Dash lights flashing and bells going off!

PhotoKat

A few weeks ago my Jeep’s (2017 Rubicon) dash lights started flashing and beeping off and on while driving in the city. Very random, and the entire dash, including the stereo, even shut down completely and restarted like a computer would while driving. This did not affect the engine. Then, after about a handful of times I decided to pull over (dash lights were acting up again) to turn off the Jeep and start it up again to get the lights to stop flashing but the Jeep would not turn back on, it wouldn’t even turn when turning the key….NOTHING happened. I had to sit for a while before it would start up again. After this occurrence it started doing this more often, stranding me where ever I am, it would randomly not start.
I had a friend with a small computer read the dash and he said he saw spikes of voltage leading him to believe it’s the alternator, but he said he couldn’t be 100% sure unless he catches the Jeep acting up while the computer is attached. I called the Jeep service department and they said the same. The problem here is that it could take hours for the Jeep to act up so they can get a reading at $160 an hour. 😳😫
Questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. If I replace the alternator, the Jeep original parts are quite a bit more expensive, can anyone recommend a less expensive alternator that will not go bad in a short time?

This is a forum for TJ's and you might get better answers on a JK forum. I'd start with checking the battery and make sure the terminals are tight and fully seated. They tend to get loose on JKs for some reason. On my wife's JK I had to take a hammer and socket to lightly tap the terminal down to fully seat it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This is a forum for TJ's and you might get better answers on a JK forum. I'd start with checking the battery and make sure the terminals are tight and fully seated. They tend to get loose on JKs for some reason. On my wife's JK I had to take a hammer and socket to lightly tap the terminal down to fully seat it.

Thank you, I realized that after I submitted the question. 🙄 I hadn't had enough coffee yet I guess. Thank you for the suggestion, I will check those out. :)

My husband went to check on that and said that you were right, the red one to the battery was loose. But do you think that would cause all the lights to flash and beep on the dash? And even shut the entire dash down and restart while driving? I guess we will see, huh? So strange.
Absolutely yes. The TJ forum is for 1997 to 2006 models which is a completely different beast. 😊

lol…true. Thank you 🙂

It looks like

Thank you so much for this advise, both connections on my battery were really loose and so far everything is working great! 🤞 You may have just saved me hundreds of $$$! ☺️😃 Thank you again.

• Love
It looks like

Thank you so much for this advise, both connections on my battery were really loose and so far everything is working great! 🤞 You may have just saved me hundreds of $$$! ☺️😃 Thank you again.

You're welcome. That's what these forums are for.