Dakota bellhousing

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
Well, this happened today. I've posted a couple of times about wanting to do a hemi swap. I even had a hemi truck for a bit until it turned out the sucker was seized solid. Anyway, I picked up a 97 3.9l magnum Dakota motor complete with AX15 transmission for $200 today. So, now I have the correct conversion bellhousing and need to sell a 3.9l Dakota motor, which is probably worth scrap value, a 2wd AX15 which should be worth $100? and a pair of headers for the 3.9L. Everything was attached, dust shield, clutch fork, flywheel, etc.

So, piece #1, lol....

dakota_bh1.jpg

dakota_bh2.jpg

So now you just need to find that Hemi engine and you're all set to rock and roll. I'd read those bellhousings were getting harder to find. You got it for a great price too.

Reactions: hardtailpan
So now you just need to find that Hemi engine and you're all set to rock and roll. I'd read those bellhousings were getting harder to find. You got it for a great price too.
LOL, I think I did ok, I hope to get maybe $100 back selling and scrapping the rest. They're getting crazy money for just bellhousings on ebay, never mind the clutch fork and dust shield.

Lots more parts to find, but this is an important one. Need to figure out the flywheel, clutch, starter pieces, and need to find a 2005/6 gas tank and NVLD setup. The hemi is actually the easy part. The rest is the small detail stuff which is the part that kills you: gas lines, AC lines, power steering lines, etc. I understand the harness crossover, I may do it myself or use hotwire. They are expensive but from what I've heard they offer a lot of value for what they charge, and the crossover isn't trivial. Plus, I'll likely need them or someone for the reflash on the RAM ECU.

Right now I'm in the parts collection phase, my guess is this could take a while....

LOL, I think I did ok, I hope to get maybe $100 back selling and scrapping the rest. They're getting crazy money for just bellhousings on ebay, never mind the clutch fork and dust shield.

Lots more parts to find, but this is an important one. Need to figure out the flywheel, clutch, starter pieces, and need to find a 2005/6 gas tank and NVLD setup. The hemi is actually the easy part. The rest is the small detail stuff which is the part that kills you: gas lines, AC lines, power steering lines, etc. I understand the harness crossover, I may do it myself or use hotwire. They are expensive but from what I've heard they offer a lot of value for what they charge, and the crossover isn't trivial. Plus, I'll likely need them or someone for the reflash on the RAM ECU.

Right now I'm in the parts collection phase, my guess is this could take a while....
If you want to spend your money somewhere, Jeep Speed Shop is also super knowledgeable on the HEMI and LS swaps, though I think they stopped “officially” supporting LS swaps because of CA CARB.

f you want to spend your money somewhere, Jeep Speed Shop is also super knowledgeable on the HEMI and LS swaps, though I think they stopped “officially” supporting LS swaps because of CA CARB.
Yeah, I've seen JSS pop up here from time to time. My understanding is they are very good.

I'm going to try to collect the parts and then at some point do most of this myself. The issue with that is if I run into problems these places won't help me as I haven't purchased anything from them.
That being said, I do plan on purchasing the Advanced Adapters motor mounts, so maybe I'll get a little help. ;)

I ended up buying a tranny from a dodge 2500. Needless to say. It wouldn’t have fit. Lol.

went the diesel route instead. Have the hemi and tranny and wiring all ready to go for a 55 Ford F100 now.
Diesel is very cool!
I'm going to keep my eyes open for a hemi truck. I had one at one point but the motor was seized solid, it likely sucked a valve as I understand happens sometimes. I'd like the whole truck so I can pull off the parts myself and get what I need at my leisure.

Is your diesel done? Pointer to some pics? Also, the f100 will be very cool with the hemi!

I ended up buying a tranny from a dodge 2500. Needless to say. It wouldn’t have fit. Lol.

went the diesel route instead. Have the hemi and tranny and wiring all ready to go for a 55 Ford F100 now.
This is interesting and I don't know if anyone has done it this way yet. I think this is the NV4500 with integrated bellhousing. I don't know if this is compatible with the 231/241 tcase or not. I also don't know how much longer it would be than the stock driveline. This certainly would be a great option if it fit as the tranny is much stronger than the AX15/NV3550.

Reactions: hardtailpan
That tranny is massive. When it arrived in the crate. I knew immediately it wasn’t going in the Jeep. Then I started the search for a roll over TJ with the Six-speed in it. The entire Jeep cost me $2000. And being that I live on a military base I couldn’t keep it around long. So I lost some potential sales from scrapping it as soon as I took as much as I could from it.

Well, this happened today. I've posted a couple of times about wanting to do a hemi swap. I even had a hemi truck for a bit until it turned out the sucker was seized solid. Anyway, I picked up a 97 3.9l magnum Dakota motor complete with AX15 transmission for $200 today. So, now I have the correct conversion bellhousing and need to sell a 3.9l Dakota motor, which is probably worth scrap value, a 2wd AX15 which should be worth $100? and a pair of headers for the 3.9L. Everything was attached, dust shield, clutch fork, flywheel, etc.

So, piece #1, lol....

View attachment 206257

View attachment 206259
What was the part number on the dust shield? I can not figure it out... Thanks. Or post a picture please.

What was the part number on the dust shield? I can not figure it out... Thanks. Or post a picture please.
I'm not sure how much this will help but here are pics of both sides of the dust cover. I couldn't find a number on it but its still pretty dirty and its like 11 degrees here right now lol.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

I'm not sure how much this will help but here are pics of both sides of the dust cover. I couldn't find a number on it but its still pretty dirty and its like 11 degrees here right now lol.

View attachment 224840

View attachment 224842
Thanks! this does help alot. I found this cover locally. It was from this 3.9L dakota Bellhousing. It fits the bell housing great! however, it does not slip between the bell housing and Hemi very well. The indentations interfere with the back of the block (Not sure why this wouldn't be a problem on the 3.9). Comparatively, i ordered this cover: 52107753AC from Chrysler for a hemi application. It fits between bellhosuing and Hemi great! however, the starter location is slightly different (wrong for this bell housing)

View recent photos.jpeg