Dana 44 oil slinger help

Jackjack97

TJ Enthusiast
This is for those of you who have done gears on a Dana 44. I bought a master over haul kit for my Dana 44 and it came with these oil slingers.

E86D8E01-2F59-453C-A962-EF83CE77475D.jpeg

i know for a fact that the small black oil slinger came offfrom in between the pinion seal and yoke side pinion bearing. I don’t remember taking off the other two and they are not in the pictures that I took. I am wondering if I use the other two that I am holding and if so where do they go? It seems like the big one goes onlike this but it was not there when took the axle apart.

2A755FB2-817C-4030-B5D9-D500A15ED399.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The big one goes behind the pinion head, the one with the pressed center is a baffle and goes behind the inner race with the pressed side away from the race. The last one like you said goes between the outer pinion bearing and yoke.

Here's a link to a video I just made last week and posted to the how to section.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-re-gear-your-tj-axles.40827/

Reactions: hosejockey61
Thank you fantastic job on the video

The big one goes behind the pinion head, the one with the pressed center is a baffle and goes behind the inner race with the pressed side away from the race. The last one like you said goes between the outer pinion bearing and yoke.

Here's a link to a video I just made last week and posted to the how to section.

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-re-gear-your-tj-axles.40827/[/URL]

I was told shims go behind the inner does that pressed baffle go behind that race with a stack of shims? I'm currently rebuilding my Dana 44 out of a 81-85 wagoneer and there was no shims or oil baffle behind the inner race thanks

I was told shims go behind the inner does that pressed baffle go behind that race with a stack of shims? I'm currently rebuilding my Dana 44 out of a 81-85 wagoneer and there was no shims or oil baffle behind the inner race thanks

If you're going to use the baffle, then yes, it goes in first with the indention pointing to the tail and then the other shims on top of it. It counts toward your overall shim stack thickness.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me find these three oil slingers everywhere ive looked they are on backorders or out of stock. the kit i have ordered did not come with them. i know this sounds simple but i seriously need help.

Can anyone help me find these three oil slingers everywhere ive looked they are on backorders or out of stock. the kit i have ordered did not come with them. i know this sounds simple but i seriously need help.

One is a baffle (the one with the raised section), one is a thrust washer (the black one), and one is a slinger/shim.

The slinger/shim is replaced by the shims in your kit that go behind the inner race. The baffle is sometimes included and sometimes not. If it's not there and I don't have an extra on hand then I don't worry about it. The thrust washer goes between the tail bearing and the yoke. I have some of those for sure and I think I might have a baffle or 6.

Is this your daily driver? Have you set up gears before? We know you seriously need help, but help us help you. Give us info.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear