Defective pads on my Ram 1500

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So yesterday I found someone’s brake liner in the middle of my streeet. Today I realized it was my own! Pulling my 8000lb camping trailer tomorrow through the mountains so pretty happy this happened today.

I heard some grinding and pulled the wheel. The liner on the front and back separated from the backing and trashed the rotor. The other side had maybe 50% material left so I can’t explain how it happened other than a defective brake pad. Truck was brand new when I bought it and has 60,000 km.

pads on the left (no liner) were rear passenger, right was rear driver.

F5AC52FE-E009-4D76-93DA-76AE22539820.jpeg

1C25A0DF-E5CF-4E92-917F-8F1A9BBA0685.jpeg

Judging by how corroded those backing plates are, you have a frozen piston. I would replace the calipers for the piece of mind of pulling 8,000 lbs with a 1500 through elevation.

So yesterday I found someone’s brake liner in the middle of my streeet. Today I realized it was my own! Pulling my 8000lb camping trailer tomorrow through the mountains so pretty happy this happened today.

I heard some grinding and pulled the wheel. The liner on the front and back separated from the backing and trashed the rotor. The other side had maybe 50% material left so I can’t explain how it happened other than a defective brake pad. Truck was brand new when I bought it and has 60,000 km.

pads on the left (no liner) were rear passenger, right was rear driver.

View attachment 181070

View attachment 181071
You live where you need to do more maintenance to your brake system. The bowed pad tells part of the story. I'd guess that one was next to the piston, the ends locked into the saddle and bowed the backer which blew the friction lining off. The rust behind the lining says its been that way awhile.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is the first time I have heard of the friction liner blowing off. Makes sense now looking at the rust.