Damaged skid plate transmission mount bolts

chuckie669

I'm removing the skid plate on rusty and the front smaller skid plate must be removed to put a jack on the trans. Once i get that done I can drop the trans skid plate. I noticed the four bolts in the center are irreparably damaged. Will I be able to replace those protruding bolts once I get everything off? Was thinking about just grinding them off because what else can I do.

I bought nutserts for the frame in case but not sure how that center section is bolted and couldn't find much help online

15907744639814473647849090102231.jpg

Those are studs coming from the transmission mount down through the skid plate. There are four 13mm (if I recall correctly) nuts under the skid.

517C5C4C-8AB3-454A-A061-64C9AF2FC391.jpeg

The easiest repair would be to replace the transmission mount.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Soak them in Kroil or PB blaster and then hit them with an impact or really long breaker bar. They’ll either turn or snap off.

Make sure you support the transmission before removing the skid. Much of the weight of the driveline sits on that mount. You can remove those nuts without anything falling, but as soon as the skid is removed, the whole driveline will drop down.

There is no factory engine skid. Many aftermarket skids are available though. If you have one, I would run it. A hole in the oil pan will make for a very bad day.

It is safe to run without an engine skid on-road and mild trails. You cannot run without the transfer case skid, as it doubles as the crossmember.

If you want to upgrade, Savvy and UCF both make good aluminum engine skids that will work with the factory center skid. The aluminum won’t rust like steel will.

I planned for that and bought a complete nutsert package in advance from black magic brakes.
Looks like impact and prying loosened all but one so i guess I'm fortunate that I only have to cut one

Thanks for the help everyone. Got the skid removed and looks like I may have only one hole after hitting everything with a hammer to see what falls apart which is better than I was expecting.

15907808921552584174868553321510.jpg

15907809271943730422937895295995.jpg

Reactions: Steel City 06
The skid had actually been rotting up towards the frame. Basically had sheets of metal between the skid and the frame. That was my prime concern and why I was pulling everything apart.

The indentions you highlighted were where the metal was sheeting off the skid, see before pic.

I know there's some frame fixes in my future, but trying to slow the cancer where I can and getting new nutserts and bolts will make others job easier in the future

20200503_114528.jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up, I've had trans mount with noth 1/2" nut and with 13 mm nuts. Be sure to use the right ones as either nut could be forced onto either stud.
Place a washer between skid and frame to open up a small area to let the frame dry. It will help keep that heavy sheet rust away.

I'll take the new mount up to hardware store once it comes in and plan to replace all bolts and nuts where I can.

For the washer on skid, I'm guessing that's what the extra washers that come in the nutsert complete kit are meant to be used for?

I cut the welds off the big skid plate where the small skid mounted to it (had to cut them off to remove). Going to replace with a nut and bolt for now since it's easy to get to. May have someone tac them in place if i can find a welder

It is NOT ok to drive without the skid‼You have an unsupported drivetrain‼ Only being held up by motor mounts. And they can brake. Never even leave your Jeep parked without a jack to support the transmission.

Reactions: Elyse8743
Right. I have an auto so both of these are being cleaned. It probably cannot be overstated about the trans needing the big skid as some random person would find this and be like they stated it was okay

15909405332173133905445646421010.jpg