Dana 30 carrier bearings

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just picked up a bearing splitter for the carrier bearing removal. Do you usually use a press for re-installation or just drive the new ones on with hammer and old race or driver set? Do you heat the new bearing in hot oil for expansion?

You can rent bearing splitters, bearing race puller and installer from Oreilys or AutoZone for free. I don't believe its possible to hammer a bearing in unless you use a sludge hammer and that may damage the bearing. I used a 20% off coupon to get a 20 ton press from harbor freight made things really easy (they said the 12 ton can press the bearings in too but youll be super exhausted. when I regeared my tj, I pulled and reinstalled the bearings and bearing races 1000 times to get the correct distance and backlash. youll be very buff if you can complete the job with a hammer

what is it youre trying to do? if your just replacing the bearings, maybe you can get a local shop to press it in for like $10-20

Last edited:
I’ve hammered on hundreds of carrier and pinion bearings. For carrier bearings I usually use an axle socket that fits the inner race. I always place one layer of cardboard on the ground and place the carrier or pinion on that.

Thanks guys. I have a good assortment of drivers and will break out the hammer. Wish I had a press, but no place to set it up here. I had a seal go after only one year and my left wheel bearing started chattering on left turns. Figured I'd do the carrier bearings whilst I was at it. I installed the wheel bearings and seals a year ago, and did so properly to spec. No idea why they didn't last. Right side lasted, left went to hell. Maybe something I did, but I don't know what. The seal just failed, no dirt in there at all, tube clean as a whistle. The rig does get lifted and pressure washed after a day in the desert, but the WB is fairly protected, doubt it is that.