Deer hunting question

Get a copy of this. Guy rolls the meat right off the deer never cuts a bone.
View attachment 162596
I might have to look that book up! He sounds like a master.

I mostly stopped gutting deer about 3 years ago. I learned a way to quarter from the outside, once I remove the rear quarter on one side, I reach in and take the tenderloin by hand, roll the deer over and do the other side. I couldn't do that on the S Texas ranch I hunted because they wanted to weigh every deer and age them by teeth. It is what it is.

Kill deer.

It's very important to do this FIRST 🤣
Don’t forget the guy that didn’t

1589907776769.jpeg

Reactions: Pokahpolice and JMT
I might have to look that book up! He sounds like a master.

I mostly stopped gutting deer about 3 years ago. I learned a way to quarter from the outside, once I remove the rear quarter on one side, I reach in and take the tenderloin by hand, roll the deer over and do the other side. I couldn't do that on the S Texas ranch I hunted because they wanted to weigh every deer and age them by teeth. It is what it is.
It’s a DVD. Like $3 on eBay.

oddly I was at lunch one day talking about it and it turned out I was eating with his brother. I never paid attention to his last name on the video.

Reactions: JMT
Still another question.

I shoot a 30-30 150 grain bullet. As long as I stay with a 150 grain bullet, does it matter who manufacturers it? Will my Marlin shoot different manufacturers bullets differently?

Still another question.

I shoot a 30-30 150 grain bullet. As long as I stay with a 150 grain bullet, does it matter who manufacturers it? Will my Marlin shoot different manufacturers bullets differently?
For the ranges you’ll be shooting, it shouldn’t be an issue. But, yes, changing manufacturers does matter, find a round you like and stick with it; practice with different manufacturers to get a feel for how your rifle responds to them.

Reactions: lowranger
I got 70 lbs out of this one. Typically the same with mature bucks, but 45 or less with does. I use a Havalon for everything for a blade except the esophagus. Gut immediately. On ice after quartering. Quarter at the camper or process completely if I'm headed back home as soon as I get to the house. Leave tags on until processed. Proof of sex required until processed or at final point of consumption. I just cut off the sex organs and keep till I get home.

20191221_081158.jpg

One final question.

After several trips to the gun range, I finally got the scope adjusted. This is from a Marlin 30-30 at 100 yards. Is this good enough for an ethical kill shot? I think it is the best I can do.

15905371843087678607250919392119.jpg

One final question.

After several trips to the gun range, I finally got the scope adjusted. This is from a Marlin 30-30 at 100 yards. Is this good enough for an ethical kill shot? I think it is the best I can do.

View attachment 164755
Are those 1” squares?

Hell you are damn near where I buy my rifles. Get yourself a LaRue. You’ll be quarter sized groups.

I guess two or three boxes. It took me awhile to get it to this point.
Clean the barrel, not as big a deal on a sore bought rifle, but you want to break the barrel in. Shoot a couple rounds, clean, shoot, clean, shoot, etc.
Just clean the barrel real good and try your groups again, they will tighten up as you get that barrel smooth/cleaned out.

Most likely in a sled. The average guy is not shooting those types of groups at 100 yards free shooting. Those are Olympic type groups.
I was just asking to try to help him out. Nothing was mentioned on how he was set up to sight in his 30-30 with a scope at 100 yards. 1 to 2 boxes to get him where he is now? He is high, low and high to the right. Just wanted to make sure he had a "solid" rest.