Dedication to my job

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
So, my 35th anniversary at my job just happened to fall on the day of our monthly "Company Meeting" in January. It's common for someone from upper management or ownership to acknowledge folks with "Years of Service" awards at 5-year intervals. Well, the president of the company, whom I'm on very good terms with, failed to acknowledge my 35 years. Naturally, at the end of the meeting, I gave him shit about it. He quickly dug out his list of names, and there it was, my name, big as life. He apologized profusely, and said he'd get it next month.

The following month, we had our meeting, and once again, my name was omitted from the acknowledgements. And as before, I gave the man a hard time about it. Told him I'm thrice divorced, so I'm used to being ignored. Again, he apologized, and this time entered a reminder into his phone for the March meeting. Well, as luck would have it, the March meeting was cancelled, so he got a pass on that one.

The April company meeting happened this afternoon, and while the president wasn't there to lead the meeting, the VP was. He acknowledged my time, presented me with a nice award, and moved on with the meeting. Cool. After a while, he mentioned someone from one of our other divisions who he said had been with the company even longer than I had...38 years. At this point, I said that I needed to interrupt him for a spell, as I wanted to show the level of commitment that I had for the company. I walked up to the podium and asked him to read out loud what my hire date was, according to the award, which he did, to much laughter and applause...

really.jpg

Last edited:
So, my 35th anniversary at my job just happened to fall on the day of our monthly "Company Meeting" in January. It's common for someone from upper management or ownership to acknowledge folks with "Years of Service" awards at 5-year intervals. Well, the president of the company, whom I'm on very good terms with, failed to acknowledge my 35 years. Naturally, at the end of the meeting, I gave him shit about it. He quickly dug out his list of names, and there it was, my name, big as life. He apologized profusely, and said he'd get it next month.

The following month, we had our meeting, and once again, my name was omitted from the acknowledgements. And as before, I gave the man a hard time about it. Told him I'm thrice divorced, so I'm used to being ignored. Again, he apologized, and this time entered a reminder into his phone for the March meeting. Well, as luck would have it, the March meeting was cancelled, so he got a pass on that one.

The April company meeting happened this afternoon, and while the president wasn't there to lead the meeting, the VP was. He acknowledged my time, presented me with a nice award, and moved on with the meeting. Cool. After a while, he mentioned someone from one of our other divisions who he said had been with the company even longer than I had...38 years. At this point, I said that I needed to interrupt him for a spell, as I wanted to show the level of commitment that I had for the company. I walked up to the podium, and asked him to read out loud what my hire date was, according to the award, which he did, to much laughter and applause...

View attachment 89158
Lol...been there awhile. Now THAT'S a loyal employee right there!

Reactions: Squatch
Wow congrats on your 35 years (sorry, 135 years). Good for you. I worked for the same company for 24.5 years and got RIF’ed. I’ve been with the current company almost 12 years.
Now, or in the next few months, the current employer and the previous employer are merging. I work in the financial services industry if that gives you a hint.
Anyway I thought I was golden. Had a pension from company 1. And building my pension for company 2. Combined with 401k that I’ve participated in for over 30 years I had retirement all figured out, at least financially.
Now I’m worried that the new combined company will just adjust my tenure for the combined 36+ years and it will be 1 pension. Which is usually capped at 25 years. Not sure if there are legalities against that, but we will see. If that happened that would seriously hurt my retirement income.
And too with mergers you never know if you will wind up with a job or if the merger is an opportune time for the company to save money and trade u in for a newer model from the other company.
Sorry for the off topic, I guess where it ties in is that I am loyal to my employer. Would have spent my whole career at company 1 if I could have. Planned to spend the rest of my career at company 2.
Retirement for me is not until 2027 unfortunately.

Reactions: Squatch
Congrats! That's definitely some dedication right there and deserves better respect than that. But I imagine they're doing something right if they've kept your interest for that long.

Wow! Congrats. A rare feat these days.
BTW how much impact did this event have when you started? [emoji6]

• May 1, 1884– The eight-hour workday is first proclaimed by the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions in the United States. This date, called May Day or Labour Day, becomes a holiday recognized in almost every industrialized country.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow! Congrats. A rare feat these days.
BTW how much impact did this event have when you started? [emoji6]

• May 1, 1884– The eight-hour workday is first proclaimed by the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions in the United States. This date, called May Day or Labour Day, becomes a holiday recognized in almost every industrialized country.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
We're not a union shop, so the eight-hour workday didn't mean anything to us, even back then! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Thanks for all the kind words regarding my tenure at the plant, guys. I have become something of a fixture there, it would seem. In fact, the president of the company once worked in my department for the summer when he was seventeen years old. It seems that he and his older brother threw a party when their folks (their dad owns the place) were out of town, and they broke a rather expensive vase (sounds like the movie, "Risky Business", doesn't it?). Anyways, the boys and their friends had to work that summer to pay for the vase. I ended up giving the older brother a "Written Warning" for his performance and behavior, and firing one of the friends for poor attendance, amongst other things. Ten years later, when the friend was finally rehired (and now leads the Aeronautics Department), he started calling me "Terminator", which has stuck ever since. The older brother has his own division to run, and the younger brother became the president of the company. Hell, it looks like they all did better than I did, now that I think about it! :unsure:

Last edited:
Huge congratulations to you Squatch. Loyalty to one company works both ways, and most companies don’t do that any more. To realize that all your experience, and expertise is still valuable today is great. Sorry they missed doing it on time though. Oh, as far as what you want to be when you grow up goes, I always wanted to be a door gunner on a space shuttle, or a Walmart greeter. They did away with both positions, so I’m right there with you.

Thanks for all the kind words regarding my tenure at the plant, guys. I have become something of a fixture there, it would seem. In fact, the president of the company once worked in my department for the summer when he was seventeen years old. It seems that he and his older brother threw a party when their folks (their dad owns the place) were out of town, and the broke a rather expensive vase (sounds like the movie, "Risky Business", doesn't it?). Anyways, the boys and their friends had to work that summer to pay for the vase. I ended up giving the older brother a "Written Warning" for his performance and behavior, and firing one of the friends for poor attendance, amongst other things. Ten years later, when the friend was finally rehired (and now leads the Aeronautics Department), he started calling me "Terminator", which has stuck ever since. The older brother has his own division to run, and the younger brother became the president of the company. Hell, it looks like they all did better than I did, now that I think about it! :unsure:
You're like family with that company!