Death Wobble - thought it was the RV, but then realized it was the Jeep being towed

mots

Goldilocks Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Death Wobble...from a Jeep being towed behind an RV...and it was not a Wrangler!

This story showed up in my feed today and I found it amusing. I had never heard before, but Cherokee Trailhawk owners are also complaining about DW, and coming up with crazy stories like this one.

https://rvlove.com/2019/08/06/something-is-very-wrong-death-wobble-breakdown/

In all honesty, I didn’t have the patience to watch it all. I just read the article and found the topic to be amusing because at first I thought it was an RV with a solid axle.

That is an interesting story that I can't quite wrap my head around. Several irrelevant and/or questionable things in it.

"Some years and models of Jeeps..."
"...most likely to occur when you hit a large bump while traveling about 50 mph ."
"...an aftermarket part installation ..."
" it isn’t like the car is bound to have a problem without the install. " but "Jeep should have covered this expense."

Reactions: mots
At least we know death wobble isn't exclusive to the Wrangler, haha.

Reactions: mots
Yep, that's right @Chris ! The whole story is just bizarre, that's why I couldn't keep watching all of the video. There is so much misinformation about DW and my mind wasn't feeling it. I even thought they were full of shit at first about the newer Cherokee, but then I looked it up!

I have only experienced DW on one stock Wrangler twice, and it was because a guy selling a few TJ's that I was test driving thought the tire sidewall max PSI was the correct pressure! I duplicated the issue for him on the same rough road where it happened going 45 MPH. After I found out what was wrong 5 minutes later, I lowered to stock PSI and there was no longer a problem. We could then ride the rough roads at will with no issues.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
At least we know death wobble isn't exclusive to the Wrangler, haha.
That’s the truth and needs said .

Death wobble is more common on wranglers only because people are putting tires that are huge for the chassis weight , and a little TJ can’t fight back. . I’m not saying it’s wrong to do that , but look at the tire sizes mentioned on most DW threads ...33” and larger . Not all , but most. I run 33’s, so I’m not slamming anyone .

Bigger tires are harder to balance , heavier , wear components ...just a good formula for DW.

I had it happen in an F250 diesel...it took way more speed to set it off due to the energy needed to overcome the bigger trucks designed tracking ability. Death Wobble at 80 is really , really scary.

Reactions: mots and Chris