Diagram for Passenger Seat Folding Mechanism?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find a good diagram of how the passenger seat is supposed to fold and slide far forward when pulled from the handle near the passenger's right shoulder? I'm trying to repair mine, and can't find anything helpful in the manual.

I also have a copy of the super-detailed 'service manual', but am not finding any helpful diagrams there either.

Edit: Answered this question years later, here.

Last edited:
Question on the operation of the seats...Mine didn't release at all when I got it, but a bit of spray lube got the little pull loops to release the mechanism that allows the seat back to fold forward...which is only begins to give you hope that there will be enough room to get to the backseat, and then that's it...

I have to release the track adjuster handle under the front of the seats to slide them forward at that point...which means I'll spend them first minute after I hop in trying to get the seat adjusted where I want it.

Is the pull loop supposed to allow the seat to slide forward as well as tilt?...or just tilt?

Mine is an '06, but I've always thought all TJ seats tilted and tumbled by pulling the upper lever. I'm only guessing, but it sounds like the mechanism under the seat isn't being pulled completely [by the cable], allowing it to release the bottom rear to be tumbled.

Reactions: PatMc
Is the pull loop supposed to allow the seat to slide forward as well as tilt?...or just tilt?

Definitely. At least, on my '97, the pull loop allows the seat to tilt forward, then slide forward, and also 'tumble' forward, meaning that even the lower portion of the seat leans forward a bit. You can also make that happen by pressing down on the lever under the front left side of the seat. But when the pull loop is functioning properly, as I hope to get mine working again, it's all one smooth motion.

Reactions: bedhed and PatMc