Death wobble help

Teamtj199

Hey everybody new to this forum. So I'm having a problem somewhere in my steering, today while pulling out of my driveway I tried to turn and my wheel spun but it was like my tires only went halfway then after straightening out my steering wheel was upside down! Then while getting off the highway I got the enevatable jeep wobble going around the off ramp. At first I thought maybe stripped gears in the gear box but there is no grinding ,everything looks to be straight, no leaks. Suspension is a 4in pro comp with a adjustable track bar. This happend about a month go but I just took it to get aligned and I cant afford to keep getting 90 dollar alignments Haha. Thanks.

Are the adjustment sleeve bolts tight on the drag link?

That was my thought. Very dangerous if they are loose. I had it happen to me on a 400+ mile trip, wheel started straight but by the time I got home my wheel was sitting about 4 oclock position. I think over time the sleeve became oblong and would not tighten. A new $10 or $20 dollar (cant remember) sleeve solved the issue.

Get it fixed asap, one of these times you'll lose steering all together and it wont be pretty wherever it happens.

So I read what you guys had said the bolts are tight but I looked and it looks like the the rid that goes to the pitman arm is bent here is a picture

20190114_105654.jpg

20190114_105646.jpg

The photo is distorted enough that it's impossible to tell if the drag link is bent or not. It should be perfectly straight. Use a string, straightedge, etc. to see if it's straight or not. It looks like it has a major bend in it but the photo makes it hard to tell.

Last edited:
OMG that's one for the record books. With 35" tires it's time you upgraded that steering system, it's surprising your drag link bent before the stock skinny hollow tie rod did.

@Teamtj199 35" tires add a lot of stress to the steering system, I'd go for Currie's heavy-duty steering upgrade kit which replaces that bent drag link and the tie rod with some seriously beefy replacements. It's a bolt-on upgrade, no modifications are needed to install it.

This one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B43Q7F5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and Teamtj199
I'm pretty sure I dont owe anyone money and if I do I'd rather they beat my ass then beat my jeepHaha. I'd really like to know how and why this happend.