Dana 35 carrier install question

Niko

Hi guys so I blew a bearing out on my Dana 35. But when I blew it out it messed up my differential carrier as well. So I bought a new carrier and barring etc. when I was putting it back in for some reason the driver side barrier doesn’t go all the way in. With the shims in it. Besides that when the you bolt it on so the carrier doesn’t move/stays in place doesn’t screw in all the way. Here’s a picture
211D9E69-EB81-4247-B577-58FEC3485340.jpeg
now I tried this with the carrier not in the housing and it still doesn’t go in all the way. I switched the driver side one to the right side I put them upside down etc. and no dice please help thanks :)

00741417-193B-497B-8805-447E03AFDC9E.jpeg

nooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't flop those bearing retainers around.
those should have been marked b4 they were touched so they could be put pack exactly as they were. those are cut from that case and need to stay where they were in the orientation they were when you pulled them.

if you know how they were put them back that way. if your not sure, then your gonna have to figure it out.
the carrier should be tight enough you'd have to bump it a few times with a rubber mallet to seat it. same for the retainers they don't just slop over. they need a bump to seat over the bearing. and you draw both sides down equally until snug.

VERY IMPORTANT: Since you changed the carrier and bearings, you'll have to setup the gears to the correct backlash, preload and pattern using shims. If not, you'll wipe them out in few hundred miles.

nooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't flop those bearing retainers around.
those should have been marked b4 they were touched so they could be put pack exactly as they were. those are cut from that case and need to stay where they were in the orientation they were when you pulled them.

if you know how they were put them back that way. if your not sure, then your gonna have to figure it out.
the carrier should be tight enough you'd have to bump it a few times with a rubber mallet to seat it. same for the retainers they don't just slop over. they need a bump to seat over the bearing. and you draw both sides down equally until snug.
Yeah I had them marked but the driver side wouldn’t go in all the way. I know which is which but I was just testing it out. I’ll put them back the original way and try again

There are 2 different sizes of carriers as well. Make sure you have the correct one for your gears.

Best will be to check the PN that you have and make sure it can accommodate your gear ratio. One is for 3.55 or higher and the other is for less than 3.55.