Dana 30 HP & LP gear swap: stock or upgraded shafts?

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Can I swap everything- shaft, locker, and gears from an LP Dana 30 into a HP Dana 30?
Are the diff. covers a different bolt pattern?
How can I tell if my my axle shafts are stock or upgraded Chromoly?
Thanks

The gears are different. Everything else will swap.
Covers aren’t a different bolt pattern.
Post pics of shafts, and we can tell you if they are stock or aftermarket.

Reactions: wmblore
The gears are not transferable between LP and HP axles because they are cut differently but everything else is. Diff cover bolt patterns are the same. It's easy to tell most aftermarket rear shafts from OE factory shafts but I'm not thinking there's an easy way to tell the front shafts without experience with both shafts.

My front alloy chromoly shafts have no distinguishing marks. My RG&A front shafts however, have Foote stamped into the ear. I believe even the old superior shafts had "superior" stamped on the ear too

The gears are not transferable between LP and HP axles because they are cut differently but everything else is. Diff cover bolt patterns are the same. It's easy to tell most aftermarket rear shafts from OE factory shafts but I'm not thinking there's an easy way to tell the front shafts without experience with both shafts.
Would that effect the elocker also? The Dana 30 LP I bought supposedly had an elocker and 27 chromo shafts. A little late for me to verify but thought I would like to know. I can get an HP housing cheap so wanted to swap as much as I can.

The gears are different. Everything else will swap.
Covers aren’t a different bolt pattern.
Post pics of shafts, and we can tell you if they are stock or aftermarket.

C0C87862-9C31-4F8C-A50B-9C8E0778C0B5.jpeg

BA085580-0606-4BCF-8500-07F972A143E8.jpeg

F1BC198D-6F55-4097-9EBD-8FA5E4101594.jpeg

F85F08BE-D292-456E-AC63-8BB961D38DE7.jpeg

E713D03B-599C-4D16-9CA9-A610C4611220.jpeg

Gonna be hard to tell I am looking at doing the same swap to a high pinion only the gears need to be swapped everything else is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone knows of anyone with the high pinion in the Bay Area or Manteca area I am looking for a housing [emoji16] sorry to jack your thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk