Is it worth putting ARB air locker on Dana 35 and Dana 30?

JESTER801

I bought My 2000 TJ thinking it had Dana 44 in the rear, but found today it is the DANA 35. That is my fault, but got such a good deal on it. I am okay with how it shook out.

Now my question is it worth putting ARB air locker on Dana 35 and Dana 30?

That will not work without a lot of work to get its mounting brackets reworked to fit a TJ. Its model year is too new to bolt in directly. into a TJ.

BUT you can easily install a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear & Axle into your Dana 35 and it will be more than up to being locked with 35" tires. If you're interested, contact Ricky @Garza at www.4lowparts.com who is a long-term dealer for Revolution Gear.

A Super 35 kit includes your choice of several different lockers plus 1541H heat treated 30 spline axle shafts that are slightly stronger than the factory Dana 44 axle shafts are. It's seriously up to anything you can wheel with 35" tires.

Yes that would work, you'll just need an air compressor capable of providing it a reliable source of 5 psi air pressure.

BUT you can easily install a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear & Axle into your Dana 35 and it will be more than up to being locked with 35" tires. If you're interested, contact Ricky @Garza at www.4lowparts.com who is a long-term dealer for Revolution Gear.

A Super 35 kit includes your choice of several different lockers plus 1541H heat treated 30 spline axle shafts that are slightly stronger than the factory Dana 44 axle shafts are. It's seriously up to anything you can wheel with 35" tires.
I was just reading this explanation on another thread you had posted. Asked and answered.

Sorry about not doing a full search before I asked.

Does anything need to be done to lock the dana 30 in the front?

I was just reading this explanation on another thread you had posted. Asked and answered.

Upgraded shafts never hurt, but your 30 will hold up fine with a locker.

Just install a lunchbox locker like an Aussie or No-Slip from Powertrax into your front axle, they work well. But if you need to drive around in 4x4 on icy roads there in NJ, I'd go for a selectable locker up front. Automatic lockers don't do well on icy or snow-covered surfaces, they tend to slide more since they're basically always locked. Selectable lockers can be left unlocked for such conditions so they are a non-issue.

Reactions: D M
Upgraded shafts never hurt, but your 30 will hold up fine with a locker.
Up to a point. My Dana 30's passenger-side axle stub shaft broke under a difficult trail situation with 35" tires and a locker. Most trails it's ok but not in all situations. I replaced both axle shafts with 27 spline 4340 which worked well, I did that same trail again with the new shafts and it was great from then on.

DSCF0048withArrow.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and TWiG01
Just install a lunchbox locker like an Aussie or No-Slip from Powertrax into your front axle, they work well. But if you need to drive around in 4x4 on icy roads there in NJ, I'd go for a selectable locker up front. Automatic lockers don't do well on icy or snow-covered surfaces, they tend to slide more since they're basically always locked. Selectable lockers can be left unlocked for such conditions so they are a non-issue.
I am in Utah and yes snow and ice are huge here.

So I am consolidating information

Dana 35 needs super 35kit which includes everything and will give me an option to choose ARB air locker for rear.

Dana 30 can just have the ARB locker installed in, but optional I can upgrade the shafts

I am in Utah and yes snow and ice are huge here.

So I am consolidating information

Dana 35 needs super 35kit which includes everything and will give me an option to choose ARB air locker for rear.

Dana 30 can just have the ARB locker installed in, but optional I can upgrade the shafts
Oh heck yeah SLC has a LOT of snow lol. I went out to my car one morning and couldn't find it... all the cars on that street were buried under snow from the snow plow lol.

Yes you can install an ARB into your front axle, you can install stronger shafts when you can get around to it. Consider the Eaton E-Locker too, it's a selectable but is electrically actuated. Just a simple on-off switch which makes it less costly than the ARB which also requires a compressor, air valves, etc.

Reactions: Ephry73
Oh heck yeah SLC has a LOT of snow lol. I went out to my car one morning and couldn't find it... all the cars on that street were buried under snow from the snow plow lol.

Yes you can install an ARB into your front axle, you can install stronger shafts when you can get around to it. Consider the Eaton E-Locker too, it's a selectable but is electrically actuated. Just a simple on-off switch which makes it less costly than the ARB which also requires a compressor, air valves, etc.
My thought process with the ARB is that I have onboard Air for the lockers and to also air up the tires.

Reactions: L J and Plumber1
My thought process with the ARB is that I have onboard Air for the lockers and to also air up the tires.
Only if you buy a big ARB compressor which is expensive. The standard ARB air compressor puts out just a tiny amount of air, suitable only for locking the locker, but not even close to being large enough to consider using it to air tires up with.

Only if you buy a big ARB compressor which is expensive. The standard ARB air compressor puts out just a tiny amount of air, suitable only for locking the locker, but not even close to being large enough to consider using it to air tires up with.
$575 for the twin ARB compressor that does both? Seems to me like a great option for being able to do it all. no?

The compact one alone is $220

$575 for the twin ARB compressor that does both? Seems to me like a great option for being able to do it all. no?

The compact one alone is $220
$575 is way more than I'd pay for any compressor even if it could do both jobs. The E-Locker doesn't need any compressor and you can buy a substantial high CFM compressor for way less $$$ and not be placing all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. I even made my CO2 tank OBA system for $180-190 and it puts out as much air volume as the biggest compressors used on Jeeps do.

$575 is way more than I'd pay for any compressor even if it could do both jobs. The E-Locker doesn't need any compressor and you can buy a substantial high CFM compressor for way less $$$ and not be placing all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. I even made my CO2 tank OBA system for $180-190 and it puts out as much air volume as the biggest compressors used on Jeeps do.
do you have a recommendation on a more cost effective solution? Also do you have a co2 tank brand and setup recommendation?

Co2 set up you can make your own.

That said most little compressors will inflate the tires but time is the thing. Some can take 5 mins to get one 35" tire from 12 to 24

What size tires do you plan to run?
Jeep has 35" ko2 on it. So that is why I was thinking to save my time onboard air with bigger compressor was the route to go

Jester...I might be mistaken, but the link you shared above for the Dana44 was out of a 2016? I don't believe that would fit under a TJ...without modification.
correct,

My shop looked at it and said it wont bolt on.. Shame because that was a decent price for a dana 44 with e locker in it.