Dana 30 shims slipped out of place

GMB233

Pulled my diff cover to change gear oil after a healthy mud weekend and found the shims were sticking out. How the hwll does that happen and what do I do now? Makes no notable noises or anything.
Any body have any insight?
Its a dana 30 high pinion with 456 gear and a zip locker with rcvs
Thanks

40676A2D-6C36-4E7E-BFF5-FA8E3B0D9B7B.jpeg

3809EB75-6609-4EC7-B06F-7330A406EF7B.jpeg

2E8DD6EA-3252-4C72-830E-95414001C936.jpeg

464CEA6E-5DF1-4F55-A012-0E6BB595066D.jpeg

2B5EF4B7-1EBD-491A-A709-6E8CC7D2D903.jpeg

I would talk to whom ever set up your locker. It either doesn’t have enough preload to hold them in place or they were never fully seated to begin with…

Pulled my diff cover to change gear oil after a healthy mud weekend and found the shims were sticking out. How the hwll does that happen and what do I do now? Makes no notable noises or anything.
Any body have any insight?
Its a dana 30 high pinion with 456 gear and a zip locker with rcvs
Thanks

View attachment 411324

View attachment 411325

View attachment 411326

View attachment 411327

View attachment 411328

I know you said its a high pinion, but on my LP Dana 30 the shim stack is under the bearing, not outside like on my Dana 35 for example. I’ve also heard some say it doesn’t matter. However, if the ID of the shim is too big, it could move around a bit (especially if there is not enough preload as suggested). It’s certainly easier outside as you don’t need set up bearings…

I know you said its a high pinion, but on my LP Dana 30 the shim stack is under the bearing, not outside like on my Dana 35 for example. I’ve also heard some say it doesn’t matter. However, if the ID of the shim is too big, it could move around a bit (especially if there is not enough preload as suggested). It’s certainly easier outside as you don’t need set up bearings…

That all changes when you add a locker.

Uh oh. Why is that? I have an e-locker in my Dana 30. What did I mess up?

I should clarify that it depends on what locker you are installing. But most master install kits provide shims that go outside the bearing. Did the e-locker instructions have you put them under?

Air lockers like ARB have a hole that the seal housing must cover. It requires shims outside the bearings.

Instructions?🤣

I just did it like the Truetrac that came out and used a second set of new carrier bearings to make set-ups. But the super 30 master install kit I got from West Coast Differential had larger ID shims that matched the ID of the super 30 carrier bearings that the e-locker uses (even in the 27 spline variety). I see what you are saying about the air locker though. I haven’t done one of those but now I recall reading about that detail in the past👍

Last edited:
Reactions: hosejockey61
Thanks for all the replies, its a Yukon Zip air locker and I do think they are supposed be on the outside.
Wonder if some hard core wheeling with a few hard hits could flex the little axle enough to allow them to slip?
Also wonder if i could just tap them back in place ???