Dana 44 Project Advice

Fonz54

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi,
Recently picked up a Dana 44 (3.73 w LS) from a 98 TJ for $400 off of CL. I have been disassembling it to get it ready for sand blasting. My plan is to refresh it re-gear it along with my Dana 30 in the front and install it in my 2004 TJ X. I came up with the following list for the refresh. My question is am I over rotating on this by adding all new components? Without labor and upgrading the Dana 30 (new gears and E-locker) I am looking at around $3,500.00. And that does not include new axles which I will probably do. What do you think should I take a different route? I was originally thinking about just cleaning up the Dana 44 installing it with the 3.73 and getting the front re-geared to 3.73 and just wait until another day to do all of the other upgrades. But it turns out one of the spider gears in the 44 is torn up and that is how I came to plan B.
Plan C would be clean up the Dana 44 and sell it and then do a Super 35 and a Super 30 on my existing diffs.
Fonz
Rear Track Bar
Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Rear Sway Bar Links
Brake kit
Rear Axle Bearing & Seal
Pinion Seal
Diff Cover Gasket
Axle shaft retainer
Outer Axle Shaft Support
Control Arms
Control Arms
Control Arms
Emergency Brake Cable
Emergency Brake Cable

I wouldn't do a super 35. A swap is preferable always, imo.
What do you think about the list of items I put together? I could go ahead and use some the things from the Dana 35, control arms and such but I figure all of those parts are 16 years old and might as well replace them as part of the swap.

The super35 is a strong axle. You're looking at roughly 1200 IIRC to convert your Dana 35 to an s35. I wouldnt hesitate to run an s35 if I was looking to upgrade the real axle.

OP--what is your intended tire size and lift? If keeping them small, then brakes should be no more than $200, OE axle shafts can be reused, a master install kit and gears should be $300(ish), control arms $25/piece. Your $3500 seems awfully steep.

I priced out the parts in the list in my original post and they came to $831. The Dana 44 had leaky seals and the E-brake cables are just covered with gear lube. I tried cleaning them with Brake cleaner and car cleaner but they are still gunked up. That is why they are on the list. Then I figured the hardware for the re-gear and lockers and that came to $2686. Like I said I may be over rotating on this.

Dana 30 Eaton E-Locker $ 933.20
Dana 30Eaton E-Locker
Bearings and Shims
$ 56.00
Dana 44Eaton E-Locker $ 1,021.00
Dana 44Bearings $ 48.00
Dana 30Yukon R&P 4.10 Kit $ 327.16
Dana 44Yukon R&P 4.10 Kit $ 301.22
Sub Total $ 2,686.58
Dana 44 Refresh $ 831.23
Grand Total $ 3,517.81

Regarding size and lift - currently running 31" x 10.5" tires with a 1.25 BL and one inch MML. I will need new tires soon and was considering going to 32" x 11.5" tires. I do not plan on doing any suspension lift. Mild off-road trails no rock crawling.

keep the 44. Whats the rush in rebuilding it? If you re build it over a few months, it wont hurt the wallet so much.

You failed to mention what you will be doing with the Dana 35 that currently sits in it. If you do sell it, that should be calculated in your Dana 44 swap price; taking some of the place of some expenses.

Reactions: Fonz54
True i
keep the 44. Whats the rush in rebuilding it? If you re build it over a few months, it wont hurt the wallet so much.

You failed to mention what you will be doing with the Dana 35 that currently sits in it. If you do sell it, that should be calculated in your Dana 44 swap price; taking some of the place of some expenses.
True did not consider selling the Dana 35. Certainly will add a little upside.

If you're running 31's, I wouldn't worry about new axle shafts, unless they're damaged. Also, for what you say your wheeling is, an LSD in the rear with a Detroit up front would be more than acceptable. No need for selectable lockers. Or, just do a selectable locker in the front.

Saves quite a bit of money that way.

Reactions: Cornbread
Exactly what @Mike_H said above; choose to only lock one axle. For the type of wheeling you're saying you do, it's more than enough. If you choose to add another locker later, that's always an option. And I agree with doing the front. A LSD in the rear makes a pretty decent improvement over an open diff and couple that with a selectable front and you're way more prepared than you may ever need to be.

If you're running 31's, I wouldn't worry about new axle shafts, unless they're damaged. Also, for what you say your wheeling is, an LSD in the rear with a Detroit up front would be more than acceptable. No need for selectable lockers. Or, just do a selectable locker in the front.

Saves quite a bit of money that way.
Thanks Mike seriously considering True-
Exactly what @Mike_H said above; choose to only lock one axle. For the type of wheeling you're saying you do, it's more than enough. If you choose to add another locker later, that's always an option. And I agree with doing the front. A LSD in the rear makes a pretty decent improvement over an open diff and couple that with a selectable front and you're way more prepared than you may ever need to be.
Thanks I really appreciate all of the input from everyone.

I do not plan on doing any suspension lift. Mild off-road trails no rock crawling.
I'd just do a super35 on the rear with a selectable locker and sell the Dana 44. Running smaller tires you have no need for anything more. If you leave the front open you don't need to change the shafts or worry about the front at all which saves allot of time and money. With a real rear locker you'll have no trouble on the trails and no bad manners on the road. The Dana 44 will cost you clearance, money and really do nothing for you.

Reactions: B252
I'd just do a super35 on the rear with a selectable locker and sell the Dana 44. Running smaller tires you have no need for anything more. If you leave the front open you don't need to change the shafts or worry about the front at all which saves allot of time and money. With a real rear locker you'll have no trouble on the trails and no bad manners on the road. The Dana 44 will cost you clearance, money and really do nothing for you.
A Dana 44 would provide peace of mind out on the trail. Its usually cheaper to buy a used TJ/LJ Dana 44 than it is to go the Super 35 route. And like most folks claim, the S35 has shafts that are close to the same strength as a stock 44.

The 44 is more supported. I would much rather get “more for my money,” here.

Reactions: Rick Flair
A Dana 44 would provide peace of mind out on the trail. Its usually cheaper to buy a used TJ/LJ Dana 44 than it is to go the Super 35 route. And like most folks claim, the S35 has shafts that are close to the same strength as a stock 44.

The 44 is more supported. I would much rather get “more for my money,” here.
Yeah agree.I already have the Dana 44. Just in the process of stripping it down. Then I am going to get it sand blasted and then start the rebuild process. I have been ordering new parts, a few per week. Just small stuff. Now I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the big ticket items.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-eaton-e-locker-Dana 35-30spl/

Install and done but if you want to go the other way that's fine. I don't know about piece of mind, people run 35 inch tires on the super 35 and do rock crawl. I try to look at the total cost and what your Jeep looks like when you hit the trail. You aren't getting more in the Dana 44, it isn't meaningfully stronger. It's just heavier and has worse ground clearance. In every sense it will be worse on the trail running 32" tires.

Sorry I did not read your reply before my last post here. Can you explain what you mean about the Dana 44 costing clearance?

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-eaton-e-locker-Dana 35-30spl/

Install and done but if you want to go the other way that's fine. I don't know about piece of mind, people run 35 inch tires on the super 35 and do rock crawl. I try to look at the total cost and what your Jeep looks like when you hit the trail. You aren't getting more in the Dana 44, it isn't meaningfully stronger. It's just heavier and has worse ground clearance. In every sense it will be worse on the trail running 32" tires.
Not true. Its stronger, it’s a better setup. Jerry opted for a 44 over a super35. It makes more sense to run a stronger axle for the same amount or less money.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not read your reply before my last post here. Can you explain what you mean about the Dana 44 costing clearance?
It hangs lower in the center by about 1" over the Dana 35. For example going from 31" tires and putting on the Dana 44 and 32" tires you will likely have less clearance under the rear axle in the center. If you have the axle just measure the height from the tubes down to the bottom of the diff and compare it to your Dana 35. It's not a big deal but with smaller tires it makes a difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the direction you were going. I'm just saying what I might do and why.