Dave Kishpaugh's (Jeep West) geometry correction brackets are now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought @starkey480 was talking about moving the axle upper .625 down?
He was.
that is what I was talking about. He’s just mentioning another way to reduce AS. You can reduce AS by lowering the axle upper, raising the frame upper, or lowering the frame lower.
Yep. Trying to show the lower control arm has a more dramatic effect on AS but the downside is to achieve that you start making larger compromises.

200.gif

I have never seen anyone make a case for mid arms being better on the road. In fact my understanding is the exact opposite. My understanding is that most mid arms are a 4 link system with no tracbar and will actually have more body roll on the road than short arms. I thought jjvw said something earlier in the thread about this. (I'm just talking geometry here. Body roll can also be mitigated somewhat with dual rate springs and shocks.)

jjvw, can you give your input on how a midarm changes handling characteristics on the road. In particular body roll and handling dynamics.
You are correct. The Savvy mid arm has a lower roll center and less constraint of the axle. So on road handling is effected negatively to a degree. This is where shocks and swaybars play a role in tuning out those characteristics.

it's a fair point. How often do LCA frame mounts present a clearanceissue on a shortarm where the mount is within the radius of the tire?
Depends where you wheel, but in my neck of the woods and in other areas where you are going through and climbing boulder/rock fields it is a fair bit of the time. My frame mounts are beat to hell because of contact. I personally would not want to give up any clearance for AS. But to each his own and everyone wheels in different terrain, so it may be worth the sacrifice as stated above.

If lowering the frame side LCA mount reduces antisquat to a noticable amount, would we just be able to play around with a calculator and lower it just enough to where redrilling would benefit? Im just gonna use 1" as an example. I wouldnt be too worried about my control arm "head" sticking out a bit lower for noticable AS reduction

I talked to dave a long time ago about his brackets asking a bunch of questions, and one was why cant I just redrill the lowers and he told me ill have no AS and have a sinking rear end similar to the RE longarm etc. is it possible to find that small measurement without decreasing AS to an unwanted amount, that we can all benefit from simply by drilling a hole on both Frame side LCA mounts?

Just thinking out loud here

It
If lowering the frame side LCA mount reduces antisquat to a noticable amount, would we just be able to play around with a calculator and lower it just enough to where redrilling would benefit? Im just gonna use 1" as an example. I wouldnt be too worried about my control arm "head" sticking out a bit lower for noticable AS reduction
yes it does. That is about the max we can go with stock mounts and loosing too much clearance. It is about trade offs. Having perfect AS in the name of loosing clearance isn’t always acceptable. Perfect AS doesn’t mean anything if we can’t get to the steep climb further up the trail because we get hung up on rocks due to clearance issues.

Reactions: Rick Flair and D M
I talked to dave a long time ago about his brackets asking a bunch of questions, and one was why cant I just redrill the lowers and he told me ill have no AS and have a sinking rear end similar to the RE longarm etc. is it possible to find that small measurement without decreasing AS to an unwanted amount, that we can all benefit from simply by drilling a hole on both Frame side LCA mounts?

Just thinking out loud here
He may have been referring to drilling the lowers alone with out correcting the uppers would create the issue.

Reactions: Rick Flair and D M
He may have been referring to drilling the lowers alone with out correcting the uppers would create the issue.
Yes thats what I was meaning to say, but back to redrilling the lowers, would it be possible to simply redrill the lowers just by a small amount to reduce AS(using a calc to get wanted #s) or would it not be worth it

Yes thats what I was meaning to say, but back to redrilling the lowers, would it be possible to simply redrill the lowers just by a small amount to reduce AS(using a calc to get wanted #s) or would it not be worth it
Plug it into a calculator. I don’t think you can get to where you want to go by only changing the lowers.

Plug it into a calculator. I don’t think you can get to where you want to go by only changing the lowers.
I might have missed it in the many pages back, but which calculator is recommended to use

Status
Not open for further replies.