Dana 30 vs Dana 44 Front Axles

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys! Just been researching a bit about axles, so I have a question about Dana 30 vs Dana 44.

Correct me if I am wrong:

1) Dana 30 is fine with 35" tires.
2) Dana 30 needs 27 spline chromoly axle shafts for 35" tires and a locker.
3) Dana 44 (stock 30 spline axle shafts) is fine with 35" tires and a locker.

So, is there any reason to prefer Dana 44 vs Dana 30 (possibly with chromoly shafts), except that Dana 44 is capable of deeper gears (5.38) than Dana 30, and bragging rights?

Is there any other advantages having a front Dana 44?

*Just for the sake of this thread forget any tires larger than 35"

Hey guys! Just been researching a bit about axles, so I have a question about Dana 30 vs Dana 44.

Correct me if I am wrong:

1) Dana 30 is fine with 35" tires.
2) Dana 30 needs 27 spline chromoly axle shafts for 35" tires and a locker.
3) Dana 44 (stock 30 spline axle shafts) is fine with 35" tires and a locker.

So, is there any reason to prefer Dana 44 vs Dana 30 (possibly with chromoly shafts), except that Dana 44 is capable of deeper gears (5.38) than Dana 30, and bragging rights?

Is there any other advantages having a front Dana 44?

*Just for the sake of this thread forget any tires larger than 35"
Pretty much agree except a Dana 44 is only kinda-sorta ok with stock shafts with 35" tires and a locker. This shows what happened to my OE factory Dana 44 shafts with 35's and a Detroit locker. Granted that didn't happen with gentle wheeling but it wasn't anything death defying either.

Dana 44 twisted splines.jpg

Where 35's are concerned on a front axle, a Dana 30 vs. a Dana 44 is not really a big deal, a Dana 30 holds up fine when with 35's and a locker with aftermarket 27 spline 4340 shafts. Either would need hardened axle shafts if there's a front locker with 35's and you're going to be doing tight turns under power.

Reactions: HornedToad and TJim
Pretty much agree except a Dana 44 is only kinda-sorta ok with stock shafts with 35" tires and a locker. This shows what happened to my OE factory Dana 44 shafts with 35's and a Detroit locker. Granted that didn't happen with gentle wheeling but it wasn't anything death defying either.

View attachment 251649

Where 35's are concerned on a front axle, a Dana 30 vs. a Dana 44 is not really a big deal, a Dana 30 holds up fine when with 35's and a locker with aftermarket 27 spline 4340 shafts. Either would need hardened axle shafts if there's a front locker with 35's and you're going to be doing tight turns under power.
So, as far as front axles are concerned:
  1. For 35" tires max size someone having a Dana 30 has no reason to upgrade to a Dana 44 (besides 5.38 gears).
  2. The only "Jeep" front axle replacement that would be worth it, is a free/very cheap HP Dana 30 (later XJs).
  3. Dana 44 over Dana 30 isn't stronger for 35" tires or lower, but has a bit less clearance as well (because of the bigger "pumpkin").
That makes me wonder, why did Jeep even install a front Dana 44 instead of Dana 30?

So, as far as front axles are concerned:
  1. For 35" tires max size someone having a Dana 30 has no reason to upgrade to a Dana 44 (besides 5.38 gears).
  2. The only "Jeep" front axle replacement that would be worth it, is a free/very cheap HP Dana 30 (later XJs).
  3. Dana 44 over Dana 30 isn't stronger for 35" tires or lower, but has a bit less clearance as well (because of the bigger "pumpkin").
I've installed several front Dana 44s. The only advantage I've seen is when you swap in a pair of Rubicon 44s you get selectable lockers easily. However, given the:
  • current cost of used 44s
  • scarcity of stock locker parts
  • shared "C" between the Dana 30 and 44, and
  • significantly heavier weight of the 44
I wouldn't bother installing a Dana 44 now.

I've also taken a long look at the HP Dana 30. Assuming I were building a new Dana 30 front, there are two reasons I'd install a HP30 :
  1. One can be obtained free or cheap (Cheap in my book means $100 or less)
  2. There was a clear need for increased ground clearance at the pinion
As an example, my current build involves specific goals I'm strictly adhering to, i.e. keeping weight down, maximizing ground clearance, and running a 31" tire. In this case, a HP would be justified, if #1 is true.
That makes me wonder, why did Jeep even install a front Dana 44 instead of Dana 30?

My belief here is this was a marketing and cost decision.

I've installed several front Dana 44s. The only advantage I've seen is when you swap in a pair of Rubicon 44s you get selectable lockers easily. However, given the:
  • current cost of used 44s
  • scarcity of stock locker parts
  • shared "C" between the Dana 30 and 44, and
  • significantly heavier weight of the 44
I wouldn't bother installing a Dana 44 now.

I've also taken a long look at the HP Dana 30. Assuming I were building a new Dana 30 front, there are two reasons I'd install a HP30 :
  1. One can be obtained free or cheap (Cheap in my book means $100 or less)
  2. There was a clear need for increased ground clearance at the pinion
As an example, my current build involves specific goals I'm strictly adhering to, i.e. keeping weight down, maximizing ground clearance, and running a 31" tire. In this case, a HP would be justified, if #1 is true.

My belief here is this was a marketing and cost decision.
Great answer thanks!

I am looking to upgrade my axles in the future so I will change both the axle shafts, R&P gears, and install a selectable locker at the same time, so that leaves me with an empty housing.

If I could find a HP Dana 30 in a very low price until then, I might consider swapping it since I will swap everything inside it.
*I have a HP Dana 30 right now, but it is a really old version of an early year XJ, with the axle disconnect.

On the contrary, is absurd how expensive a front Dana 44 is. Even a non rubicon one.
Someone asked me for about 1000 euros (close to 1200$) just for the housing of a front Dana 44.
I am in Greece though, I don't know which are the prices over there. This is absurd though.

I think it is mostly fault of the internet and people bragging about Dana 44.

Reactions: Irun
Great answer thanks!

I am looking to upgrade my axles in the future so I will change both the axle shafts, R&P gears, and install a selectable locker at the same time, so that leaves me with an empty housing.

If I could find a HP Dana 30 in a very low price until then, I might consider swapping it since I will swap everything inside it.
*I have a HP Dana 30 right now, but it is a really old version of an early year XJ, with the axle disconnect.

On the contrary, is absurd how expensive a front Dana 44 is. Even a non rubicon one.
Someone asked me for about 1000 euros (close to 1200$) just for the housing of a front Dana 44.
I am in Greece though, I don't know which are the prices over there. This is absurd though.

Front Dana 44s here in the US go for $1500+, if you can find one. At that cost it's not worth it!

Reactions: TJim
Great answer thanks!

Don’t let it get lost that the stock LP Dana 44 is definitely stronger than a stock LP Dana 30. The 44 has a larger ring gear, and a larger axle shaft. That is why they were an option from the factory, and included with the Rubi package. It’s not about internet bragging.

Whether the cost to go to a 44 is worth the additional strength, is certainly a valid question.

Now, put a 30 spline shaft in an HP 30, and you have an axle that is at least as strong, and likely stronger, than the stock 44. HP in the front is much stronger than LP.

Don’t let it get lost that the stock LP Dana 44 is definitely stronger than a stock LP Dana 30. The 44 has a larger ring gear, and a larger axle shaft. That is why they were an option from the factory, and included with the Rubi package. It’s not about internet bragging.

Whether the cost to go to a 44 is worth the additional strength, is certainly a valid question.
If I had personally ever seen a busted R&P in a Dana 30 while running 35's in 25 years of wheeling the Wrangler TJ I'd be quick to point to the benefits of running the larger R&P in a Dana 44. Since I have not, I don't think there's much benefit to the front Dana 44 other than its deeper available R&P ratios.

If I had personally ever seen a busted R&P in a Dana 30 while running 35's in 25 years of wheeling the Wrangler TJ I'd be quick to point to the benefits of running the larger R&P in a Dana 44. Since I have not, I don't think there's much benefit to the front Dana 44 other than its deeper available R&P ratios.
Fair point, Jerry. Sometimes a little less strength is strong enough.

Same here. Where I have seen issues has been with stock 30 axle shafts. There, I've seen numerous twisted splines and busted shafts. Most of those where due to the same thing, excessive wheel speed. That said, I know there have been broken Dana 30 R&Ps, but I haven't seen one.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Majority of the Dana 30 broken R&P comes from axle deflection(maybe not the best term to explain this) under not mild flex in off road situations. Also when 35” tires used the braking take a toll on the R&P, combined is catastrófic.

Do this happens on the Dana 44? Absolutely but bigger R&P forgives more too.

Great answer thanks!

Following the $1200 price tag...
I do order a TORQMaster locker and a set of G2 chromoly axle shaft for my Dana 30 LP, 3.73 R&P and 35” x 12.5 tires. No a single issue on 2.5 years. Every time i took the cover off and inspected all looks good. Im easy on the braking part but not easy on the off road side.
Net saving
$450
Lots of extra time for wheeling.

Reactions: Irun and TJim
Not all Dana 44's are created equally. There's a big difference between a stock TJ 44 and a Currie 44. I priced out building my 30 front and by the time I would have gotten it the way I wanted the Currie was only a bit more.

Not all Dana 44's are created equally. There's a big difference between a stock TJ 44 and a Currie 44. I priced out building my 30 front and by the time I would have gotten it the way I wanted the Currie was only a bit more.
Why though? How much did your build Dana 30 cost?

Why though? How much did your build Dana 30 cost?
I priced building a 2nd axle HP 30 from a XJ with tubes, gusset kit, ARB locker, gears, axle shafts, "C" gussets, and cover. With labor it was over $4k. Currie dropped my 44 at the door for $4700 complete ready to go in.

20210419_135056.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of a 5.38 Dana 30 pinion next to a 5.38 Dana 44 pinion?