Desensorize

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
We had a thread a few weeks ago that talked about the growing number of sensors becoming impossible to get. The salvage market will dry up someday.

To that end, I have a question. You can laugh or call me names if you want. I'm a big boy.

What would it take to remove all the sensors that throw engine codes or cause warning lights on a TJ?

The purpose of my question is to prolong how long we can keep the TJ on the road and functioning.

Reactions: AndyG
You would essentially have to remove the PCM and go with a carburetor. If you want to know how shitty that is at various altitudes and temperatures go drive an early yj.

There may be some aftermarket fuel injection systems as well that may work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You would essentially have to remove the PCM and go with a carburetor. If you want to know how shitty that is in versions altitudes and temperatures go drive an early yj.

There may be some aftermarket fuel injection systems as well that may work.

I expected my lack of knowledge on this subject would create some confusion.

Am I correct in saying you can by a replacement PCM?

My own personal opinion would be to convert the sensors to something a bit more popular, and far less sensitive, like LS versions, and use a Holley fuel management system to keep the thing running. It would require quite a bit of work to keep the gauges working like factory and some of the other features that are controlled by digital relays in the PCM, but its technically possible to do what you've suggested.

It's a non-issue as far as I am concerned. Between the aftermarket, and the fact that in the worst case scenario you could use sensors off something else. My 2005 for example is using a universal threaded crank position sensor made by Honeywell for the aftermarket. It works 100% fine and has no codes.
I would also say folks as a whole like to replace sensors when they are having issues that are not bad at all. Most of the time it is something else entirely that is causing the issue, but parts just get shot gunned on.

I’m hoping there are aftermarket systems available like there is for small block Chevy engines. @macleanflood posted a company called Haltech computers that does make systems for some of the rice burners but not for our Jeeps. Matt’s off-road recovery on YouTube has modified his Cherokee and the dash has all aftermarket gauges and I’m wondering if he’s modified his computer controls. I’m surprised there’s not an aftermarket setup for our Jeeps.

My own personal opinion would be to convert the sensors to something a bit more popular, and far less sensitive, like LS versions, and use a Holley fuel management system to keep the thing running. It would require quite a bit of work to keep the gauges working like factory and some of the other features that are controlled by digital relays in the PCM, but its technically possible to do what you've suggested.

Holley. Awesome stuff.

Haltech modifies their ECU all the time for vehicles. I'm sure their tech support folks would help out. Their ECU has all the necessary ingredients to work.

What stops me from doing it is two fold...one...I have managed to source sensors and they are working! I've gone wheeling and daily driving for two weeks without a check engine light or check gauges and feel confident I'm fixed. If the originals lasted 25 years I'm good for at least half that.

Two...if I was going the aftermarket ECU route I'd probably swap the engine. LS. Cummins. VW TDI. All have excellent aftermarket support. Not enough pep in my 4.0 to make it worth it...in my opinion. Although playing with a turbo setup intrigues me.

Matt's Offroad Recovery uses Holley products for their LS swaps...they have one in the Morrvair. The Banana is running a 4.7 stroker and factory ECU. The heavy wrecker will use a Holley too. Holley as a parent company owns a zillion companies...Accel for example...I got my cap and rotor from them.

-Mac

Screenshot_2023-01-23-12-58-30-46_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Reactions: RINC
I have an AEM Infinity on my TJ. Same flavor as the Haltech. It requires a bit of stuff to make it work. The dash is still driven by the factory PCM. It allows for much better fuel and spark control as well as loads of safeties that the PCM doesn't. Knock control, boost control, boost cut, lean cut, oil pressure cutout, WOT fuel learning and traction control are just a few of the things available.

I have an AEM Infinity on my TJ. Same flavor as the Haltech. It requires a bit of stuff to make it work.

I assume then you're running one set of oem sensors for the TJ ECU and dash and a parallel set for the AEV?

Why AEV over Haltech? Does the AEV support your 6R80 and the Haltech doesn't?

I've always wanted to hook up a logging multimeter, ODB scanner and oscilloscope so someone could answer what's in the secret sauce that makes the Mopars work vs aftermarket. It's not as simple as made in China.

-Mac

Reactions: kincaid.0678