Death Wobble

Sorry but do a search. There are so many threads dealing with this issue I have lost count.

The usual trigger for DW is an imperfectly balanced or a bad tire. It doesn't matter if the tires were recently balanced, few tire shops take the time to get the tires balanced well enough to prevent problems like this... especially on the type of front-end that Wranglers and many trucks have.

Also, in addition to having your tires balanced perfectly (tell the tire shop to take their time on them to help you cure DW), do what is called a "dry steering test" which can find something loose that can make it easier for an out of balance tire to cause DW.

With the tires on the ground, have a helper repeatedly turn the steering wheel back & forth while you watch the front-end's steering system and look for side-to-side slop/movement where things are bolted together. There should be no slop between anything, specially where the passenger side of the track bar is bolted to the bracket on the axle.

Note that the drag link and tie rod are mounted on ball joints. That means you will be able to roll them back & forth with your hand somewhat but there should be no side-to-side slop at their ball joints. :)

FrontEnd.jpg

Last edited:
Yep the track bar is usually the culprit, compounded if its lifted and has worn components. I have had it on a ZJ several times. First time it was cured by a new track bar. I had a franken lift with longer springs and spacers, its was fine. Then I went to a Rubicon Express 4 and it hated the control arms and those spherical joints. Terrible death wobble. ended up putting rubber stock bushings in and it solved it. Certain wheels with too much offset or as Jerry said, wheels that arent round can cause it as well. I had two sets of tires at one time; 33's All Terrains which caused it and I also had 34 in swampers which I left on because it went away with them (the bias belted kind) Go figure. Lose components are a good place to start after the tires/wheels balancing and then the track bar is next. You can put your tire upagainst a curb and in park have someone inside the jeep turn it toward the curb and you can see if the track bar mounting points are flexing. Good luck!!