Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front: Where should I go from here?

RiJeeper

I have a 2000 Jeep tj 4.0 5speed nv3550 transmission, stock axles, stock gears with a 2.5inch lift on 35s, I’m looking to step it up, wear should I go from here I want to keep the 35s, upgrade my rear axle first, do 3.5inch coil springs with adjustable control arms all around + shocks and trace bars, what is the best/cheapest front axle swap for my Jeep? and will I need a slip yoke eliminator for a 3.5inch lift

You don't need a front axle swap for your Jeep. With some alloy axle shafts and a locker, your Dana 30 is more than up to the task of running 35s.

As for the Dana 35, if you put a Super 35 kit in it, it will easily handle your 35s as well (see this thread here: Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?).

You will need a SYE for a 3.5 inch lift, yes.

The ideal amount of lift for 35s however is 5". This is typically achieved via a 4" suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift.

Anything less than that on 35s and you're going to be limiting yourself (unless you have highline fenders... not just tube fenders)

Last edited:
Reactions: RiJeeper
You don't need a front axle swap for your Jeep. With some alloy axle shafts and a locker, your Dana 30 is more than up to the task of running 35s.

As for the Dana 35, if you put a Super 35 kit in it, it will easily handle your 35s as well (see this thread here: Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?).

You will need a SYE for a 3.5 inch lift, yes.

The ideal amount of lift for 35s however is 5". This is typically achieved via a 4" suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift.

Anything less than that on 35s and you're going to be limiting yourself (unless you have highline fenders... not just tube fenders)
Ok thank you for the help

Reactions: Chris
I have a 2000 Jeep tj 4.0 5speed nv3550 transmission, stock axles, stock gears with a 2.5inch lift on 35s, I’m looking to step it up, wear should I go from here I want to keep the 35s, upgrade my rear axle first, do 3.5inch coil springs with adjustable control arms all around + shocks and trace bars, what is the best/cheapest front axle swap for my Jeep? and will I need a slip yoke eliminator for a 3.5inch lift

How do plan to use your Jeep?

Are you convinced to stay with the 35" tires?

Question.....I will be doing the Super 35 and beefing up the front 30 on my Jeep as well. Someone already put in 4.56 gears front and rear. When I get the parts to have this done and get lockers am I going to have to replace those 4.56 gears with other ones? Or can I use what's in there and add the lockers to it as well as the axles and shafts? Sorry, new to gearing. Thanks!
If you can afford to regear too, I'd regear both axles to 4.88 or even 5.13 for your 35" tires when you install the Super 35 kit. My experience is that 4.56 is not quite enough gear for 35" tires, though 4.56 is perfect for 33" tires. With 4.56 and 35's you have to downshift a lot more than is usual, for even very minor grades. 4.88 gives the slightly higher rpms needed by 35's so the engine is happier. Not to mention you''d likely even get a little better mpg with the 4.88 or 5.13 gearing since the engine would be operating at a more efficient rpm.

Yes a SYE and CV driveshaft should be a part of the lift upgrade, and you might consider just going to a 4" suspension lift for those 35's. Once you get close to 4" or over, it's strongly recommended though I consider it a requirement. Not to mention that for 35's 5" of clearance is recommended for offroading... you can pick up that extra 1" with a 1" or 1.25" body lift.

It's worth mentioning that 37s would indeed require some wider and stronger axles (one-tons), and it should also be worth mentioning that 37s don't have any place on a TJ unless you stretch the wheelbase.

How do plan to use your Jeep?

Are you convinced to stay with the 35" tires?
Right now I daily drive it but I plan on making it into like 75% off-road 25% inroad, I don’t plan on wheeling extremely hard but I do want to off-road it on moderate trails, and I do plan to stick with 35s