Dana 30 carrier stuck / seized

Its worth a try, but I suspect there may be other damage found once the carrier is removed.
it's been suggested it's already toast, and the only salvageable piece might be the hardened locker, so at this point the only thing you want to protect is it and the housing, you could cut the rest into tiny bits to free it a carrier is under 50$ on FB or CL. your already rebuilding this diff.
if i could turn it i'd score it and bust it and remove it in chunks trying to protect the housing and those bearing seats..

it's been suggested it's already toast, and the only salvageable piece might be the hardened locker, so at this point the only thing you want to protect is it and the housing, you could cut the rest into tiny bits to free it a carrier is under 50$ on FB or CL. your already rebuilding this diff.
if i could turn it i'd score it and bust it and remove it in chunks trying to protect the housing and those bearing seats..
I wouldn't spend 10 seconds trying to save a low pinion 30 housing with a High Pinion already procured.

Reactions: someguysjeep
crap i forgot he stated that ................hell that SOB would already be little pieces.

Wow, impressive. I am just following along at this point. Id say it is a safe bet to completely start over with a new housing and everything internally

Thanks for all the help and insight on this! Ill be hacking away at the LP30 to try to salvage the Aussie.

The HP30 will be getting new 5.13 from revolution gears, and a master install/overhaul kit with timken bearings. It will also be getting new ball joints, wheel bearings, UCA bushings, and some paint! If i have some scrap steel laying around i might see how a truss would look on it. Not sure if its required but a little extra support shouldn't hurt.

You could try inserting a piece of PVC pipe all the way into the axle tube, using a stick welder, weld a couple of welding rods together end to end then slide your now extra long welding rod through the PVC tube and weld it to the broken piece of axle shaft and pull the broken piece out. Repeat for other side.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
You could try inserting a piece of PVC pipe all the way into the axle tube, using a stick welder, weld a couple of welding rods together end to end then slide your now extra long welding rod through the PVC tube and weld it to the broken piece of axle shaft and pull the broken piece out. Repeat for other side.
never even thought of that!!

Well.... Last weekend i cut the housing in half to free the internals. The pinion bearing was seized, ring gear was cracked, carrier was cracked in multiple spots. I will have to get pictures of the carrier, and see if the Aussie is salvageable.

In the mean time I have gotten the HP30 stripped, small truss, and painted. Dropped it off for 5.13 gears and ARB to be installed! Hopefully it will be done and ready for pick-up this week.
IMG_20200414_192020.jpg
IMG_20200414_192051.jpg
IMG_20200414_192104.jpg
IMG_20200414_192138.jpg
IMG_20200416_121428.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70