Dear California, have you always been on fire?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Or am I just hearing about it all the time now due to the endless, 24/7 news cycle.

Seriously, it seems like California is in one big constant state of fire, no matter the season.

On another note, my heart goes out to all the people there who have lost their homes and who are suffering through this unimaginable tragedy.

It sure seems that way. But it seems like it has just been in the last 3 years.

You're right, the last 3 years seem much more prominent. It just seems like I am ALWAYS reading about California being on fire. Sooner or later there won't be anymore forest to catch on fire!

It's really sad to watch... seriously.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Yes it is.
Native Californian here.
Due to the drought fires keep popping up left and right.
The whole City of Paradise litterly burnt down.
A actually city 28,000 people lost everything.
Some of whom I am good friends with.

Wild fire are devastating PG&E is rumored to have caused the fire in northern Cali.

But please please always remember to but out your fire completely when going camping.

The smoke in northern Cali is so bad right now parades and football games have been canceled it like a thick fog all day that never goes away.

REally Bad to breathe

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Yea, seems like there's almost always a fire in California that I'm hearing about, but this year is definitely worse than anything I've heard of.

Hell, I was at Harbor Freight this weekend and they had to use one of those old carbon paper credit card press things to ring me up since their headquarters and credit card processing was on fire up in California.

I feel especially bad for Thousand Oaks, CA. First they deal with a mass shooting (which apparently included survivors of the Las Vegas shooting) and now they have a massive wildfires spreading across the area.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
This is a huge problem all over the US and Canada, and it's due to years of horrible resource management. If somebody stops forests from going through their natural burn cycle AND forbids logging, this is what happens in a lot of places.

A lot of this is directly caused by management that has catered to tree huggers.

The north end of the state has just gone through a long drought. There has been a major and growing infestation of Bark Beetle in the forests of NorCal for decades. The state and federal agencies responsible for the forests have steadfastly blocked outright or slowed to a crawl the thinning of dead trees from the forest to appease the "environmentalists".

Reportedly, there are more than 130 million dead trees in California forests and the amount of fuel loads on the ground in the scrub and forest areas exceed several hundred million tons.

The conservation movement has turned thousands of square miles in the western states into ticking time bombs.

This is a huge problem all over the US and Canada, and it's due to years of horrible resource management. If somebody stops forests from going through their natural burn cycle AND forbids logging, this is what happens in a lot of places.

A lot of this is directly caused by management that has catered to tree huggers.

The north end of the state has just gone through a long drought. There has been a major and growing infestation of Bark Beetle in the forests of NorCal for decades. The state and federal agencies responsible for the forests have steadfastly blocked outright or slowed to a crawl the thinning of dead trees from the forest to appease the "environmentalists".

Reportedly, there are more than 130 million dead trees in California forests and the amount of fuel loads on the ground in the scrub and forest areas exceed several hundred million tons.

The conservation movement has turned thousands of square miles in the western states into ticking time bombs.

It won't be long before the environmentalists have no trees to worry about!

Besides that, aren't these nature hippies concerned about the air quality? I would assume that is part of being an "environmentalist".

I can tell you that the air quality from all those fires certainly isn't good for you long term!

If you listen to Governor Brown and Governor elect Newsom, the only solution is to take more of your hard earned money. The reality is two-fold. Both brought up already by @dla

Reactions: Chris
Big problem here in CO too. This past summer two twenty something kids were shooting tracers on the edge of Basalt CO. Because of the fire restrictions they should not of been using tracers but the range was still open. Luckily it stayed just outside of the town and I believe it only burned three homes.
I had I fire burning on the mtn just behind my house last summer too. Thankful they hit it fast and contained it in just a couple of weeks. The funny thing was they didn’t put it out and had to comeback multiple times to hit it again. Job security I guess??Rain finally came and put it out.

Reactions: Chris
I feel sorry for you guys in California... I hate then the air is polluted and nasty like that. We had to put up with that for about a month this Summer as all the winds were blowing the smoke up here. It was absolutely miserable!

Reactions: Powdermonkey
I can't imagine how Butte Co. will recover. I mean, it's bad enough our county is one of poorest in the state, and hammered 4 years in a row with devastating fires, but Butte Co. has to deal with the Oroville Dam repair, and now this. SoCal is getting hammered too. It's a whole different animal down south.

Reactions: dla

You're lumping in a lot of people to a problem that's related to a small, but vocal group of environmentalists that have focused on spotted owls and other individual species. I don't disagree that mismanagement has played a role, but it's nothing specific to one entire partisan viewpoint.

It's like catering too much to any special interest group. If you put too much weight into one group that is hyper focused on specific problems, you run the risk of missing other larger problems. However, the vast majority of "tree huggers" certainly don't believe bad forest management that allows wildfires is better than specific endangered species protection, even if they do also think that protecting endangered species is good too.

If you ask the left, the California's fires are the right's fault because of climate change and if you ask the right, it's because of environmentalists, but neither answer really accounts for everything going on and the finger pointing that happens between both just contributes to the mismanagement and miscommunication.

positive-proof-of-global-warming-18th-century-1900-1950-1970-22106146.png

The smoke is REALLY bad today at my house. My eyes are itching from it. When I was out and about this morning, lots of people wearing dust masks