Daubies at home HEMI conversion

So, not much progress this weekend. Only had a little time on Sunday during the Colts lack of effort.😳
I laid out all 3 harnesses and started to tidy them up and plug them in. Everything looks pretty good and seems to fit right back in place and look very factory. Only problem with the Hotwire harnesses is that it makes your original wiring look bad being old dirty and faded..🤪 Guess that's not really a bad thing..
Also finished mounting my trans cooler, put the condenser back in and installed the new radiator. I sat the body back on temporarily to check for fan and radiator clearance. Looks like I have enough.
The 3" exhaust pipe bends should be here by the weekend, so I'm going to try and finish the exhaust this weekend. Also got 3/8" FI rubber fuel hose to run from the tank to the engines to replace the 5/16" that is there now. Seems it's highly recommend to upsize that to prevent fuel starvation at WOT.

IMG_20230101_172624512_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230108_180243730.jpg

IMG_20230107_175033333_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230107_182447382_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230110_113056359_HDR.jpg

Nice. 3

Nice. 3“ is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking since running dual tailpipes out one side would be very tight. I kind of mocked up duals with the other pipe and I think it might be above my pay grade to get them to fit properly. Not saying it can't be done, just not by me this time around.

NashvilleTJ,
Also, I wanted to ask you if you are also using the built in trans cooler thats in the radiator or are you bypassing that one and only using the one you have behind the grill? I'm trying to decide which way to go with mine. Leaning towards only using the add on one. It has a built in thermostat that opens at 160 to help get the fluid up to operating temp faster.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking since running dual tailpipes out one side would be very tight. I kind of mocked up duals with the other pipe and I think it might be above my pay grade to get them to fit properly. Not saying it can't be done, just not by me this time around.

NashvilleTJ,
Also, I wanted to ask you if you are also using the built in trans cooler thats in the radiator or are you bypassing that one and only using the one you have behind the grill? I'm trying to decide which way to go with mine. Leaning towards only using the add on one. It has a built in thermostat that opens at 160 to help get the fluid up to operating temp faster.

I run both. When it’s cold the stock style radiator cooler actually helps warm up the tranny.

Reactions: Wildman
I run both. When it’s cold the stock style radiator cooler actually helps warm up the tranny.

Thanks....
I would definitely run both if mine didn't have the 160deg bypass valve built in, but I'm thinking with that it'll get warm quick and then when up to temp it won't be pulling any heat from the radiator. It might stay in operating temp easier. Don't really know for sure but that makes sense to me..

Thanks....
I would definitely run both if mine didn't have the 160deg bypass valve built in, but I'm thinking with that it'll get warm quick and then when up to temp it won't be pulling any heat from the radiator. It might stay in operating temp easier. Don't really know for sure but that makes sense to me..

Which cooler are you using? On the units like the Derale, the temp sensor simply serves to turn on the fan, there is no bypass. Is there something like a thermostat on yours?

Which cooler are you using? On the units like the Derale, the temp sensor simply serves to turn on the fan, there is no bypass. Is there something like a thermostat on yours?

I am using the Hayden 698.
Below is a picture of it. I understand that all of the "9" series models of those coolers have a built in thermo bypass at 160 deg, then opens to run through the cooler. That last number "8" is then the size. I think mine is next to largest.

Screenshot_20230112-181441.png

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I am using the Hayden 698.
Below is a picture of it. I understand that all of the "9" series models of those coolers have a built in thermo bypass at 160 deg, then opens to run through the cooler. That last number "8" is then the size. I think mine is next to largest.

View attachment 391361

Very cool. That’s a new one on me.

Just a general forum question, does it make a difference that I upload the photos full size as opposed to thumbnail?
I like to see the full size better, but thought I'd just ask to get more input on what others thought.
Thanks

I ran one of the thermal bypass transmission coolers for 3 years, including daily driving in the Winters. It worked well…

I bypassed my radiator cooler after it allowed coolant into my transmission. Destroyed every friction band and disk pretty quickly…

Now I run a heat sink cooler and a big tube and fin cooler with a thermal bypass in-line before the coolers. Works perfectly for the Hemi/545RFE drivetrain…