Dash cameras

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
I’m looking for a good dash cam. In short: a delivery driver hit me last year and lied to his employer about it. Unfortunately, I had no way to prove the sleazebag was at fault.

I’ve been considering the unobtrusive rear view mirror cameras.

Any pointers?

I have the Street Guardian SG9665GC in my F150. It’s a decent small camera that can be hidden behind the rearview mirror. Turns on automatically when the key is in the ignition.

I am looking for a waterproofcamera to install in my Jeep because I don’t know how water resistant that camera is.

I had a guy clip the mirror on my truck and it really looked like he was going to run. He was passing me on my left and was fish tailing off a center windrow of snow, damaged the back of my mirror and the front of his, he finally stopped and I recorded him on my phone admitting he hit me, he texted saying he wanted to buy an aftermarket mirror and install it himself (the answer was no) and he still lied to the insurance company claimed I tried to pass him and hit him. Because he is from a different province and my insurance can not force them to pay I got screwed and ended up having to cover it myself. Immeadiately afterwords I did exactly what your doing now.

I ended up with the Blackvue DS900S 2ch kinda pricey but it does cover both the front (4K) and rear (1080P) it can be set to record constantly even when parked or just marked events (it has a motion sensor). Does a good job even in the dark. And if you set it up when you park within range of your home WIFI it can auto up load any events to the cloud. They do make single channel one and it is fairly small sits behind my rear view mirror. It can not be seen from the drivers seat and if the led is switched off you really need to look hard to tell it is there from the outside.

I spent more than needed because the truck gets left for extended periods at the airport I installed a second 950CCA battery on an isolator and the camera runs strictly off that. There is more than enough power to run the cameras 24/7 for over a week without draining the start battery. So far I am really happy with it. It did come with a hardwiring wiring kit that I did not use because of the way I set it up. If you use the wiring kit the camera came with it will only draw down a vehicle battery to 12volts and will shut it self down so you will want to set it to record events only but it does capture a few seconds prior to the event. Bought off Amazon during the Black Friday sale.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch...NCPsm695UQA0XMGMEaAmZ9EALw_wcB#specifications

Last edited:
I would definitely go with the rearview mirror dash cam, just because it's harder for someone casually looking to tell you have one. I have the Pruveeo D700 and I've been very happy with it. It comes with a backup camera but I didn't install mine.

You'll need to buy a micro USB card for it, and as it gets filled up it will start recording over the oldest stuff.

I purchased a kit to hardwire it as I didn't want wires dangling down everywhere. It turns on when I start the engine and automatically starts recording. When I shut the engine off it stops and saves the recording before turning off.

I made a video of the entire installation.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
@Mr. Bills got a Revo (?) that he posted pics of somewhere a little while ago. I added that in my future list when I read about it.

@Mr. Bills have you installed and used yours yet?

@psrivats,regarding your profile photo: please don't screw around with your phone behind the wheel. Nothing on your phone is worth putting yourself or others at risk.

I ended up with the Blackvue DS900S 2ch kinda pricey but it does cover both the front (4K) and rear (1080P)

Woof! That's definitely a hefty price tag. We've got three vehicles at home, so I'm not sure I'd be able to spend that much. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

Effidy, effidy eff eff!! Wow, that was a surprise!
Pretty darned good video for night shots though.
This is what $16,000 in damages looks like
D6B40BBD-33E3-4AB5-BA20-3F9B0A8C230F.jpeg
D22550E6-F7A0-46D5-9872-CC62D7BD78AD.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
The blurry background of your icon and the fact that you're in a travel lane says very, very differently.
Click on @psrivats profile, then click on his avatar image to see the whole pic, un-cropped and not resized. You will see that he is indeed on the shoulder and standing still (notice the clearly visible cracks in the road out of the driver window). A little trust, my friend ;)

Reactions: psrivats