Dana 44: What is this thing?

Zach97wrangler

I need help and I'm knew to the forum. I've had a dana 35 in my jeep since I got it 12 years ago when I was 15. I'm fiscally in the ball Park for a Dana 44! Woot! A guy is selling one about an hour away that he says came from a 99 wrangler. But it has a rubber plug and this weird thing that looks like it bolts onto the top of the housing. What is it?! Btw, he wants $325. It also has a limited slip in it. 132,000 miles owner doesn't know if there has been previous work done to it. He's just parting out.

Resized_20191129_154513.jpg

You know what... I just realized he said 99 jeep and I assumed(and he never specified) it was out of a wrangler. Grrrreeeat. Can I still use it without much work?

Screenshot_20191201-134506.jpg

Definetly not a TJ axle, the thing on top appears to be a wishbone track locator, it serves the same purpose as a track bar, keeping the axle centered under the car.
He just responded that it is out of a grand Cherokee. And it has the same perches as a wrangler.

Some questions.

What's wrong with the 35?
What size tires do you have or want to end up with?
The second question leads to:
Is 3:73 really what you should end up with or even have today?
It actually is doing fine. My 35 and 30 have relatively new gears. They are open. They were regeared to 3.73 by a 4x4 guru out here who recommended at the time(though I didn't listen because I didn't know anything and didn't have the money or time back then) that I should get a dana 44 if I want a strong axle that won't break when I go to 35s some day. Right now I'm on 33s and was at the time of the regear. He was the one that suggested 3.73. Looking back I wish I would've left the axels alone until I could afford the dana 44. I want to go wheeling more now that my son is getting older and not have to worry as much about breaking something. That is why the pursuance of the 44.

I'm not too sure about the 4x4 guru being the right guy to get information from.

I imagine you started out with 3.07 but the 3.73 he sold you is still a pretty high ratio for running 33s let alone 35s.

The Dana 44 may start out somewhat stronger but the Super 35 will catch up, if not pass it, in a heartbeat. I have a 44 in my Rubicon but if I was ever going for a lift and bigger tires I'd be wishing I had a 35 to make the upgrades to.

Check out this thread, especially post #3 by Jerry Bransford, the TJ Guru Help me understand the Super 35 kit

I'm not too sure about the 4x4 guru being the right guy to get information from.

I imagine you started out with 3.07 but the 3.73 he sold you is still a pretty high ratio for running 33s let alone 35s.

The Dana 44 may start out somewhat stronger but the Super 35 will catch up, if not pass it, in a heartbeat. I have a 44 in my Rubicon but if I was ever going for a lift and bigger tires I'd be wishing I had a 35 to make the upgrades to.

Check out this thread, especially post #3 by Jerry Bransford, the TJ Guru Help me understand the Super 35 kit

Somehow the enthusiasm to explain that the 35 is not the death knell to good times on the trail that folks make it out to be has horribly confused you. The Super 35 is a product that when done correctly may relieve the sometimes impossible burden of finding a suitable rear axle. At no point in time will anyone trade a stock Dana 44 for a Dana 35 with a proper Super kit installed, even Jerry.