Dana 44 Rear Axle Seal Kit

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
My passenger side rear axle seal is leaking, so I'm going to have it replaced sometime soon. Is there a preferred preferred kit? I've found Crown and Yukon so far.

By the way, you will need a new rear SET10 bearing and bearing retainer to install the new seal. They need to be removed to install the seal and removing them destroys them.

Here's a very good writeup for how to do it... http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/Dana 44/Dana 44-1.htm

Reactions: Chris
By the way, you will need a new rear SET10 bearing and bearing retainer to install the new seal. They need to be removed to install the seal and removing them destroys them.

Yep, I've already been through that page. That's why I asked about a kit. The Yukon and Crown kits contain everything together.

I am always wearing of Yukon (just based off stuff I've heard) and Crown (though my Crown OPDA never had any issues).

But hey, they may be just fine in all honesty. At least it's not Synergy.

Where my axles are concerned, I'd rather buy the two recommended superb quality components separately than go for the convenience of a mediocre quality kit containing them both.

All you need is either of the two seals recommended above and a Timken SET10 bearing which includes the bearing retainer. Amazon has the bearing and no doubt it has one of or both seals too.

Last edited:
Follow up to this. The diff oil that leaked from the axle is on the shoe. I know this means that I need to replace the shoe. However, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace both the passenger and the driver side rather than just the passenger?

Follow up to this. The diff oil that leaked from the axle is on the shoe. I know this means that I need to replace the shoe. However, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace both the passenger and the driver side rather than just the passenger?
You're sure it's not brake fluid? Gear lube doesn't usually make it onto the brake shoes.

The inside of the wheel and the entire drum is covered in oil. It's certainly possible that I have both an axle seal and a cylinder leak, but their appears to be no loss in brake fluid. l'll pull the drum again this week and check though.