Dana 35 Axle Shaft Upgrades: 4340 vs 1541H axle shafts (and why 4340 is not a good choice)

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
With recent conversations about this, I decided it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to this, so that TJ owners who are looking to potentially upgrade their Dana 35 axle shafts can make an informed decision based off good, solid information. The following is a quote from @mrblaine in another thread regarding upgrading the Dana 35 axle shafts.

There's a whole bunch of confusion and one side of the equation going on so far. First, let's get apples to apples in perspective. 1541H is a case hardening alloy. 4340 is a through hardening alloy. They are not readily interchangeable due to the 35 axle having a bearing journal that the bearing rides on directly without adding a hardened race. For that application, the superior axle material is 1541H because it is plenty strong and because it is case hardening, you can bring the surface hardness up high enough to withstand bearing rollers riding on it. "IF" you try to bring 4340 up to the same hardness, it will be brittle because there is no ductility left at those levels of hardness. The 1541H will have a very high surface hardness with a softer core for a good level of ductility.

This is typical of what 4340 does when you try to use it for a bearing shaft and don't nail the heat treat.

23234-jpg-jpg.jpg

The very same thing that makes 4340 difficult to use for bearing shafts is what makes it a great material for non bearing shafts like the Dana 44 with Set 10 bearings. Since the hardness for a bearing journal isn't an issue, the heat treat can be brought up high enough that there is a lot of ductility left and a fairly high level of hardness throughout without it being brittle.

1541H Dana 35 shafts don't scare me, 4340 Dana 35 shafts scare me a lot.

I once had to replace my passenger-side rear axle-shaft on a Dana 35 and this post has me wondering what I was given for a replacement? This was around 8000 miles back and at that time I was not aware of this issue with Dana 35's and axle-shaft hardness. Being how a Dana 35 axle shaft bearings/journals are designed why would they offer a 4340 axle shaft for a Dana 35?

Reactions: ICDGary
I once had to replace my passenger-side rear axle-shaft on a Dana 35 and this post has me wondering what I was given for a replacement? This was around 8000 miles back and at that time I was not aware of this issue with Dana 35's and axle-shaft hardness. Being how a Dana 35 axle shaft bearings/journals are designed why would they offer a 4340 axle shaft for a Dana 35?
Because 4340. Buzz word marketing that leads to buzz word products. They understand that Jeepers recognize 4340 as a good material for axle shafts so it sells.

Reactions: ICDGary and 01CuHed
Mr. Blaine do you think there is a possibility that I could have been given a 4340 axle shaft for a direct replacement for stock Dana 35? Like I stated earlier this was done around 8000 miles back and I've never had any reason to suspect anything is wrong back there? If I were to pop the cover off that Dana 35 and check condition of gear oil would that be enough to determine if my axle shaft is being chewed away or not?

Mr. Blaine do you think there is a possibility that I could have been given a 4340 axle shaft for a direct replacement for stock Dana 35? Like I stated earlier this was done around 8000 miles back and I've never had any reason to suspect anything is wrong back there? If I were to pop the cover off that Dana 35 and check condition of gear oil would that be enough to determine if my axle shaft is being chewed away or not?
You'll know there is an issue when it starts leaking fluid out the end of the axle. The bearing can't wear that deep into the shaft surface without taking out the seal. No, you can't see the seal and bearing area from inside the diff.

Stop worrying and just go have fun.

Reactions: ICDGary and 01CuHed
Two years ago I had to get replacement Dana 35 shafts and a set of Alloy USA 4340 shafts were all that I could get in the time I had. In they went. They seemed fine until last weekend when the driver's side shaft sheared off inside my Truetrac. The splines that were outside of the Truetrac twisted and the portion inside the Truetrac broke clean off the shaft. I had a spare and the trail repair went smoothly. I just wonder if my passenger side is also twisted and waiting to break next!

Replacing the rear-end has been on my list for a long time. It's the $3-4 thousand cost that is delaying me. I'm only on 33's with a limited slip so I thought I could last a while. I'd hate to put another set of new shafts (1541 this time) into this rear-end, but all of the trails have just opened and I don't want to miss the entire season.

As for the 4340 shafts wearing down....the portion that sits on the axle seal is well polished, but no grooves yet. If you can avoid the 4340 shafts in the dirty 35, do it. You are better off with stock.

Fun times......