MunyanDailyJeeper

I am looking to compile a list of all the parts that make up the front end of a jeep. All the joints in the steering components on my Jeep are obviously in bad condition.

I would like to replace them myself but this is my daily driver and I work all day leaving next to no light to work with during the week.

Would I be able to get this done over a series of weekends and still drive it during the week with little or no damage to the new parts?

Also I have uploaded photos to show the worn parts and will upload more later for assistance in compiling this list.

Thank you for your help and knowledge in advance!

IMG_20190515_054514781.jpg

That's what I expected to see. that is a dropped pitman arm. And looks like you have the stock track bar. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have bump steer issues. Typically, you would lower the track bar on the frame side if using a dropped pitman arm to maintain the geometry. TB needs to be parallel with the drag link.

That's what I expected to see. that is a dropped pitman arm. And looks like you have the stock track bar. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have bump steer issues. Typically, you would lower the track bar on the frame side if using a dropped pitman arm to maintain the geometry. TB needs to be parallel with the drag link.

Thank you. TBH my knowledge of parts is small. Drag link and bump steer are new terms I will look them up.

Reactions: JMT and Hotrodbud
I had worn out steering components so I went ahead and went the buy once cry once method. I can't reccomend the Currie Currectlync system enough and I also installed a JKS adjustable track bar. It fixed all of my steering issues.

This is a good reference photo for steering components.

tjsteering(1).jpg

I would suggest to replace that pitman arm first, then do a dry steer test to see if the tie rod ends need attention. Do you know how much lift it has?

Someone bent the shit out of those tie rod ends. I just put new track bar, zj tie rods, new control arms, and I am having a bad problem with bumpsteer. It really wants to induce in a right hand curve and 45 mph. I stuck my head out of the drivers window and can watch the wheel flop around, axle is moving back and forth. It is a freaky thing to watch. Tim

Someone bent the shit out of those tie rod ends. I just put new track bar, zj tie rods, new control arms, and I am having a bad problem with bumpsteer. It really wants to induce in a right hand curve and 45 mph. I stuck my head out of the drivers window and can watch the wheel flop around, axle is moving back and forth. It is a freaky thing to watch. Tim
That's not bumpsteer.

I would skip the dropped pitman, otherwise it looks ok. I dont know anything about that track bar either, it looks ok but you wont know until you install and run it. Tools will be basic metric hand tools along with a ball joint press to get the track bar undone if you dont like the hammer and beat on it method.

I would skip the dropped pitman, otherwise it looks ok. I dont know anything about that track bar either, it looks ok but you wont know until you install and run it. Tools will be basic metric hand tools along with a ball joint press to get the track bar undone if you dont like the hammer and beat on it method.

The track bar was suggested by twistedlv and I don't mind the beat with a hammer method since I will be replacing them not saving them.

Reactions: astjp2