Supporting Member
WTB build parts for a HD build of the Dana 30 and Dana 35 axle. DELETE

Looking for the following
  • Aftermarket carriers for both the 30 and 35
  • ARB or equivilant locker for both the 30 and 35
  • Chromoly axles
  • 4:10 ring and pinion gears

Last edited:
Take a look at Revolution Gear & Axle's 'Super30' & 'Super35' shafts, the 30s are Chromoly & the rears are 1541h and both are 30 spline (upgraded from the 27 spline stock). You can buy the package with ARB lockers from a few places & you're good to go, RGA has all the gears too. Here's the axles:

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/rak...-xj-zj-us-made-front-axle-kit-super-30-30spl/

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/dc-...scovery-rear-axle-kit-91-06-wrangler-super35/

this is an example of the package deal that has the locker, but I'd talk to the shop that's doing the install for their supplier unless of course you're doing it yourself

https://4wheelonline.com/revolution...-tj-xj-30spl-super35-w-arb-air-locke.273696.0

I think when I did it the shop got them through Quadratec

Take a look at Revolution Gear & Axle's 'Super30' & 'Super35' shafts, the 30s are Chromoly & the rears are 1541h and both are 30 spline (upgraded from the 27 spline stock). You can buy the package with ARB lockers from a few places & you're good to go, RGA has all the gears too. Here's the axles:

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/rak...-xj-zj-us-made-front-axle-kit-super-30-30spl/

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/dc-...scovery-rear-axle-kit-91-06-wrangler-super35/

this is an example of the package deal that has the locker, but I'd talk to the shop that's doing the install for their supplier unless of course you're doing it yourself

https://4wheelonline.com/revolution...-tj-xj-30spl-super35-w-arb-air-locke.273696.0

I think when I did it the shop got them through Quadratec

Yeah, I've looked at doing it this way but a couple of things. The Dana 35 Rev kit are NOT chromoly according to Revolution. However they are stronger due to the 30 spline, that paired with the carrier is way stronger than the stocker setup. Evidently Superior used to offer a kit with a c clip eliminator, actual chromoly axles and a carrier all in 30 spline. This has since been either discontinued or whatever. That said I would almost go to a Dana 44 and spend the extra unless I get a response on here from someone that already did this upgrade and wants to move to a Dana 44 or Dana 60 and sell off their built Dana 35.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've looked at doing it this way but a couple of things. The Dana 35 Rev kit are NOT chromoly according to Revolution. However they are stronger due to the 30 spline, that paired with the carrier is way stronger than the stocker setup. Evidently Superior used to offer a kit with a c clip eliminator, actual chromoly axles and a carrier all in 30 spline. This has since been either discontinued or whatever. That said I would almost go to a Dana 44 and spend the extra unless I get a response on here from someone that already did this upgrade and wants to move to a Dana 44 or Dana 60 and sell off their built Dana 35.

Hope that makes sense.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense. They're also made of stronger material in addition to the larger diameter.

I was looking to do the same thing last year & ran into trouble finding the S35 in chromoly & when I asked RGA about it they said they stopped using it “because of the C-clip. It is soft and the tension that 4340 Chromo creates on the C-clip will break. We have learned that in the Industry no-one makes a Chromo axle anymore. Unless is specifically made for a C-clip eliminator axle which we don't provide yet. They are a 1541 Steel and for a Dana 35 is the industry standard right now!”

If you’re set on the chromoly I think someone still makes it, check 10 Factory & the below links, I couldn’t figure out if these fit a TJs Dana 35

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-282808-axle-shafts-rear-axle-shafts-dana-35-shafts.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=sup...UIdw&biw=1067&bih=489#spd=3061371500494791660

The C-clip eliminator was discontinued & I can’t recall the reason. But from what I’ve read it’s not much of an issue because the c-clip itself doesn’t fail, it only causes problems when the shaft breaks (& walks out of the tube, the classic Dana 35 nightmare scenario), however accounts of S35 shafts breaking are rare, in fact I don’t think I’ve seen one. The small number of accounts I’ve read about S35 failures have been gear or locker related. One guy in particular says he broke his ring gear and/or pinion twice, though I suspect he probably installed them himself incorrectly but I don’t know. I’ve also read about components within the lockers failing, an issue that can afflict any rear.

Building an S35 wasn't cheap which made it a tough decision. In my case it turned out to be a good move but if I had to do it over AND didn't believe an S35 was up to the task for my purposes, I'd build a Currie 44 & be done with it, stronger in every measure than the axles Jeep put under the TJ.

Edit: my apologies, I didn't realize this was posted in the parts wanted section, I thought you were looking for either new parts or the swap you mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
All good and thanks for all of the advice. I’m really impressed with some of the tech info on the forum, very helpful and insightful to make a decision.

So YOU are running a BUILT Dana 35/Super 35?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good and thanks for all of the advice. I’m really impressed with some of the tech info on the forum, very helpful and insightful to make a decision.

So YOU are running a BUILT Dana 35/Super 35?

No problem, I rely on the forums pretty heavily before pulling triggers and agree they're great. This one has some particularly excellent write-ups in the frequently asked questions section. If you haven't seen this thread it's a great read:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/should-i-upgrade-my-dana-35-axle.2925/

And yes I put in the S30/S35 in spring of 2017 after weighing the options (S35/8.8/44) and decided the S35 would be best for my purposes - I'm a weekend warrior & try to wheel every other Saturday which has worked out nicely. I've put around 5,000 miles on the axles which has included probably 30 full wheeling days (approximately 8 hours each). The trails I run are all Pennsylvania mountain trails so lots of rocky muddy tree stump covered stuff with deep water & steep climbs, super tight turns & everything is usually slippery so it can be fairly treacherous going on the blue & black trails. Typically I'm the runt of the litter with the 30/35 & 3 inch lift/33s, usually surrounded by 44s & up with 35 inch tires & up but none of that has mattered, the RGA stuff hangs beautifully - I've popped the covers & inspected the gears & they're all good. I've lived by the general rules, stay at or under 35 inch tires & don't get too stupid with the pedal on the right & it has taken me every place I've wanted to go, the only limitations I've had are tire size/clearance related as opposed to axle related.

Yeah I read the article, it was super educational with the exception of one thing which left me slightly confused. They say to upgrade to the 30 spline carrier and a les but then in a conversation with Jerry Bransford yesterday he says to NOT run a locker in the Dana 35.

Regardless if you seem to have success I’m sure I will and I won’t be doing anymore than you and have no intentions of going bigger on the tires so it should suffice.

Are you running lockers?

I did not see the conversation with Jerry Bransford but he was probably referring to a stock Dana 35, it would be a bad idea to run a locker in that due to the smaller weaker shafts. The S35 was designed for purposes of running a locker, in fact if I'm not mistaken you there isn't an open carrier for a Dana 35 for 30 spline shafts, I think you must run a locker with the 30 spline shafts. I went ARB but you can also use an e-locker & I believe a Detroit locker also

I was pretty specific about converting the S35 and he said not to but if you’re making it happen that’s good enough for me.

I was pretty specific about converting the S35 and he said not to but if you’re making it happen that’s good enough for me.

thanks but I certainly wouldn't take my word over @Jerry Bransford 's :p so hopefully he'll pop in here.

But for clarification purposes I looked at the thread I believe you're referring to:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-and-33-tires.13705/#post-219229

assuming that's the one I still believe he's referring to not running a locker in a Dana 35, not an S35, two completely different animals. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he was responding to your comment "Now to get the axles built...slightly disappointing that the rear ended up being a Dana 35 but I'll be running 33s so it should be fine." A Dana 35 generally refers to a stock Dana 35 while an S35 is a Super35. I didn't see anything else in the thread that made me think a Super 35 was being discussed... I know, one letter can lead to some confusion

thanks but I certainly wouldn't take my word over @Jerry Bransford 's :p so hopefully he'll pop in here.

But for clarification purposes I looked at the thread I believe you're referring to:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-and-33-tires.13705/#post-219229

assuming that's the one I still believe he's referring to not running a locker in a Dana 35, not an S35, two completely different animals. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he was responding to your comment "Now to get the axles built...slightly disappointing that the rear ended up being a Dana 35 but I'll be running 33s so it should be fine." A Dana 35 generally refers to a stock Dana 35 while an S35 is a Super35. I didn't see anything else in the thread that made me think a Super 35 was being discussed... I know, one letter can lead to some confusion
that could very well be the issue, ass u me...I mean assume someone knew what I meant.

Question however. Why would one want to, or not want to use chromoly axles in the S35? ECGS has chromoly, Revolution does not and wont because it is a c clip style axle.

Question however. Why would one want to, or not want to use chromoly axles in the S35? ECGS has chromoly, Revolution does not and wont because it is a c clip style axle.
Revolution Gear uses a 1541H shaft whose heat treatment is better suited to the Super 35 and how its axle shaft bearings roll directly on it. It involves case hardening of the outer surface so its surface is very hard so it holds up better to the Dana 35's bearings yet keep a softer and less brittle core so it can absorb shock & rotational stresses better without fracturing. A c-clip axle shaft that is made with 4340 etc. alloys should be avoided due to the difficulty of getting its outer surface hard enough while being drawn down enough to maintain a ductile center. Where Super 35 axle shafts are concerned, Revolution made the right choice to go with 1541H. I learned that reason some years ago from a true metallurgical guru, mrblaine.

Fantastic. Thanks Jerry. Now for one more clarification. If I did a S35/ built up my Dana 35 with 30 spline axles and locker would it survive moderate trail use? Not much rock crawling or hammering, just some mountain 4X4ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.