Daubies at home HEMI conversion

Had to work this Saturday so didn't have a lot of time to sort the low power issue, …

You, ahhhhhhh, sure you didn’t accidently intall an LS?

🙂

You’re getting there, Dude. Always a hundred little issues to resolve even after you get it running. Glad you got a little taste of what it will be like once you do.

You, ahhhhhhh, sure you didn’t accidently intall an LS?

🙂

You’re getting there, Dude. Always a hundred little issues to resolve even after you get it running. Glad you got a little taste of what it will be like once you do.

I'm not sure of too many things, but "NOT" an LS for sure .... They aren't even allowed on the property..🤪

And, an LS would probably not run on even 7 cylinders...😂

Had to work this Saturday so didn't have a lot of time to sort the low power issue, but my Buddy brought his Snap-On scanner over for me to borrow.

On the engine running lame issues.

I ran a full scan on the Snap On scanner and no codes or errors.
I pulled the muffler and tailpipe off to be sure wasn't somehow choked down, no difference. Was a suggestion by a mechanic friend just to help diagnose.
I unplugged all the engine and O2 sensors one at a time like was also suggested and made no difference.
I then went old school and started pulling coil signal wires one at a time and discovered this odd condition that is in this video.

Check this out,
I have a 4 cylinder hemi..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFDNyZ9ZnRYVHfid6

It was only running on 4 cylinders, 3 on the left bank and 1 on the right bank. Cylinders 2, 3, 4 and 6 not firing. Can't believe it was running and driving at all, especially not throwing any codes.
I don't show in the video but I took an extra plug wire and plug and checked each cylinder and had spark in all 8.
So I figure it has to be fuel. I pulled the fuel rails and injectors and the 4 that matched up with the dead cylinders would not click when I bench tested them. I still have the injectors I took out of the engine when I got it, bench tested and sprayed cleaner through them, put them in and runs like it should.!! I'll also include that video.

So much better when all 8 are hitting...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKCsuuWAFZTPTgaUA

Put the exhaust back on and took it for a drive. WOW, what a difference
Drove it a few miles and everything seemed pretty good, then on my way home (just had to do it) I stood on it WOT and the instant I did that I got the CEL on and went into limp mode. I got 6 codes, 3 for the TB, P0121, P0123, P0223 and 3 for the accelerator pedal, P2101, P2110, P2135. Limped home cleared the codes and was out of time for the day.
Yesterday I took it out for another drive seemed to run very strong and perform as it should but I never went full throttle and didn't have any issues.
I may have an issue with the drive by wire not being fully synced between the TB and pedal at this time and need to look into that after i put a few more close to home test miles on it and see if it might self learn/adjust.
Does anyone know if I'll have to do a relearn on the pedal/TB or will it self adjust over time?

The 6-8 miles I drove it yesterday already let me know the time and money spent is going to be well worth it.!!

Have a question about these 2 videos I linked in this post, do they play ok when you click on them?
These I think are cloud based files as opposed to putting them on YouTube. Just wanted to see if this worked or go back to loading on YouTube.
Thanks in advance for your response..

Have a question about these 2 videos I linked in this post, do they play ok when you click on them?
These I think are cloud based files as opposed to putting them on YouTube. Just wanted to see if this worked or go back to loading on YouTube.
Thanks in advance for your response..

I have SHITTY internet service so for me I like YouTube as they are easier to playback but those did work. Just have to let them load first before they will play.

Thanks for the replies, that's what I wanted to know.
I'll go back to putting any other videos from now on on YouTube.
Don't know till you try..

Reactions: Wildman
Wow. Incredible job sir. Excellent work documenting and photographing it all for the rest of us dreamers too. Haha. I’m in money saving and parts locating mode right now for my hemi swap. I have the Holley mounts and was planning on using that with their headers and exhaust since they don’t require a body lift but I saw they already discontinued the exhaust parts of their kit for some reason.

My question for you is, with the body back on how much clearance do you have with your exhaust? Is it even possible to route without the body lift? Thanks in advance and keep up the amazing work!

Reactions: hardtailpan
Wow. Incredible job sir. Excellent work documenting and photographing it all for the rest of us dreamers too. Haha. I’m in money saving and parts locating mode right now for my hemi swap. I have the Holley mounts and was planning on using that with their headers and exhaust since they don’t require a body lift but I saw they already discontinued the exhaust parts of their kit for some reason.

My question for you is, with the body back on how much clearance do you have with your exhaust? Is it even possible to route without the body lift? Thanks in advance and keep up the amazing work!

Thanks for your nice compliment.
First off I'm not a big body lift guy by any means. That being said, the 1" extra clearance really does make a lot more room in a lot of places. Not saying you couldn't do it without the body lift but it makes it easier. Makes more room for the trans bell housing too.
Thanks again..

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I just read through and maybe I missed it, but what year vehicle did your Hemi come out of?

Thanks for your nice compliment.
First off I'm not a big body lift guy by any means. That being said, the 1" extra clearance really does make a lot more room in a lot of places. Not saying you couldn't do it without the body lift but it makes it easier. Makes more room for the trans bell housing too.
Thanks again..

I had the same view on the body lift. The tranny, and the additional structural brace on top of mine, created clearance issues in the tunnel and drove the need for the body lift when I did the Hemi. It did also help a bit with exhaust clearence.

I just read through and maybe I missed it, but what year vehicle did your Hemi come out of?

2005 Rumble Bee Ram 1500

Last year for the aluminum valve covers and "Crossfire" plug wires. I replaced those with shorty wires in the same cylinder, fires like the 06 and on..

Thanks for the quick replies. In what I’ve read about the swap, the 2 reasons stated for needing a body lift are for the exhaust and the transmission clearance. I’ll be using an AX15, which should theoretically fit since they came in TJs stock and the Holley engine mounts keep the engine just a little lower in the chassis from what i understand. It’s a bummer that Holley discontinued their headers and exhaust because I’ve read they fit like a glove. Any chance you can snap a couple pics whenever you might be around the Jeep of the exhaust clearance to the body? Thanks again for all previous pics. Probably one of the best write ups I’ve seen on this.

Thanks for the quick replies. In what I’ve read about the swap, the 2 reasons stated for needing a body lift are for the exhaust and the transmission clearance. I’ll be using an AX15, which should theoretically fit since they came in TJs stock and the Holley engine mounts keep the engine just a little lower in the chassis from what i understand. It’s a bummer that Holley discontinued their headers and exhaust because I’ve read they fit like a glove. Any chance you can snap a couple pics whenever you might be around the Jeep of the exhaust clearance to the body? Thanks again for all previous pics. Probably one of the best write ups I’ve seen on this.

The 545RFE is a big sucker, much bigger than the AX15. Is the AX15 up to the power of the Hemi?

And note that the Hemi has to be mounted a few inches forward of the I6 to clear the firewall. So the tranny is farther forward as well.

These are the headers I used: JBA. It's still tight - especially on the driver's side - but they work.

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 359.JPG

The rest of my exhaust is all custom SS.

Speaking of the 545, here is a view of mine showing the top plate I mentioned having to clear with the body lift.

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 501.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice set up Nashville. Any idea what the headers were originally meant for? Grand Cherokee/ Charger/ etc? I did know about the engine moving forward and needing to fab up a little ‘extension’ to get the shifter back in the stock floor opening. My build plan is a new Mopar 5.7 long block and brand new AX15 from Novak. The new AX15s have a bunch of upgrades since they were put in TJs originally and are supposed to be rated over 300 lb. Ft. and surviving behind LS power OK. My Jeep is mostly a cruiser and trail rider at best. It won’t be abused too badly so I think it should hold up ok.

Very nice set up Nashville. Any idea what the headers were originally meant for? Grand Cherokee/ Charger/ etc? I did know about the engine moving forward and needing to fab up a little ‘extension’ to get the shifter back in the stock floor opening. My build plan is a new Mopar 5.7 long block and brand new AX15 from Novak. The new AX15s have a bunch of upgrades since they were put in TJs originally and are supposed to be rated over 300 lb. Ft. and surviving behind LS power OK. My Jeep is mostly a cruiser and trail rider at best. It won’t be abused too badly so I think it should hold up ok.

No idea, actually. Picked them up from Red Rock Offroad. Sold specifically for a Hemi swap in a TJ.

And not to gum up Daubie's thread, but if you are talking about a 5.7 Hemi you know it makes a bunch more than 300 ft pounds, right?

Thanks for the recommendation Nashville. I’ll look into them. And yeah, I know the hemi is good for more than 300, haha, but it won’t be bouncing off rocks or anything. It’ll be ok with my little 31” tires.

Sure..
I should have some time this weekend to get some pictures of the areas you are asking about. Seems that I never have time though the week to even go out to the shop, let alone get any "work" done.😁
I also needed to keep my exhaust a little higher because of the trans cross member that I added.
A little about that.... I almost didn't add that and let me tell you the cross member in my opinion is one of the best upgrades you can have. I've owned several TJ's over the years and this is the first one that's had the cross member. GAME CHANGER That's just my opinion but I've already had the belly shovel off about 4 times making little adjustments and checking on things. Not a necessity, but oh how much nicer when all you have to do is zip out 6 bolts and drop it, no having to block up the drive line that is always in the way the first place you position it. You can even drive with it off. So definitely look into that upgrade. Sorry, got off on a little tangent there...(Can you tell I like it)
As far as the exhaust manifolds versus headers, I from the beginning had pretty much decided to stick with the cast iron manifolds from a Jeep Grand cherokee/Commander. I'm sure a lot of products are better today than they were 30 40 years ago when I was using tubular headers on a lot of different car builds I tinkered with and even the best brand back then "Hooker" still had a lot of problems with warpage and cracks, I had both issues with just about every brand I used. Since then marriage kid and career left last time and money to tinker with vehicles. Fast forward to now when I'm back into tinkering more and like I said I'm not looking for max power output just something reliable and least amount of upkeep. The other reason I went with manifolds and new heat shields is my theam is to appear as though this could have been a factory option. The heat shields help cut down on under hood temps. They might be able to be used with headers also. Not against others using headers by any means, just my reason not using them. Can't really offer any good advice on the AX15 behind the HEMI, although I think this is my first TJ with an automatic. I specifically bought this one to do the swap so I was wanting an automatic for ease of the conversion. I'm not one to tell someone else how/what to do but I'll tell you why I do what I do, and we all know there's as many ways to do things as there are JEEPS.

WOW... That got really lengthy real fast just asking for pics... With my OM CRS I have, if it don't speak it while it comes to me it might be gone forever...😳🤪

I like the crossmember you made as well. That stock bellypan takes up a lot of space. I also think you are absolutely spot on with the exhaust manifold reasoning. I’m all for reliability over an extra maybe 10 horsepower. The only reason I wanted the Holley’s were because they came with a y pipe and it all bolted on without any fab work. Thanks for all the feedback!

Reactions: Wildman and Daubie3