Detroit lockers front & rear

Robert Sullenger

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is anybody running detroit lockers f/r? I have the dana 30/35, 4.0, 5 speed in a 2000 sport. I know the 35 needs to be upgraded to s35, but what about the 30? Also putting in a 2” lift with 31’s & 4.10’s.
I live in northern Alabama, so snow & ice isn’t a big concern. Just curious what people who have this combo think about it. Can’t wait to get it started.

Got it. So I guess go with a lunchbox type of locker like aussie? Reading some of your posts about the detroit in your past Jeep is what got me looking at them. I like the thought of point and go simplicity.

Got it. So I guess go with a lunchbox type of locker like aussie? Reading some of your posts about the detroit in your past Jeep is what got me looking at them. I like the thought of point and go simplicity.
An Aussie or No-Slip from Powertrax would be a good choice up front. The Aussie clicks softly when making turns in 2wd. The No-Slip works the same way but without the clicking... for about $80 more.

I ran a Detroit in the rear and LocRight in my front axle for about 3 years with 33" to 35 " tires. Since you live some place where you don't normally deal with snow you won't have to deal with the handling that some have issue with in snow and ice.

As Jerry said about the only time you know the locker is in the front in 2wd is as you are pulling into a parking spot at the grocery store or similar you'll hear it click and maybe get a little wiggle in the steering wheel.

Thanks guys for your help. I hope to have it done before the year is up. Just waiting on the rest of my lift to come in, then start on the regear/locker install.
Sorry, one more thing. Will the shafts on the 30 need replacing with a lunchbox?

Now for fun story time:

My step daughter was riding with me in the Jeep and we'd gone around a corner and out of the back a LOUD POP sound happens as the rear wiggles. Her eyes get as big as silver dollars and she looks at me and goes "Rick you're gunna be in trouble if you broke something on your Jeep. You know mom said you don't get anymore funds for a while" and I just smile at her and laugh a little and then I tell her how a Detroit locker works. This was the older style Detroit.

So I'm at home for some reason and my ex is driving my Jeep with her daughter. She goes around a corner and the Jeep make a loud pop and the back wiggles and the daughter looks at her mom and does the "MOM youuuuu're in so mych troubbbble you broke Ricks Jeep. He is going to be really mad that you broke his Jeep. So she played it up all the way back to the house. Well my ex (wife then) comes in and sits down and says there's something I've got to tell you. Now daughter is standing behind her mom with a shit eating grin on her face as she looks at me. So my ex starts to explain that she thinks she broke my Jeep and how sorry she is and tells me I can spend extra money on it if I need to. About 15 minutes later the daughter comes in and tells her mom that she hadn't broke anything. Of course we got a hell of a laugh out of it but the ex was pissed at the two of us for a few days.

I ran a Detroit in the rear and LocRight in my front axle for about 3 years with 33" to 35 " tires. Since you live some place where you don't normally deal with snow you won't have to deal with the handling that some have issue with in snow and ice.

As Jerry said about the only time you know the locker is in the front in 2wd is as you are pulling into a parking spot at the grocery store or similar you'll hear it click and maybe get a little wiggle in the steering wheel.
I live in Atlanta and wheel around the South East. This is the same combo I run in my jeep (Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear). I would recommend it for sure.

I have stock axles up front, but plan on upgrading whenever I snap one. In the rear I have some Alloy USA shafts the PO put in with the Dana 44 and Detroit.

I ran lockrite in the front and Detroit in the rear on an old build and loved it. Combine that with IROKs and it was unstoppable.

I only like running selectable now just because it's easier on tight trails and the road feel is great. It took some getting use to running the detriot in the rear. In 2wd the lockrite was great. Even in 4wd the lockrite felt just right.

Last edited:
I would recommend doing an inspection on the front axles U joints before installing the lunch box locker. Lockers put more stress on the U joints and IF the U joints are more than 5 years old; the seals could be compromised and grease may be missing.
When I installed the ARB up front I replaced the axle U joints and cut the yokes to accommodate full circle clips; to stop the U joint cups from flexing inside the yoke ears. Not a necessity, but something to consider.

Last edited:
I run detroits front and rear, it does not want to turn as well, and when making sharp turns it trends to snap and pop, you get used to it. I purchased because of simplicity, its always locked in. I got mine 5 years ago, I cannot remember where I got them.