Dave's I should be spending this money on my house build.

So far this week I got a lot of parts in and got a few installed. On Monday my steering stabilizer, Northern radiator, and Rancho RS5000x shocks came in.

Last night I got the fronts mounted and learned I need about another inch of bump stop. Tonight I clearanced the spring buckets and got the rears mounted. The rears have about the same collapsed length as the shocks I took off so at least I don't have to add bump to the rear.

I took it for a little test drive and stretched it out on the nearest rock. So far I think it corners a little flatter and is smoother over the sharp small bumps. I'll have a better idea of how they feel after my drive into work tomorrow. I'm mainly hoping to get rid of some of the harshness on small sharp edged bumps like you find on bridges and when you cross a v-gutter at an intersection.

Q4J4MNlyV4xLwZdNcoe5voEZ1RCBqsHA9xl9-nx_b7MtLwCP-HH9TW0AAZIMTp6vYAGf3HIfD7HsyPgVxb=w1238-h696-no.jpg

h1KMTIKo0n_PBInzHuWRz6L8WdiALH-4-tSKRyYLho6YvtXR2LeEXbFWZn0JVjTCs--A1aF8fqZ094t5Iq=w1238-h696-no.jpg

TYa1TFXpKk0MgF5H90RYyLNyeFEnyNgHhFJQH0HZfMOeXPaAQ1YFiAoA-8az0L_-IA_qcFQYZZrQmP4impe=w392-h696-no.jpg

I got my northern radiator installed today. The china junk vatozone radiator that was removed was leaking at the top tank. I had to modify both the fan shroud and the radiator to make it work. Wasn't really a big deal but I did have in in and out an extra time in making it fit. The Northern radiator is significantly bigger than stock and as @mrblaine (if you need any more pictures let me know) noted on TOS it doesn't fit well if you have an AC condenser in the way. Pictures below.

AqG4iA-uWo_h1fqPSRxASmAUr35bF1TyNTL7wkTviAzonIxZsoLlfLLNPkQXNNGh9NRLfrs_Z25K1m03HK=w1238-h696-no.jpg

yLxDLuh7N-v8wiMz2v1EDOsHX-aF2IKrCSHY96zdfWGarYH1eLIRWpdfwxQ9sYTJNuVRe3SZS6fXa2Cu8K=w1238-h696-no.jpg

8KpiPyhRQqoleR2bRdiDjbL6IehgYYmoLo_JSXuy5DqOuGp221IzHuSIb6cm0ij8wcAInrThvIwzXBMrO-=w1238-h696-no.jpg

Ggc4Z4Mngp24Plx2gkAH2dRV-M_nqhNt_OhBRR3reBRspb1O9wWIP_hz6SB1CKCKLXxQxFz_dGTR87Fu-D=w1238-h696-no.jpg

9H5_kUzi7f4AUhgDXkTiwJDnbg7USAX14lBZMRYJPRYszkHTv__OpCWrG1dcuSQe9J1ldLqdeSwY7VTz3N=w1238-h696-no.jpg

ENkyKEhkTxlRffoV910AioBLWWf5oQFbYOdu-H1ShmLtaxZ8CTHoOhNxCpeRFL5FYy2G5IdHs754tNVbPY=w1238-h696-no.jpg

Vsvb4KByy_dXFmYC7x6M6h6ZnpLNIetCd5Gqda27Sk-yrV1u8mMlmb8g6uvAVMi4HqLr2NCIZOJxxuQDFo=w1238-h696-no.jpg

d9ZBeCJsFVVRKnq4NQxtZ1cKEFNYg0DNAU4wpKS9pRxtKS7hfKfqqz7AZ7sDu2i6OtgXYONN0A4bocjkpm=w1238-h696-no.jpg

81xaGCCmKMDef86Vr28a6xxm2qglRIU90IlcpnLIOET034FuZ_8r9bi5l_o7FwMZMJ96JD3zldWZLKkwc3n=w392-h696-no.jpg

I got my northern radiator installed today. The china junk vatozone radiator that was removed was leaking at the top tank. I had to modify both the fan shroud and the radiator to make it work. Wasn't really a big deal but I did have in in and out an extra time in making it fit. The Northern radiator is significantly bigger than stock and as @mrblaine (if you need any more pictures let me know) noted on TOS it doesn't fit well if you have an AC condenser in the way. Pictures below.

View attachment 14509

View attachment 14510

View attachment 14511

View attachment 14512

View attachment 14513

View attachment 14514

View attachment 14515

View attachment 14516

View attachment 14517
Thank you. It's plain to see that they are just as crappy as Wizard. They tried to tell me that no one had ever complained and the radiators fit perfectly based on the 1000's they have out there. We had to do the same mods to the fan shroud top and bottom and the holes for the shroud didn't line up at all.

I don't need any more pictures, I do however, need a radiator company that doesn't have it's head up it's ass.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Thank you. It's plain to see that they are just as crappy as Wizard. They tried to tell me that no one had ever complained and the radiators fit perfectly based on the 1000's they have out there. We had to do the same mods to the fan shroud top and bottom and the holes for the shroud didn't line up at all.

I don't need any more pictures, I do however, need a radiator company that doesn't have it's head up it's ass.

The holes didn't line up too bad on mine for the shroud. The lower left mounting hole didn't line up real well though (well at least one of them didn't), I had to remove one of the two lower bolts to drop the radiator in.

The holes drilled for the shroud were too big though so I used some of the trim clips (don't know what the hell they are called) and different bolts to attach the fan shroud. Then I had to notch the radiator shroud support to fit those. I could've used nuts and bolts or used bolts to make studs to mount the shroud but this seemed like the easier option.

Also had to space the shroud out a bit to keep from flexing it too much on the oversized tanks. And I trimmed the upper hose again to match up with the oversized tank better.

None of this was too complicated, but it would have been nice if it fit better. Have you tried a Be Cool radiator? They are pretty damn expensive, but it might be worth it if they are good enough. Then again I could've just ordered an OE radiator for $250 and been done with it for another 15 years. I'm hoping this one holds together for a while.

The holes didn't line up too bad on mine for the shroud. The lower left mounting hole didn't line up real well though (well at least one of them didn't), I had to remove one of the two lower bolts to drop the radiator in.

We had the same issue. The lower bolt holes to mount it to the grill shell are too far apart. It wouldn't take much to acquire a factory radiator and use that to get correct dimensions.

The holes drilled for the shroud were too big though so I used some of the trim clips (don't know what the hell they are called) and different bolts to attach the fan shroud. Then I had to notch the radiator shroud support to fit those. I could've used nuts and bolts or used bolts to make studs to mount the shroud but this seemed like the easier option.

They supply hardware in the from of nuts and bolts but reaching down behind the flange to put a nut on is just dumb. FYI, that "trim clip" is called an extruded U nut long pattern. There are typically two lengths, long and short and that describes the distance in from the edge of the panel to the center of the hole. The way you notched yours would need super extra long which isn't made that I've ever seen.

Also had to space the shroud out a bit to keep from flexing it too much on the oversized tanks. And I trimmed the upper hose again to match up with the oversized tank better.
We had to do the same but our shroud was a bit lower and we didn't space it out.

None of this was too complicated, but it would have been nice if it fit better. Have you tried a Be Cool radiator? They are pretty damn expensive, but it might be worth it if they are good enough. Then again I could've just ordered an OE radiator for $250 and been done with it for another 15 years. I'm hoping this one holds together for a while.

Did you contact Northern and let them know that for the money you spent it should fit at least as well as an OEM?

We had the same issue. The lower bolt holes to mount it to the grill shell are too far apart. It wouldn't take much to acquire a factory radiator and use that to get correct dimensions.

They supply hardware in the from of nuts and bolts but reaching down behind the flange to put a nut on is just dumb. FYI, that "trim clip" is called an extruded U nut long pattern. There are typically two lengths, long and short and that describes the distance in from the edge of the panel to the center of the hole. The way you notched yours would need super extra long which isn't made that I've ever seen.

We had to do the same but our shroud was a bit lower and we didn't space it out.

Did you contact Northern and let them know that for the money you spent it should fit at least as well as an OEM?

I haven't contacted them, but I plan to leave a fairly detailed review on amazon where I bought it ($275 shipped for reference w/ prime). I might shoot them an email with the same info.

I did notice on my way into work this morning that it seems to cool better than my previous radiators have. Both the stock (albeit old) and china junk replacement have held the needle on my gauge steadily at just into the "0" on 210. This one climbs to the same spot, then drops down to about an equal amount below the center line and repeats. Seems to cool in about 7-10 seconds to the point that the thermostat closes. Definitely has more cooling capacity IMO. Now hopefully it will last.

Reactions: Chris
I would indeed leave a detailed review on Amazon. That will hit them where it hurts. For the money you're spending (like Blaine said), you should be getting something that fits just as good as the OE radiator.

And my lower radiator hose is still leaking a bit today. Looks like I'm going to need to put a real hose clamp on it. The spring one doesn't seem to be getting it done. I tried to get the spring clamp stretched out yesterday and it stopped it for a while but it looks like it was only a temporary fix.

Last edited:
And my lower radiator hose is still leaking a bit today. Looks like I'm going to need to put a real hose clamp on it. The spring one doesn't seem to be getting it done. I tried to get the spring clamp stretched out yesterday and it stopped it for a while but it looks like it was only a temporary fix.
Yep, forgot to mention that their hose necks are a bit undersize. Our spring clamps worked after the hoses warmed up a bit.

I haven't contacted them, but I plan to leave a fairly detailed review on amazon where I bought it ($275 shipped for reference w/ prime). I might shoot them an email with the same info.

I did notice on my way into work this morning that it seems to cool better than my previous radiators have. Both the stock (albeit old) and china junk replacement have held the needle on my gauge steadily at just into the "0" on 210. This one climbs to the same spot, then drops down to about an equal amount below the center line and repeats. Seems to cool in about 7-10 seconds to the point that the thermostat closes. Definitely has more cooling capacity IMO. Now hopefully it will last.
A lot of people on this form hail the factory radiator however in my opinion should work as you described holding temp to t-stat temp (195) any thing over you are producing more heat then can desapate

A lot of people on this form hail the factory radiator however in my opinion should work as you described holding temp to t-stat temp (195) any thing over you are producing more heat then can desapate
It might have 15 years ago? Cheap china junk I bought was clearly not up to snuff. I didn't buy the jeep from the dealership though so I can't say how it reacted when new. I also may have just been paying more attention to the temp after doing the 2nd radiator install.

Reactions: Chris
It's been a while since I have updated this but a while back my buddy gave me his old fender flares so I cleaned them up, put a coat of trim paint on them and got them installed.

I've got some frame tie ins from poison spider to install at the rear bumper and I've also got a jeep air ac system ordered too so there should be more updates coming in the near future.

20190216_151234.jpg

20190216_151421.jpg

20190216_155026.jpg

20190216_155040.jpg

20190220_155907.jpg

20190220_155924.jpg

Got my frame tie ins installed today. Bumper seems more sturdy than before. I think it will handle a basket of camping gear pretty well now.
20190622_140606.jpg

We also finished up the wiring and mounting on my dad's roof rack for the Jimmy.
20190622_133946.jpg

20190622_143207.jpg

Hockey pucks worked out great as mounts.

20190622_133953.jpg

20190622_140909.jpg

Over the long weekend I got my Jeep Air AC kit installed. Not everything went as smoothly as I had hoped but in the end it all worked out.

For the most part their kit has everything you need to get the job done. However, they supply the absolute worst fitting aftermarket AC lines I have ever seen in my life. My dad and I fought them for quite a while to get them somewhat acceptable. I also had to remove some material from the flange on the low pressure line from the compressor at the accumulator as the two lines didn't fit together. (I'll take some finished pics later on for you guys I only took a few at the end of the first day during the install) Everything else fit pretty well but I had a little trouble with the rear support bracket for the compressor that attaches to the block. Not Jeep Airs fault, the threads on the block were just badly rusted and weren't metric threads as their supplied hardware suggested. Ended up being 3/8 16 IIRC, had to make a bottoming tap out of a spare tap to get a bolt to thread in all the way.

I didn't take the dash completely out as some people do, we just dropped the column and pulled the dash forward. The dash removal wasn't really that bad other than the stud behind the head. There are two nuts on that stud and that had me scratching my head for a bit. I knew I took off the (5) nuts but there is another behind the cowl drain.

Final random thoughts:
  • I'm glad I ordered a heater core as mine was starting to leak
  • ratcheting wrenches are super helpful
  • I love my Milwaukee M12 stubby impact
  • Fuck Jeep Air's supplied AC lines, the big one is a PITA to bend
  • Fuck Northern Radiator. Not only will it not fit with a condenser, it had also started leaking already.
20190705_111922.jpg

20190705_111943.jpg

20190705_111951.jpg

20190705_111958.jpg

20190705_171405.jpg

20190705_171410.jpg

20190705_171416.jpg

20190705_175901.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Well, not much building has been going on in this thread for a while but I have been on a few trips. First pictures are from my honeymoon to Tahoe.

We took the scenic route there and saw a sign that mentioned Mark Twain's cabin. It was a short detour and i nice spot to stretch our legs. Duke is always excited to get out and smell new places.
20190825_160629.jpg

20190825_160751.jpg

Once we got a little closer to Tahoe we stopped again on Hwy 4 at a road that leads to the Pacific Crest Trail, kinda neat to stumble across.

20190825_182126.jpg

We rented a house/ cabin by a golf course on the North shore of Lake Tahoe. I didn't realize how big that lake really is. Took almost an hour to get to the north shore from the first water we saw.

Lake Tahoe seems to have something against Great Danes drinking Martinis, luckily Duke doesn't like to drink.

20190826_165552.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

Next stop the Rubicon Trail. We dropped in from the lake side, the first mile or so of the trail is really rough and not that fun. It's a bunch of cobblestone like river rock, even aired down it was rough. We finally made it to some smoother sections and some bigger rocks though. Duke loved running from lake to lake and getting a quick swim in.

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8584.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8624.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

Later in the week we went rafting on the Truckee river. Duke had a blast and was surprisingly good in the raft.
IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8667.jpg

At one point while walking around town we found this cool old Blazer/ CUCV?. Reminds me of my dad's (I've got an update coming on it too)
20190826_164508.jpg

That about sums up the photo reel from our Tahoe trip, I've got some more local trips and upgrades to talk about that I'll put in the next post(s).

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0