Deceptive eBay seller

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Or why I allowed complacency to make me feel stupid. We all know the drill, there are a few deceptive sellers that depend on you not reading every single line in the description to fully understand what you are buying. Or, they have a low selling price and fuck you on the shipping.

I needed some 3M roloc sanding discs to replenish the abrasive cabinet. 3" in various grits and I wanted to try a few of the newer Cubitron since I have excellent results with the hard discs.

I do a search, the returns are myriad, varied and mind boggling trying to sort through quantities versus tolerable prices (I'm not bargain hunting, just decent prices for 15+ count boxes.) and after a bit, I have several in the cart as possible purchases.

Two identical ads showing the box of Green Corps discs, one is a bit cheaper, both wind up in the cart as I continue to sort through the bullshit.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=352576201405

The order shows up. It is one disc in a small envelope. Where is that info posted? That's right, the very last line in the description after all the other identical info is posted that all the other sellers are using to sell boxes or partial boxes of the same item. Yeah, fuck right off asshole. I'm not playing that stupid game.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That is deceptive indeed.

The main photo shows a box of them, and if it was really for a single disc, that should be in the title of the damn listing.
My fault but I was lulled into complacency due to that listing being in a long line of others with the same pic, same description, and quantities listed in a reasonable fashion.

My fault but I was lulled into complacency due to that listing being in a long line of others with the same pic, same description, and quantities listed in a reasonable fashion.

It's happened to me before as well for the same reason. You get countless numbers of results, all which appear the same, with the same pic, title, etc.

Then you end up buying the one that happens to be for 1 piece as oppose to 5, 6, or whatever number.

Or they give you a really low price in a multiple alternative ad only to crazy overcharge you on the postage. I’ve been gotten once that way.

it clearly says in the ad "for one disc only"..am I missing something? you got screwed because you didnt read...seems like you would be the first one to point out the idiocracy in this post

Reactions: Travis and Starrs
it clearly says in the ad "for one disc only"..am I missing something? you got screwed because you didnt read...seems like you would be the first one to point out the idiocracy in this post

You are not missing anything. See the first sentence in the first post again ...

FWIW, I've also fallen for the same nonsense that @mrblaine wrote about here. Few years ago, I was trying to buy a set of 4 used OEM wheel center caps for my Mazda Protege after I bought it used. Saw a bunch of similar looking ads, same description, exactly the same thing Blaine is describing. I saw a listing that was cheaper and the main photo had 4 caps, so I bought it. And I got just one in the mail. I went and checked the ad and it did say "1 cap only" but it was in a much smaller font at the very bottom of the page, and after some white space at the end of the description. I simply missed seeing it because I just wanted to buy a set and be done with it.

I felt so stupid after that incident that I set two rules for myself (1) never buy anything on eBay when I'm mentally tired (2) read and read and yet again read the seller's description carefully before bidding or clicking "buy it now".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I think if you’ve done a few on line transactions, you will get bit. Pisses me off and then I laugh at myself, because I go back and read it and find it was hidden and I missed it. It happens.

Reactions: psrivats
First, I'm not screwed. The return is in process. Secondly, if you shop on eBay, you'd get fucked on every purchase if you employ the same outstanding skills in reading that you used here.

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats and Chris
You are not missing anything. See the first sentence in the first post again ...

FWIW, I've also fallen for the same nonsense that @mrblaine wrote about here. Few years ago, I was trying to buy a set of 4 used OEM wheel center caps for my Mazda Protege after I bought it used. Saw a bunch of similar looking ads, same description, exactly the same thing Blaine is describing. I saw a listing that was cheaper and the main photo had 4 caps, so I bought it. And I got just one in the mail. I went and checked the ad and it did say "1 cap only" but it was in a much smaller font at the very bottom of the page, and after some white space at the end of the description. I simply missed seeing it because I just wanted to buy a set and be done with it.

I felt so stupid after that incident that I set two rules for myself (1) never buy anything on eBay when I'm mentally tired (2) read and read and yet again read the seller's description carefully before bidding or clicking "buy it now".
The part I'm trying to wrap my head around is with eBay's now very liberal return policy, who isn't sending them back? Or, who is actually happy paying 17 bucks for an item that is worth about 80 cents on a good day? I'm tempted to cancel the return just so I can leave them shit for feedback.

Yes. Adequate reading comprehension skills.
4D6666BD-6577-4219-A68B-D5E95DF6FF24.jpeg

All that had to be done. Clearly states what is for sale. In all caps mind you. The OP stated he messed up and admitted his ignorance.

Edit**complacency not ignorance.

Reactions: ptw
View attachment 109190

All that had to be done. Clearly states what is for sale. In all caps mind you. The OP stated he messed up and admitted his ignorance.

Edit**complacency not ignorance.
Yeah, just about to say that, complacency. I needed an assortment. Several grits in the 3" discs. I looked at well over 200 listings adding the ones with potentially the same quantities with reasonably close prices to the cart. The overwhelming majority of the listing have the quantity in the title or the first line of the description. I had several in the cart with the same picture and box quantity. In the cart, if you don't click back you don't see the description and I just missed the very last line.

I have several hundred purchases on eBay. Been using it since May of 05 so it isn't like I don't know how sellers do things. In fairness, the deceptive sellers and ambiguous descriptions for stuff I tend to use is far better than it used to be.

eBay should crack down on bullshit like this.

Here's an example:

Back when I had my BMW M3, I was looking for a set of competition package wheels for it. I found a set for $3500 with tires already mounted on them, but they appeared to be in flawless condition, and the tires also appeared brand new. Technically this price wasn't too far out of line, as a new set of wheels would have been $2200, and a set of tires for them would have been around $1500.

Anyways, I message the seller and ask him what the production date is on the tires. He promptly replies to me and says, "The production date is 1004.".

That means the fucking tires were produced in the 10th week of 2004. So in other words, they were the OEM tires that had never been driven on, they were just take offs since the vehicle was brand new.

Keep in mind that I was inquiring about these wheels probably in 2013 or so.

So yeah... this asshole was trying to ask a premium price for tires that are 9 fucking years old! Not only are they unsafe to drive on at that point, but they are basically throw away tires with zero value, yet the asshole is asking full price.

The guy doesn't disclose the production date once in the ad (I had to ask him). IMHO, eBay should not allow shit like that, because it's actually unsafe. Someone who doesn't know any better gets on there and buys a set of wheels and tires, not even knowing that the tires are way past their production date.

I see this continue to happen to this day with wheels and tires and it blows my mind.

Anyways, rant over.
I suppose you also believe that they shouldn't allow folks to buy 6" cut off discs until they prove they are not going to run them on a 4.5-5" angle grinder with the guard removed?

Reactions: Travis
First, I'm not screwed. The return is in process. Secondly, if you shop on eBay, you'd get fucked on every purchase if you employ the same outstanding skills in reading that you used here.

I buy and sell a ton on Ebay and have never been screwed...but then again I read the entire ad, check feedback etc..i did read your ramblings and what I got from it was this...you didnt read the entire ad, got hosed and came to a public forum to gripe about it.

I buy and sell a ton on Ebay and have never been screwed...but then again I read the entire ad, check feedback etc..i did read your ramblings and what I got from it was this...you didnt read the entire ad, got hosed and came to a public forum to gripe about it.

I've lost track of what your argument is about. A guy makes a harmless but irritating mistake by falling prey to a shady retailer. He comes here to complain a bit. Both about the shady retailer and his momentary lack of good judgement.

This is a cautionary tale that we can all relate to. It's nothing more than sharing the human experience.

Reactions: psrivats and mots