Dan W/ 05 rubicon

DAN05RUBI

Supporting Member
Hello, thanks for having me, I just got this ‘05 Rubicon 2 weeks ago and loving it! I previously owned an XJ a while back and loved the ease of working on it and knew I would get a another Jeep eventually. I found this one for a decent price completely stock and said what the heck! It came with almost new BFG 265-70 R 16 tires So expect me to ask a lot of questions regarding a 2 inch lift of some kind. Thanks in advance for all your help!

1731C4CD-9E5A-46BC-9CDA-C0BA2FC989F9.jpeg

Awesome and rare color, congrats on the purchase!

Like you, I also came from an XJ once upon a time. That's one of the reasons I continue to stick with these older Jeeps. Not only because I love the looks, but as you said, they're so easy to work on in comparison to most of the other vehicle out there!

With those 265 tires, a 2" OME lift would look perfect.

Here's my TJ Rubicon with 265/75r16 tires with a 2.5" OME lift:

12115609_10206765052619150_729166828860237728_n.jpg

Reactions: Dawghouse
Hello, thanks for having me, I just got this ‘05 Rubicon 2 weeks ago and loving it! I previously owned an XJ a while back and loved the ease of working on it and knew I would get a another Jeep eventually. I found this one for a decent price completely stock and said what the heck! It came with almost new BFG 265-70 R 16 tires So expect me to ask a lot of questions regarding a 2 inch lift of some kind. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Man Emu springs and shocks and you're set. Or, ProComp springs & Rancho RS5000X shocks.

Awesome and rare color, congrats on the purchase!

Like you, I also came from an XJ once upon a time. That's one of the reasons I continue to stick with these older Jeeps. Not only because I love the looks, but as you said, they're so easy to work on in comparison to most of the other vehicle out there!

With those 265 tires, a 2" OME lift would look perfect.

Here's my TJ Rubicon with 265/75r16 tires with a 2.5" OME lift:

View attachment 43136
Thanks, I spent all day on your forum and realized most of y’all are very helpful and decided to join. I know it’s late but do you think that just springs and shocks would do the trick for me with no other alterations? Or get the whole kit?

Thanks, I spent all day on your forum and realized most of y’all are very helpful and decided to join. I know it’s late but do you think that just springs and shocks would do the trick for me with no other alterations? Or get the whole kit?
The OME kit I put on had the springs, shocks, and bump stop spacers. It also came with a rear track bar bracket, but I opted not to use it. Whether you do or not depends on whether the axle being somewhat more to one side (maybe 1/4-3/8" at most) really annoys you or not.

But to answer your question, yes, the springs and shocks would do the trick until you decide you want to do some serious off-road stuff, rocks and such. I ran 265/75-16 tires on my Rubicon for 6 months with a 1.75" budget boost (polyurethane spring spacers) and Rancho RS5000X shocks and no other modifications...stock suspension with the 265 tires:
img_0794-jpg.jpg

and with the BB:
img_0805-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Being that you have a Rubicon you should be fine at 2" of lift. Shocks, springs, bump stop extensions, is about all you need, usually, at 2".

The OME kit I put on had the springs, shocks, and bump stop spacers. It also came with a rear track bar bracket, but I opted not to use it. Whether you do or not depends on whether the axle being somewhat more to one side (maybe 1/4-3/8" at most) really annoys you or not.

But to answer your question, yes, the springs and shocks would do the trick until you decide you want to do some serious off-road stuff, rocks and such.

BTW, not a lot of rocks or hills in the Texas Coastal Bend. Call me vain but I just want it to look presentable. Know what I mean ?
Sure, plus if using the right stuff, it will ride great as well. The Rancho 5000X is a great riding shock for a touch over 200 for the set. Add some BDS or Pro Comp 2" coils and you'll have a nice riding rig.

Sure, plus if using the right stuff, it will ride great as well. The Rancho 5000X is a great riding shock for a touch over 200 for the set. Add some BDS or Pro Comp 2" coils and you'll have a nice riding rig.
Plus, if you do encounter a place to take it off road with some decent size hills or what not, you won't be destroying any fender flares by taking on the terrain.

You want the kit because it comes with the rear track bar relocation bracket (which you need), bump stops for the rear (which you also need), and a few other components such as the spring spacers which add that extra 1/2" of height.

So if it was me, I'd probably just get the kit!

Just throwing this out, I’m on 2 inch pucks I got for $116. On 32’s. Our Rubicon’s have wider flairs and and inch more bump stops. It’s always good to cycle your suspension to see if you have any rubbing
272783B7-04FB-4CB1-ABF5-148CD36AC824.jpeg

BD7E9498-EF3B-4419-9900-12B125D4D000.jpeg

But to answer your question, yes, the springs and shocks would do the trick until you decide you want to do some serious off-road stuff, rocks and such. I ran 265/75-16 tires on my Rubicon for 6 months with a 1.75" budget boost (polyurethane spring spacers) and Rancho RS5000X shocks and no other modifications...stock suspension with the 265 tires:
View attachment 43142

and with the BB:
View attachment 43141
Thanks for your help, you guys are great!

H & R springs Rancho5000X shocks and 1.75" spacer to level out the front, great riding on the road now, big improvement over stock. tires are 31 x 10.5...BTW cool color! Is that Electric Lime?

Hello cliffish, yes ELG. I put off test driving this one because of the color. After looking at several other TJ’s I finally drove this one and said wow! screw the color! Anyway, it’s grown on me now. Thanks Cliffish

Reactions: Chris
I personally think this is one of those colors that grows on you over time!

Hello cliffish, yes ELG. I put off test driving this one because of the color. After looking at several other TJ’s I finally drove this one and said wow! screw the color! Anyway, it’s grown on me now. Thanks Cliffish
That's the only color TJ my wife has ever commented on - she really likes it...