Death Trap Build :) (check it out)

James Kitt

Here is my 1999 Red 4.0 Wrangler that I bought when I was 16 years old stock. She's been with me for 4+ years now and I have put a ridiculous amount of work into it.
Name the Death Trap because it will be the death of my wallet.
I have set up three categories for things:

What is currently on the jeep.

Whats in my garage to go on.

What my plans are for it.

I will post a metric F%$! ton of photos shortly for your viewing pleasure.

jepp.PNG

Last edited:
I like it! Why is it called the "death trap build" though? What am I missing there? :D

This Jeeps work has almost all been done by me and the help of some friend except the lift because my dad was not going to let me drill into my frame at 17 years old.
This thread serves a purpose to inspire others about projects and also keep track of a rough idea how much I spent.
Alright Now for the big questions to answer.

What is currently on the jeep.
  • Theft protection GPS locator and information reader
  • Monster lined Tub ($200)
  • Chassis saved entire frame ($100 for all materials)
  • 2.5 'now 3.5' Rough Country Adjustable Long Arm Lift kit ($1,500)
  • 3.5 Inch Metal Cloak Coil Springs ($350)
  • Stock axles (for now.. relax)
  • New 37x12.5R17 Nitto M/T on Used Raceline Monster Beadlocked wheels (Craigslist $1,900)
  • Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers (Craigslist $200)
  • Warn Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier (Craigslist $150)
  • China Brand Front bumper I liked a lot ($300)
  • Engo 10k pound synthetic winch ($300)
  • LED headlights ($100)
  • LED 14" light bar, two 2" pods, and turn signals($100)
  • Fire stick antenna, Cobra radio ($90)
  • Corbeau Front Racing seats (Craigslist $200 for both)
  • Engine Head replacement with all replacement parts ($650)
  • Kicker 12" Sub w/ box and Boss Amp ($90)
  • Corbeau 3 point harness ($100)
  • Replacement Radio and six speaker sound bar with kicker speakers ($150)
  • New Front steering (not sure on brand right now)
  • Internal red LED lighting ($40)
  • Metal cloak Front over line fender with four inch flares ($1000)
  • 1.25 inch Supreme wheel spacers ($80)
  • Custom hand made Rear storage box ($30)
  • LED circle Tail lights ($20)
  • HighLift Jack ($65)
  • SO MUCH CUSTOM METAL FAB WORK DONE....
  • Plenty more I'm forgetting...

Whats in my garage to go on.

• High pinion dana 30 sleeved and Artec Trussed. 4.88 gears , new mopar calipers and rotors, New timken hub bearings and Spicer axle u-joints. With off road only crossover uturn steering kit with Rancho steering stabilizer
  • 1998 Ford 8.8 with disk brakes. Artec Truss kit and swap kit for jeep tj. 4.88 gears and all new seals (Craigslist $1,700 for both)

What my plans are for the Death Trap.

• Install Air lockers in both axles
  • ARB onboard Air
  • Rear Bucket seat for passagger with harness seat belts
  • Either new weld on cage or bolt on (haven't really decided cause the $$$)
  • Genright Blank corner guards (I want to cut them to a certain style I like between a wheel well ext. and competition cut.
  • Flares for the corner guards.
  • 50inch light bar with bracket
  • Rock Lighting
  • Maybe A rear stretch!!!
  • And more im sure im forgetting

LET ME KNOW WHAT Y'ALL THINK

I rarely like aftermarket fenders on the TJ, but I actually really like them on yours!

I think the ARB lockers will be a nice addition, and I'd like to see the rear bucket seats once you have them done. That seems like a cool idea. I've always wished my rear seats had headrests on them!

Reactions: James Kitt
37s on dana 30 and and 8.8 i see you like to live dangerously. damn good build man
Thanks man and ya the tires and the axles were such great deals that I it just made sense at the time. I believe in the strength in the dana 30 since its trussed, sleeved etc and I might throw some chrome molly shafts in as well to beefen it. The trussed, sleeved and gusseted 8.8 dont bother me at all. One tons are preferred but being 20 and finding these deals made the decision for me. Also I dont wheel insanely hard on it

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Not gonna lie, that thing is eye candy.
Impressive work :)

I know quite a few running 4.88's with 37" tires but know more running 5.13's.
Yea, I should be able to get away with these 4.88 and its not like I beat on it nor daily drive it so Its much better off saving my money and taking what is already in the axles I bought than having to regear... $$$ is not plentiful for this college boy lol

Reactions: Chris
UPDATE:
Sold the Raceline Monster Beadlocks off the 37 Nittos for $1300. I bought those tires and rims for $1900. so Id say paying 600 bucks for 5 brand new 37x12.5 Nittos aint bad.
Looking to throw some cheaper steelies or aluminum rims on to reduce weight so I can reduce possible issues when the new dana 30 up front goes in.

Alright long time no update.

I got some cheaper steel rims on the 37s that. Also helped lighten them up a bit. Additiaonlly I got the Dana 30 and 8.8 cleaned up, paints and the Dana 30 has been installed in the front besides the track bar (which I’m having to custom shorten because of the artec bracket) and the 8.8 is about half way in. I’m look at putting the new brake lines in today! Here’s some photos

7FF56FE8-80B9-43AD-AE6B-147EB2157A58.jpeg

D54B36BF-53CF-4176-9691-CD70156925BA.jpeg

4BE6DA83-E27E-4938-AE5F-261EEB8F353D.jpeg
D0249D07-AB3A-4ADC-9474-43CF25A4009C.jpeg
33DE1C7A-F736-4810-AC6D-E814C849F126.jpeg
0A79D077-F6D2-4D72-8638-4712FAF668A5.jpeg
ALRIGHT FINALLY. The Jeep rolls and it’s amazing. Here are some
Photos of the new axles under her. Still need to bleed brakes again, connect front driveshaft, install new custom front trackbar, replace front tie rod, have the sway bar mounts welded on the 8.8, install the breathers, get the emergency brake adapters for the rear and finally I need to adjust the rear tire carrier to support the 37....BUT it can move on it’s own and it looks sexy so I’m happy. I really need to wax her tho.

This winter I’ll get around to getting a SYE in there at least and I have a few other ideas swirling around in my head.
I just want to be able to drive it again after two months!