Deer hunting question

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just got on my first deer lease. I don't have a lot of freezer space and was wondering, how many pounds of meat will a Texas deer produce after it's cleaned and processed?

In Indiana, I've killed mature whitetail bucks from 150-190 pounds. After processing I'm usually left with anywhere between 65-80 pounds of meat. My dad and I do all our own processing and waste very little. Shot placement matters some. A mature deer in Texas will not be nearly as large as Indiana (I'm guesssing 120 pounds is a nice buck in TX). I would think that would leave one with about 50 pounds of meat.

Depends how you process it, but the already mentioned weights are correct...you will want to find a stand alone freezer; Your kitchen freezer will get full quick.

I've hunted many deer in TX, on my own property in the Hill Country and in South TX. Most doe are 70-110lbs. Most bucks are 100-140lbs. I never got more than 40lbs of meet from any of the deer I shot, typically more like 25-30lbs. I also quit messing with the front shoulders because they were so small and so much work for so little meat.

I'd always take the backstraps and tenderloin and set them aside for the best meals. I'd make dry sausage out most of the rest (mixing 60/40 or 50/50 with pork).

This is probably a question for Texas hunters. Do I need to keep the tag on the deer until I get it to the processor?

Thanks for all the replies. That's good information to know.

This is probably a question for Texas hunters. Do I need to keep the tag on the deer until I get it to the processor?

Yes, tag it immediately on the ground, and just leave it there. The processor you take it to gets checked by the game warden as well. If it’s a buck, he may just leave it taped to the rack until you pick it up. That’s what mine does anyway.

Reactions: Hog

Yes, put it on the antler, if you clean it yourself in the field or on a ranch, remove the head and take it with you during transport. You are supposed to keep the head with the body so that a game warden can identify whether you killed a doe or buck. We were pretty lax where we hunted in TX, but a game warden wouldn't have been. For example, I hunted my own property. I never took the deer anywhere but my garage. I never went above the limit, but didn't see a purpose in tagging the deer just to take it up the hill to the garage so I could clean and process it myself.

I've hunted many deer in TX, on my own property in the Hill Country and in South TX. Most doe are 70-110lbs. Most bucks are 100-140lbs. I never got more than 40lbs of meet from any of the deer I shot, typically more like 25-30lbs. I also quit messing with the front shoulders because they were so small and so much work for so little meat.

I'd always take the backstraps and tenderloin and set them aside for the best meals. I'd make dry sausage out most of the rest (mixing 60/40 or 50/50 with pork).
Important thing here, once you add pork you’ll need more space in the freezer.

With prices right now you’re better off to buy a pig and butcher it than deer hunt.

Reactions: JMT and Rick Flair
Don’t forget space for the racks

EA4FE4D6-139B-4F00-8326-EB486722E313.jpeg

Seems okay. I could skin and butcher with pretty much any blade shape these days the only thing it has to be is sharp! So have a way to keep it sharp. I always field quarter now. Whether it's Backcountry or a farm field. I have a spare fridge and spare freezer. The quarters go in a Tupperware storage bin and age in the fridge then I butcher it up in my kitchen. Best thing I ever did for quality of meat was stop going to the butcher. I don't know why but I've never had a gamey tasting animal if I butcher myself.

Reactions: Fixer6 and Tomcat
Yes, put it on the antler, if you clean it yourself in the field or on a ranch, remove the head and take it with you during transport. You are supposed to keep the head with the body so that a game warden can identify whether you killed a doe or buck. We were pretty lax where we hunted in TX, but a game warden wouldn't have been. For example, I hunted my own property. I never took the deer anywhere but my garage. I never went above the limit, but didn't see a purpose in tagging the deer just to take it up the hill to the garage so I could clean and process it myself.

Be careful on removing the head in the field (not real sure why you would). There are some rules that are a bit unclear around removing the proof of sex before you quarter the animal.

Seems okay. I could skin and butcher with pretty much any blade shape these days the only thing it has to be is sharp! So have a way to keep it sharp. I always field quarter now. Whether it's Backcountry or a farm field. I have a spare fridge and spare freezer. The quarters go in a Tupperware storage bin and age in the fridge then I butcher it up in my kitchen. Best thing I ever did for quality of meat was stop going to the butcher. I don't know why but I've never had a gamey tasting animal if I butcher myself.
Probably because you know you've aged your Deer the correct number of days that you wanted to age it.

Reactions: B00mb00m
I don't know why but I've never had a gamey tasting animal if I butcher myself.

We typically skin the deer asap, remove any scent glands or organs that can compromise the taste. When I see a deer tied to a car roof or laying in the back of a truck driving halfway across the state, with the skin still on, I know why some people don't like venison.

We typically skin the deer asap, remove any scent glands or organs that can compromise the taste. When I see a deer tied to a car roof or laying in the back of a truck driving halfway across the state, with the skin still on, I know why some people don't like venison.

Why are you skinning immediately? Is it the weather difference? I’ve been hunting my whole life, been around old school hunters my whole life. I’ve never skinned a deer or heard of anyone skinning a deer in the field.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
I butcher in the field, hung overnight skin on, and only meat goes in the cooler. Head and skin go in the truck bed.

I use a filet knife for butchering. A decent Gerber with sharpener in the sheath.

Skin it when you process the animal. Everyone argues how long to hang the deer but I've never had a discussion about when to skin the animal.

Reactions: Apparition
I skin my deer as soon as I get it back to camp. And that is as soon as I kill it and gut it then head to camp. Here in Northern California in the area I'm in, our Deer season is in August & September. So we want to get the hide off of it as soon as possible to start cooling down the meat.

Reactions: Cornbread