Dana 35 no locker

TGringleJeep

I know the topic of whether to upgrade the Dana 35 or replace it has been beaten to death. I apologize if there is a thread I have missed prior to this post. I have owned my 2005 4.0 tj for over 10 years. It is 3.5in lifted rolling on 33s 3.07 ratio 6 speed manual. I do not plan on installing a locker as I only do light wheeling through mostly mud or sometimes snow. My question; If I were to upgrade my axle shafts retaining the 27 spline set up would that be sufficient for light wheeling? The jeep has been lifted for the prior 5 years and I have decided it’s not worth the money to me to upgrade to Dana 44. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

OP
TGringleJeep

TGringleJeep

I would only run a locker in a Dana 35 after installing a Super 35 kit that includes 30 spline 1541H axle shafts. Revolution Gear & Axle makes a good Super 35 kit.
Sorry I’m new here. I should have been more clear that I do not intend to install a locker. I’m wondering if a stock Dana 35 with upgraded 27 spline shafts is sufficient for light wheeling with 33s. Also, Jerry thank you for all you have contributed to the jeep community. I have been reading your posts as a non member for a while now.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford

TJ Guru Moderator
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Sorry I’m new here. I should have been more clear that I do not intend to install a locker. I’m wondering if a stock Dana 35 with upgraded 27 spline shafts is sufficient for light wheeling with 33s.
Whoops sorry, I thought you were perhaps getting interested in a locker. Without a locker a stock Dana 35 is usually up to wheeling with 33's without a problem. I wouldn't expect stock Dana 35 shafts to break with 33's unless the driver was a complete idiot and was hammering his Jeep through the trail.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
OP
TGringleJeep

TGringleJeep

Whoops sorry, I thought you were perhaps getting interested in a locker. Without a locker a stock Dana 35 is usually up to wheeling with 33's without a problem. I wouldn't expect stock Dana 35 shafts to break with 33's unless the driver was a complete idiot and was hammering his Jeep through the trail.
Thank you very much! I’m not doing any hammering through the trails or rock climbing. I’m a slow and steady type of driver off road. I just don’t want to get stuck on the trail with a broken axle. I’ll keep the stock set up.

TheBoogieman

Disturbed Jeepaholic
Supporting Member
It's always a possibility (breaking something). My friend had a Dana 35 and 35" tires for many years and didn't break it. I did it myself for a few years. I always let off the skinny pedal when the rear end started hopping. It was ALWAYS in the back of my mind though. :(

CharlesHS

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
As others have posted; LOCKERS and the Dana 35 do not mix well.
IF you upgrade your gearing; since you live in the Seattle area.... consider installing a Detroit TruTrac gear drive Limited Slip traction device.
The TT has good road manners while performing well in snow and dirt.