Death Wobble Trackbar Replacement Stalemate

carntsen

Hey all,
My 2006 TJ has developed a death wobble. I took it to a local shop that specializes in 4x4 and performance upgrades.
The jeep has a 4" lift that was installed by a previous owner.
The shop quickly identified the trackbar as the cause, but is unable to change it unless I can identify the make. I have no idea the make, and not sure why this is relevant to replace it. He comments that he needs the make to ensure the 'Pins' line up correctly, as all lift kits are a little different.

We are in a bit of a stalemate with no work proceeding until the make of the lift kit or track bar can be identified.
Is this a legit question and concern, or Should I quickly pull my Jeep out of there and find another shop?

Help!
Cam

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
That’s sort of borders on the edge of ridiculous-

You either need the parts that are needed to fix that or you need a replacement track bar- And it does depend on what’s been done to make sure everything will mount

If you will send a picture most likely we can help you

And give them a big slap and tell them that’s from a guy named Jerry Bransford and they’ll know what you mean

Depending on the make of the track bar some of the attaching hardware may have required drilling out the stock mounting point. JKS and curry have different sized non stock mounting hardware for two. The shop may have had to pull the track bar to find out mods which they weren't willing to do for free.

Reactions: AndyG
Depending on the make of the track bar some of the attaching hardware may have required drilling out the stock mounting point. JKS and curry have different sized non stock mounting hardware for two. The shop may have had to pull the track bar to find out mods which they weren't willing to do for free.

See post #2.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That shop is clueless, stop using it. Simply get an adjustable length track which will match the mounting bolt holes without effort.

And while a loose track bar can allow DW to occur more easily the most common root cause of DW is an imperfectly balanced front tire.

The TJ has been out for so many years. You would think they have come into this problem before. I would second guess this shop.
It’s so easy to find out what track bar you’ll need. Take some pictures of the track bar.Will tell you what it is.
Don’t buy a track bar that uses a drop bracket. Best track bars to buy are JKS or Currie. Currie being number one.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Yep. get a JKS or a Currie adjustable and be done with it.

I'm jusy impressed they didn't try to sell you a steering stabilizer though so maybe they're not totally a lost cause...

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
The Shop is saying they need to dismantle the front end (Billable), to remove and then research the trackbar (Billible), before they can provide a repair quote, because i cannot tell them what brand it is.

My guess is that this shops sells and installs aftermarket parts, but really has no clue how to repair anything. Sounds like I need to pull it out of there quickly. Does anyone have any shop recommendations in the Sudbury, ON area?

The Shop is saying they need to dismantle the front end (Billable), to remove and then research the trackbar (Billible), before they can provide a repair quote, because i cannot tell them what brand it is.

My guess is that this shops sells and installs aftermarket parts, but really has no clue how to repair anything. Sounds like I need to pull it out of there quickly. Does anyone have any shop recommendations in the Sudbury, ON area?

A picture might help identify the track bar.

Hey all,
My 2006 TJ has developed a death wobble. I took it to a local shop that specializes in 4x4 and performance upgrades.
The jeep has a 4" lift that was installed by a previous owner.
The shop quickly identified the trackbar as the cause, but is unable to change it unless I can identify the make. I have no idea the make, and not sure why this is relevant to replace it. He comments that he needs the make to ensure the 'Pins' line up correctly, as all lift kits are a little different.

We are in a bit of a stalemate with no work proceeding until the make of the lift kit or track bar can be identified.
Is this a legit question and concern, or Should I quickly pull my Jeep out of there and find another shop?

Help!
Cam

Wow. Definitely take your Jeep and go elsewhere.I’d take it to get the tires checked and balanced. Bad tires (not round/cupping) or Imperfect balance are what trigger DW. You need good tires with perfect balance on a straight axle vehicle, especially with bigger tires. Insist on perfect or you’ll just be back. Go somewhere really good and not to some kid.

Components that are poor/worn may need to be replaced, and the front TB is a common one. Which one doesn’t matter due to it being part of a kit. 🤣 Most of us are not running kits. JKS adjustable would work fine, Currie is better quality.

But start with tires.

That is one dumb shop. All they’re doing is up selling customers. They didn’t identify the problem as the front TB. 🤣 They assumed you didn’t know what you’re doing and we’re scared shitless.

so maybe they're not totally a lost cause...

And what's wrong with that? ;)
RUBI skel 8 26 2 (4).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
A picture might help identify the track bar.

I'm still trying to figure out how it gets to anything past the first post without pictures of the front end and then the part(s) in question posted up to help us solve the problem.

I'm also more than a tad worried about any shop that regularly works on TJ's that can't at least proffer a very well educated guess as to what brand most aftermarket components are under a rig.

The good news is the OP is treating us not too differently than his shop is treating him, so there is that. Someone buy that boy a camera and show him how to use it.

I'm still trying to figure out how it gets to anything past the first post without pictures of the front end and then the part(s) in question posted up to help us solve the problem.

I'm also more than a tad worried about any shop that regularly works on TJ's that can't at least proffer a very well educated guess as to what brand most aftermarket components are under a rig.

The good news is the OP is treating us not too differently than his shop is treating him, so there is that. Someone buy that boy a camera and show him how to use it.

^ THIS ^.

In fairness, the op's question was not about a repair or recommendation about repair. The question was whether the shop's concern was legit and should he pull out of the shop.

The first thing I learned how to do on my first TJ, was how to do a dry steering test!!!!

Having owned CJ's before the TJ, I read all I could find, in print and online trying to educate myself in all things coil sprung!!!!!!

I'm not a guru but I can diagnose when I have death wobble and know how to get rid of it.

Reactions: ColoJeep

Based on the description of the shop in the original post, especially the "performance upgrades" part, I'd bet they rarely work on anything with a sold front axle.
Hey all,
... I took it to a local shop that specializes in 4x4 and performance upgrades.

For some reason I'm seeing mall crawlers even though it's been years since pickup trucks came with a solid front axle.