Dang Rust

TJ_Man99

Ok, so ive been racking my brain for the last couple of weeks on how to fix this hole. Its in the driver side front fender. I am planning on either a repaint or getting it wrapped in the future, so i really need to get this fixed. Any ideas from the brilliant minds on this forum?
Jeep fender flair.jpg
Jeep fender flair2.jpg
Jeep fender flair3.jpg

I am pretty sure you can give to metalshaping/welder shop their students can patch it and then put melted lead on that welding stitches.

I've thought about that. I just wasn't sure how easy it is to find one.
X2 on just getting new/pre-owned ones. I was in the same boat earlier this year and was previously “repairing” my old ones every year after winter. I bought some used non-rusty ones of facebook and have no regrets. I suggest looking around your local area and seeing if anyone is parting out or installing tube fenders on a Stone White TJ You may get lucky

Definitely replace it with a new reproduction fender. I had rust like that on my passenger side, and I decided to replace it. I also took off my driver side fender at the same time to clean it up, undercoat it and paint it as well. By the time I spent a bunch of time prepping the driver side I wished I would have replaced it too even though it was not rusted through. I would have spent a lot less time on it. Spending time fixing that rust is not worth it at all when the fenders are cheap and very easy to replace.

New to you fender. Used or the like...You'll never get the rust to go away permanently. Once it starts .... it's chasing thine tail.

Sadly.

M&M in Stafford which shouldn't be that far from your area has a real nice Khaki fender LH side (driver)

Go to your nearest body repair supply dealer and they can mix you up the white paint to match your existing white. They can literally put that in spray cans these days and once painted clear coat it and go wheeling.

Good luck.

If you replace the fenders, take a good look at the fender support that bolts between the fender and the firewall. It probably needs help too.

The PO of my Jeep installed new fenders, but didn't replace the rusted supports. I found used, like new supports on ebay. While I was replacing the supports, I rehabbed the battery tray.

I just replaced the front fenders on my LJ. The first thing I did was cut out the support that is on the underside of the fender. It's actually more of a shelf and it is what causes the rust.

I suspect the original MOPAR fenders were a bit better but it was clear that the aftermarket fenders I bought, which were otherwise good, would rust out within a few years. The primer in this area was minimal and they used an adhesive bead of some sort that would clearly trap water, snow, crud, etc. There is no way that you can get any kind of rustproofing fluid up into that area as you do the rest of the Jeep.

I question how much support it gives the fenders.

user29786_pic106048_1598183949.jpg