the maroon). I do not daily drive either Jeep, but I drive a few hours each way to hit trails and also drive around town on nice days. I am curious as to any issues that might arise from using an Atlas in this manner.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
The 241 in my high-mileage, maroon 04 Rubicon grenaded. Because replacement 241s are so pricey and rare, I am contemplating getting an Atlas for my lower mileage, white 04 Rubicon and putting the white’s 241 into the maroon (and then unloading the maroon). I do not daily drive either Jeep, but I drive a few hours each way to hit trails and also drive around town on nice days. I am curious as to any issues that might arise from using an Atlas in this manner.
It is a transfer case, that's what it does. It don't care.

Mine growls when the stupid OD Lugs the motor. Other than that it turns the output with a 1:1 ratio sufficiently for my driving needs.

what is the price on an atlas 2 speed?

We did a flipped Dana 300 paired with a NWF eco box. Overall length is about 17”. Gives you the option of 2.73 low range and a compound low of about 7-1.
Total ran about $2500
The flip kit we used uses atlas shifters and linkage for a tj. So it came out looking like they belong in the console.
The main reason we went this route was the length/size differences.

5B62EF3A-B76D-4B3F-AE2C-A34896229C82.jpeg

Before I retired, I drove it daily. Down the hill, basically coasting in 4th or 5th gear. Then coming back up in 3rd or 4th gear.
Seeing the 90 weight gear oil in the sight tube and not changing color was a comfort.
And just like Jeep hair, Atlas don't care. She can take it.

Reactions: srimes
I can't tell a difference between the NP231 and the atlas on the road. I drive around 3-5hrs, on-road, on wheeling days.

I can't tell a difference between the NP231 and the atlas on the road. I drive around 3-5hrs, on-road, on wheeling days.
Do you hear any gear rattle when lugging on the road? I know the atlas internals are a bit different than the 300 these days.

Do you hear any gear rattle when lugging on the road? I know the atlas internals are a bit different than the 300 these days.
No, I didn't notice anything after putting the atlas in. I thought I'd hear it since it was tucked up higher than the NP231 but it was the same.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I don't remember what transmission @B00mb00m has but the 42RLE does that partial lockup crap that'll shake just about anything. For manual transmissions it's probably not an issue. If you have a 42RLE you're probably used to the partial lockup anyway.

Reactions: B00mb00m
what is the price on an atlas 2 speed?

We did a flipped Dana 300 paired with a NWF eco box. Overall length is about 17”. Gives you the option of 2.73 low range and a compound low of about 7-1.
Total ran about $2500
The flip kit we used uses atlas shifters and linkage for a tj. So it came out looking like they belong in the console.
The main reason we went this route was the length/size differences.

View attachment 301938
I remember you did this. Did you do a write up here or follow something you found elsewhere? It's an interesting option for me.

I remember you did this. Did you do a write up here or follow something you found elsewhere? It's an interesting option for me.
I originally got the idea from blackjack to do the Ecobox with a ford Dana 20. Which is shorter than a 300. But decided to do the 300 due to being able to run the atlas TJ specific shifters. My build thread should have most everything in there. The 300 Ecobox setup was close enough to the original 231 that both rigs we did didn’t need new drive shafts. Was pretty much a bolt in deal. It has been great with the 4cyl power issues. I still have the option to install 4-1 gears in the 300 for ultimate gear select ability. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It isn’t cheap by any means, but function is great.

I originally got the idea from blackjack to do the Ecobox with a ford Dana 20. Which is shorter than a 300. But decided to do the 300 due to being able to run the atlas TJ specific shifters. My build thread should have most everything in there. The 300 Ecobox setup was close enough to the original 231 that both rigs we did didn’t need new drive shafts. Was pretty much a bolt in deal. It has been great with the 4cyl power issues. I still have the option to install 4-1 gears in the 300 for ultimate gear select ability. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It isn’t cheap by any means, but function is great.
Thanks. I'll take a look again. I really like the idea of having a dual range transfer case.

You can find the Ecobox donor parts from a 241 case cheap. Just have to make sure you get an input shaft that matches the gear cut change.

I don't remember what transmission @B00mb00m has but the 42RLE does that partial lockup crap that'll shake just about anything. For manual transmissions it's probably not an issue. If you have a 42RLE you're probably used to the partial lockup anyway.
you're correct 42RLE. I dream of the day i replace it with something better.

Reactions: pagrey