Dana 30 HP pinion depth shim location?

ChrisTJ98

I picked up a dana 30 high pinion out a 1989 xj Limited and no it does not have the CAD system. Picture added so the topic doesn’t run off track. It’s stripped down ready for sandblast and painting.

The pinion depth shims are shim behind the inner bearing race along with a baffle. The pinion had an oil slinger on it behind the inner bearing.

My question is since I have a clamshell puller already I would like to be able to shim with the oil slinger behind the inner bearing. I would also take a measurement of the baffle and drive it and the new inner bearing race together. I shim the Dana 44 I built behind the inner bearing I don’t see why I can’t do it the same way?

Thanks
Chris

IMG_4434.jpeg

Last edited:
As Blackjack stated, but the baffle still has to go behind the race since it has the indentation. Usually what dictates placement is what shims come in your master install kit.

As Blackjack stated, but the baffle still has to go behind the race since it has the indentation. Usually what dictates placement is what shims come in your master install kit.

Yes I was impatient waiting on a response for why I messaged you yesterday haha. I will do it behind the inner bearing and baffle behind the race.

On a side note this forum is annoying using a iPhone and all these dam ads, y’all have a problem with using a phone on here?

Thanks

Yes I was impatient waiting on a response for why I messaged you yesterday haha. I will do it behind the inner bearing and baffle behind the race.

On a side note this forum is annoying using a iPhone and all these dam ads, y’all have a problem with using a phone on here?

Thanks

Become a supporting member and they go away. It is a cheap investment for the amount of knowledge you receive here.