Decisions, decisions,, Help!

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am still looking for a 2004-2006 TJ after all the reading I have done on here so far. Found 4 or 5 interesting TJs in very good shape. Question is this. @ have the 4 banger in them and the others have the 4.0.
1. 4 banger has 72599 miles on it, the 2nd one has 152000 on it.
2. the others have the 4.0 and around same mileage, from 75000 to 165000.
I like looks of both but I do not see as much on here about 4 bangers as I do 4.0's.
I'm not a power or speed freak, just want a dependable tj that will last for several years. Can you guys tell the highs and lows of either of them?

Personally I would never own a 4 cylinder. You can't kill a 4.0 and there may be a time when the extra ponies and torque will get you out of a tight spot. Resale is better as well. Just my opinion.

Reactions: StG58
On the other hand, I have a four banger and love it. It's a 1999 SE with zero options. @MexiJeeper is correct though. Everything about the four banger TJ's is pretty light duty. Using it on the highway uphill is a challenge. Bigger tires are a problem, unless you radically change gear ratios. The four's don't like to be loaded down with any extra weight. No limited slip or lockers from the factory. The list of minuses is long. BUT, the four banger TJ's do have some pluses as well, in the earlier years with the old school 2.5 liter engine. Not in the 2004 - 2006 year range that you are looking at though. In those years, get the six and never look back.

I see zero benefit to the 2.5L engine since in real-world driving it doesn't get enough better mpg to warrant its significantly lower power. My opinion is that it actually doesn't get significantly better mpg at all since it has to be driven so much more aggressively to keep up with traffic. I'd hold out for the 4.0L engine.

Reactions: StG58
Yup, @Jerry Bransford , I can vouch for that as well from first hand experience. There is about zero real world difference in gas mileage between the 4's and the 6's. In fact, the sad truth is there is not enough difference in gas mileage between my Vortec 454 in the Suburban when it is freshly tuned up and the 2.5 in the TJ to make a difference. The 454 gets 16 mpg pretty much all the time. The 2.5 gets about 17 all the time. Injudicious use of the skinny pedal in the TJ puts me in Big Block Chevy territory. How sad is that?! Don't get me wrong, I love my four angry squirrels, but gas mileage isn't it's strong suit.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I was naive when I bought my TJ and thought the 4-cylinder would save me in MPG. I reasoned that I'd likely get in less trouble with the 4-cylinder since the lessened torque might prevent major breakage.

But, honestly, I think it comes down to your intended use. If this will primarily be a daily driver, hold out for the 6. If its mostly for fun, get the 4-cylinder and put the difference in price into mods. Offroad, its still going to be a beast, particularly if your build plan will eventually require a re-gear.

Look at my signature below, as well as picture threads, and you'll see that a 4-cylinder can be awesome.

Be aware that there are more mods that need to be done to a 4 banger jeep than a six. Also almost all mods are set up for the six, so your results with the four will vary. This is especially true for things like lift kits. The four is sensitive to weight, if you plan on adding a bunch of stuff or carry a lot of gear it will show. Like I said, I love my four and actively sought a good one out, but my usage is a corner case not typical.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Remember the 05-06 have the design flaw in the OPDA. I went thru 2 of them under warranty and was looking at a third. That is one often biggest reasons I got rid of the 4.0 and put in a 6.0.

Reactions: Chris
I searched high and low for a 03-04 4.0 automatic with cruise....glad I held out. I couldn't be happier.

Crown made a fix for under $100! First thing I did when I bought my most awesome LJR!

There are a couple of replacements on the market and I follow this subject closely. Results are mixed, some have great luck and others not so much. I suspect those that have "not so much" have starts of cam shaft gear damage when they out in the replacement. Then they replace but don't get the timing quite right which causes crappy performance which gets blamed on the OPDA.
The owners should replace the factory POS when they first hear the engine version of "angry sparrows."

All the above. 4vs6, the only advantage to an SE should be a greatly reduced selling price. If you can live with the SEs power shortage... i.e. you do not tow or DD on the interstate... it is just as good as the Sport. BUT it will be a harder sell in the future and it should be priced several $$$KK less than the 6.

The SE is/should be a buyers market.
The Sport/4.0L is a sellers market.

There are a couple of replacements on the market and I follow this subject closely. Results are mixed, some have great luck and others not so much. I suspect those that have "not so much" have starts of cam shaft gear damage when they out in the replacement. Then they replace but don't get the timing quite right which causes crappy performance which gets blamed on the OPDA.
The owners should replace the factory POS when they first hear the engine version of "angry sparrows."

I certainly hope I installed mine correctly then! I had read that it is either right or its wrong, there is no "kinda right". I can tell you that during the install process, I had lots of "wrong" as I kept getting thrown into limp mode. Just a centimeter adjustment in one direction got it working right.

In my case I never had the squealing monkeys or any indication that the gears were failing. I just did it as preemptive maintenance. The old OPDA's gears had some wear but nothing critical. I used my old OPDA's plug thingy as the Crown's plug was throwing codes.

I certainly hope I installed mine correctly then! I had read that it is either right or its wrong, there is no "kinda right". I can tell you that during the install process, I had lots of "wrong" as I kept getting thrown into limp mode. Just a centimeter adjustment in one direction got it working right.

In my case I never had the squealing monkeys or any indication that the gears were failing. I just did it as preemptive maintenance. The old OPDA's gears had some wear but nothing critical. I used my old OPDA's plug thingy as the Crown's plug was throwing codes.

These are the kind of tips that are really important. Nothing teaches like experience.!

image.jpeg
My 05 LJ that I bought last year with 102,000 mi. Makes no noise & runs exelent, now it has 115,000 + mi still good but I wonder if I should change it or leave well enough a lone. It looks factory but ? OPDA

There is Chrysler Jeep 1-800 number where they will tell you what recalls have been done to your Jeep. I called in for my '05 TJR they told me my OPDA had been corrected in an '07 recall. 150K miles to date and no issue. I'd check with Chrysler Jeep first.

There is Chrysler Jeep 1-800 number where they will tell you what recalls have been done to your Jeep. I called in for my '05 TJR they told me my OPDA had been corrected in an '07 recall. 150K miles to date and no issue. I'd check with Chrysler Jeep first.
I will do that then ,thanks I do not want to mess with it if it's good.

I pulled my OPDA out of my '06 LJ at 112,000 miles. Had a fair amount of wear with no sound at all. Replaced it with a Crown and re-installed the original sensor. No problems to date but have only added 3500 miles. I am running Royal Purple motor oil just to make sure the cam gear is getting decent antiwear protection. A friend runs an 05' also with the 4.0L and pulled his on my advice but his showed no wear whatsoever though he has as many or more miles than mine. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as some have no issues yet it seemed like many of the folks who had issues had them already at 30-40K.