Dana 30 carrier stuck / seized

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
Well, my Dana 30 is not in the best shape. Driving down the freeway I heard a horrific bang. Pulled over and saw broke my passenger axle u-joint.

Got home pulled the shaft and saw it broke at the splines....

So, I pulled the driver's side out and what do you know, broke at the splines as well.

I've tried rotating the carrier, prying and no luck to get it to spin or come out.

When I put the Jeep in 4hi or 4lo the Jeep will not budge since it's binding up. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Also to add I just got this regeared a year ago and I'm not sure if this can even be fixed. I would like to atleast salvage the Aussie since I just picked up a free HPdana30.

IMG_20200320_160517.jpg

IMG_20200320_163136.jpg

Looks bad, I don't see getting the carrier out with both splined shaft ends where they are. They can't even be ramrodded through with rebar since the locker is there.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
Looks bad, I don't see getting the carrier out with both splined shaft ends where they are. They can't even be ramrodded through with rebar since the locker is there.
Yeah, i had the same feeling. I would like to attempt to save the locker and reuse. Might try to get my grinder on the bearings and get some wiggle room. It would be nice to reuse the carrier as well, but that doesn't look promising.

Attach the strongest magnet you can find to a broom handle. See if you can coax the ends of the shafts out.

I wouldn't count on the locker. Twisting both shafts off took a good amount of torque, which was all transferred by the locker. There is a high likelihood that the broken pieces are wedged into the locker splines.
Most likely.

It'd be interesting to see if @mrblaine has any ideas. Without some miracle suggestion my bet is the axle is toast enough to strip the good parts off and use a plasma cutter to split the case to at least be able to retrieve the locker.

Yeah, i had the same feeling. I would like to attempt to save the locker and reuse. Might try to get my grinder on the bearings and get some wiggle room. It would be nice to reuse the carrier as well, but that doesn't look promising.
I would try a large solid rod in the tube and a sledge and try to beat the broken piece in further to see if either side will clear the tube and let you tip the carrier out sideways. At this point, everything is trash and you will be lucky if you save anything. The good news is the locker is hardened and the shaft splines are not so you might save it with some work.

looks like some scarring on the ring teeth, if the pinions locked the RnP are shot yes?

spitballin here but could 1 remove the yoke and try to knock the pinion in some? if you could pull the outside pinion bearing would it allow enough room to for the inner bearing to come out of the cup and gain enough offset to disengage it from the ring gear?

spitballin here but could 1 remove the yoke and try to knock the pinion in some? if you could pull the outside pinion bearing would it allow enough room to for the inner bearing to come out of the cup and gain enough offset to disengage it from the ring gear?

Even IF you were able to do what you described; you still would need to be able to move one of the broken axle stubs to tip out the carrier as MRBLAINE posted. Highly doubtful.

Even IF you were able to do what you described; you still would need to be able to move one of the broken axle stubs to tip out the carrier as MRBLAINE posted. Highly doubtful.
i was thinking if it's all trash. if it could be freed enough for the carrier to be spun it can be scored and cracked. or if the pinion is locked that tight maybe relieving it would unlock the stubs. IDK again just spit ballin here.

i was thinking if it's all trash. if it could be freed enough for the carrier to be spun it can be scored and cracked. or if the pinion is locked that tight maybe relieving it would unlock the stubs. IDK again just spit ballin here.

Its worth a try, but I suspect there may be other damage found once the carrier is removed which will require replacing the entire differential.

looks like some scarring on the ring teeth, if the pinions locked the RnP are shot yes?

Consider the pinion is locked up hard enough in the bearings to break a u-joint and twist off two shafts at the splines. It may move with the yoke and yoke nut off but I doubt it. The gear folks that I've chatted with over the years have to torch out bearings to save a housing when it isn't nearly that stuck.