Deer hunting question

I butcher in the field, hung overnight skin on, and only meat goes in the cooler. Head and skin go in the truck bed.

I use a filet knife for butchering. A decent Gerber with sharpener in the sheath.

Really? Why would you process it in the dirt? I'm assuming it's warm weather? I'd typically freeze to death trying to fully process the animal.

I skin my deer as soon as I get it back to camp. And that is as soon as I kill it and gut it then head to camp. Here in Northern California in the area I'm in, our Deer season is in August & September. So we want to get the hide off of it as soon as possible to start cooling down the meat.

That makes sense. We hunt in November/December. Even a mild winter it's typically below freezing.

I guess all you guys hunt with tractors or trucks nearby? I haven't been able to drag a deer to a truck for a decade. Dragging sucks anyhow, i'd always quarter and backpack out its clean and easy an ready to age in a fridge and easy to butcher on the kitchen counter when you're ready. If you split the hide at the belly with animal on its side on the ground and fold it up its like laying its own tarp on the ground to keep dirt and hair off the meat.

Proof of male doesn't have to be ahead attached you can leave the gonads attached to one of the quarters here in WA and you are good.

Reactions: Tomcat
I guess all you guys hunt with tractors or trucks nearby? I haven't been able to drag a deer to a truck for a decade. Dragging sucks anyhow, i'd always quarter and backpack out its clean and easy an ready to age in a fridge and easy to butcher on the kitchen counter when you're ready. If you split the hide at the belly with animal on its side on the ground and fold it up its like laying its own tarp on the ground to keep dirt and hair off the meat.

Proof of male doesn't have to be ahead attached you can leave the gonads attached to one of the quarters here in WA and you are good.

I believe (not positive) Maine requires leaving the gonads attached as well.

In California, our Deer are a little smaller, and I can make a backpack out of the buck by cutting his front legs and feeding them through the rear legs. Now in Nevada, that's a different story. I do like you do. Use a pack frame and their hid as a tarp and quarter them, or if I have the time and weather is good, I bone them out. And leave the sex organ attached.

Is Pokah a name of a town you're from?

Is that a serious question or are you busting my nuts? Just a dumb handle I've been using for years. Pokah - is Maine's dumb accent when they say poker. My friends used to call me the poker police because I'd get pissed when they splashed the pot or folded out of turn.

I know my next house will have a freezer big enough to hang a deer or two. Early season is too damn hot to hang deer; I usually quarter and let sit for 2 days before I process. I leave the hide on depending on the weather at least until I get to the house. As long as the meat temp isn't going up and down, it's usually fine (to a certain point).
I hunt private land and get get my jeep very close to a field edge if I have to drag. Public land I hunt is different story, those get quartered and packed.
Keep your knives sharp, dull knives are dangerous.

Really? Why would you process it in the dirt? I'm assuming it's warm weather? I'd typically freeze to death trying to fully process the animal.
It’s Minnesota, freeze it overnight. Cut it up in the morning.

No dirt, hang it from the deer stand and bone it out. Clean up anything at the house when I get home.

Here’s some pictures of my process.

Kill deer
623C9B89-6DD6-48AB-AE28-58CF9232D144.jpeg

Gut and hang deer
9EAB9FE5-D434-4A38-85EE-12BDE11F73A7.jpeg

Next day skin deer

4D0DB984-CCBE-4B45-BB18-44CE48C0D49E.jpeg

Butcher
5999657F-60E1-4DC0-A967-F1D052BDC788.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Why are you skinning immediately? Is it the weather difference? I’ve been hunting my whole life, been around old school hunters my whole life. I’ve never skinned a deer or heard of anyone skinning a deer in the field.

We skin the deer when we get back to camp. If shot in the morning, skin at lunch. Usually the weather is cold and if we wait too long, the hide will be frozen. In the field we only remove the entrails and scent glands.

After skinning, we wash the meat down, to remove the hair before we split and quarter.

Reactions: Cornbread
Another question. I think I have decided on a feeder. It holds 400#. If I have it set to go off twice a day, how long will it last? I plan on going once a month until November.

Another question. I think I have decided on a feeder. It holds 400#. If I have it set to go off twice a day, how long will it last? I plan on going once a month until November.
How many pounds per throw is it dropping? Some feeders run up to 20 sec. throws, without knowing how much per throw, it is hard to estimate.
1 pound seems low, lets go with 5 pounds per throw x 2 daily (10x7)= 70lbs/week
400/70= 5.7 weeks. That would be dropping all 400lbs, you could probably make you 30 day rotation.
10lbs could be conservative, but it would at least start making a pattern for the deer to check.
I don't use baits/plots/attractants, so I only using simple math to work out the issue.

Edit: Found this on the Moultrie site:
1589893338890.png

So, perhaps you should be good to run the full 20sec throw every. Run it at 15sec and adjust as needed.

Be careful on removing the head in the field (not real sure why you would). There are some rules that are a bit unclear around removing the proof of sex before you quarter the animal.
Never did remove head before quartering whether in the field or hanging.

You can put a large plastic trash can under the feeder when it throws, then remove the corn, weigh, and do the math.

The different rules from state to state are weird. We can't bait so hearing you guys talk about feeders is taboo to me. When I made that comment I remembered hearing something about the head of a deer not being considered proof of sex somewhere. That prompted me to look up the Texas laws...I gotta go so don't have time to find it again but the language around removing the head is a bit unclear.

Last edited: