Death wobble

Paparock1

Angry SE
Supporting Member
today I experienced it for the first time. I started laughing. Just something else to investigate now. Then I saw this so had to post it here

I only experienced it once, and it was actually around 40 mph. The entire steering wheel left my hands and shit rattled off the dash, had to come to a complete stop for it to quit. Never quite figured out what it was exactly because I had all new control arms, track bar, and tires at home ready for install.

Reactions: Paparock1
I got pretty bad shakes not that long ago (not sure formal “death wobble” or not) between 40-55mph.

Since then the only things I did was a tire rotation/balance (be sure you clean your wheels/tires before going in, as they’ll balance them as they are) and greased all the front zerks (they needed it badly). I think my linkage up front was just loose allowing the unbalanced tires to kick into some pretty dramatic shaking.

Not a great experience...

Reactions: Paparock1
True death wobble is always fun.

The worst I've experienced was with my 94 F350. It's lifted on 37s, so it's got some size to it. I replaced the worn out tie rods the previous day, and the next day while drive @ 50mph thru a sweeping left turn, I hit a small frost heave.

When you got a big truck whipping 37s left and right as quick as it can, it is pretty violent. It was so violent it developed a small crack in the frame right above the front most leaf spring mount. Hahah

On my normal rough to work, a country road doing around 40 in a sweeping right hand turn. I have always avoided the inside line because it is rough. I think it was just the right speed and the bumpers are just perfect conditions for it. I had to come to a complete stop before the wobble stopped.

I have been wanting to install the Black magic Johnny joint washers and some new bolts to eliminate the cam washers, they have been on the to do list for a few weeks.

I crawled under and started looking around I noticed a crack in my driver side LCA bracket. Either the wobble exposed it or I have just missed it in the past. Broke out the welder and went to town. I wish I had good looking and strong welds. I haven't had one of my welds break so at least I have that going for me lol.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
got the washers in and welded up some mini skids for my LCA brackets out of 3/16th plate. I must say the steering is much tighter, I like it, I like it a lot! A simple upgrade that I feel was well worth it.

Well I intentionally hit the inner corner where said death wobble occurred. I took the inner line at 40 miles an hour and went right through it without a wobble. Thanks to this site and the members for all the experience that is shared here. I am pretty sure we could rule the world