California Death Valley trip ideas

picketpin

Hey, I'm looking for la good day trip out of the Death valley, we will be staying at the Ranch or Furnace Creek Ranch.. and my family is going to let me rent a jeep for a day. Unfortunately don't have the time to drive my TJ down from Montana.. Any way looking for a good day trip out of this area that would have good scenic value and maybe some good moderate four wheeling without fatiguing my family too much, so maybe a 6-8 hour trip. We will be there in November. I would appreciate any suggestions you California Folks have.

James

I'm not from California,but I recognize it on a map.

Here is a suggestion : WATER.

got to be something behind the name "death valley".

Like the water head kid that got in the fish tank at Disney world and the orca drowned him. Parents sued for no signage. The sign "killer whale " ought to have got his attention.

Reactions: picketpin
The road down to the Devil's Racetrack is something you wont forget. You head North to Ubehebe Crater and then back down south to Teakettle Junction and continue south to the Racetrack. Probably 3 hours each way. You can head out south to 190 but it's a bit rougher or just backtrack. Death Valley can wear on people, it is big and empty and not everybody likes that sort of thing. Death Valley is bigger than Delaware and twice the size of Rhode Island, there is allot to see but it can wear on people in the back seat.

Thanks for the great replies. I've looked into the sites, but hard to tell what the journey will be like getting there, so I really appreciate the info on that. Titus canyon is a definite possibility as its a fairly short trip and we can opt to explore side trips mines etc..

james

Try Titus Canyon road. Its not too difficult and its amazing off road to a few ghost town mines. Enter via Nevada side.

Agreed, just did Titus Canyon earlier this year! Farabee’s Jeep rental, JKU Rubicon. Family loved it!

In November is the Cal4Wheel, Panamint Valley Days. This valley is West of DV on the other side of the Panamint Range. During this event, the guided trails range from easy to most difficult (the ones I like). Plus an occasional fly over from the wing nuts out of China Lake. Check out cal4wheel.com